1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio Stile 1.6 Sports - Issue with Clutch

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Aman Alam, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi,

My newly acquired (bought from my cousin) Palio Stile 1.6 Sports is having issues with clutch:

• If after driving for a few minutes, in a gear, you press the full clutch for about 30-40 seconds, the car slowly starts moving on it's own
    • When this happens, the gear shifting becomes very tough
    • The clutch is overall very hard, and my left knee starts paining after running it for long
    • The breaks also appear very loose.
    I went to one service center here in Bangalore, they told me I need to replace the whole clutch kit, which will cost somewhere around 10k, and with labour, taxes etc, it will become around 21k.

The car is a 2007 model, and the odometer reads 23000 kms.
    Is there anything that I can do to sort of repair the kit?
    Has anybody else faced similar issues?

On other note, I read on some posts in other forums telling that Fiat was replacing the faulty clutch kit free of cost since it was a known defect in many models.
    This thread specifically : https://gearheads.in/showthread.php...lution-on-page-4&p=86452&viewfull=1#post86452

This user on another forum faced similar issues and turned out that only the master cylinder replacement got his issues solved : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...2002-gears-jammed-clutch-master-cylinder.html

Any help on this?

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  3. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I am still looking for a reliable service center to check this with.
    I am in Bangalore, and since this model is new with me, I don't know much about the folks who service it.
    Any help in suggesting who should I go to, please?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 17, 2016 ---
    Also, does this problem require full replacement of the clutch kit?
    I read in another thread (linked above) that somebody was able to get it fixed only by changing the master cylinder.

Any clue?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    If I am not wrong, heavy clutch replacement was taken care for Palio MJDs in the past by FIAT. You may find details about it on PUG yahoo group.
    Clutch is relatively hard on Palio , compare to newer FIATS, but not that hard it may pain, unless you are in stop and go traffic for an hour. Yes please, get checked the Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinders are leaking the fluid. Make sure the guys taking care of your clutch are experience in it, as they might messed up the installation.

For me, my 1.2 ELX Silver Angel, had got two time clutch replacement(both were my call and not something which car wanted) and one time Master and Slave replacement in its total run of 99K kms. Considering that my Palio drives mostly in Mumbai traffice, thats not bad at all.
  5. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Either or both of your master cylinder/slave cylinder for clutch is bust. Its not holding up hydraulic pressure, causing the clutch to activate despite holding the pedal and thus car moves on its own. Since clutch does not engage fully, gear shifts become hard.

Visit Rajesh at Hosa Road, he will be able to fix it properly. I dont see the need to change the clutch kit.

I'd suggest change both master and clutch cylinders for peace of mind. Both together will be around Rs 3250 plus labour

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/clutch-cylinders-palio.html
    kedarbendre likes this.
  6. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks a lot @SunnyBoi , Can you also provide any contact details of Rajesh at Hosa Road?
    Is it this one? https://goo.gl/maps/zrS2magiuho

@Navneet Thanks! My request in PUG Yahoo just got approved yesterday after more than a week, would put it there
  7. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Yes that's his garage. His phone number is 7406016506
    Sujit508 likes this.
  8. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks!
    I believe he's a trusted Palio person?

I am pretty new to all this and have poor network about cars, so just want to be careful and don't want to be duped.
    Hope you understand?
  9. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Yes he is. Hes the mechanic who's been exclusively fixing my last two palios.
  10. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Issue might be with Mounting Bracket of Clutch pedal . Please check with mechanic. Most of Palio owners facing this issue.
    1 month back my Stile was behaving same as yours. Mechanic confirmed that its Mounting Bracket issue. Please check first before you check Cylinders.