1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio MJD : play in the steering wheel, thud noise from the wheel assembly

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by reggaerahul, Oct 15, 2012.

1. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Updates :

- Showed the car to Mr. Sharad. For the thud noise, he said its due to the calipers and only way is to fix this is changing the caliper pins (cost ~700/- pair) , however, the problem may still occur if there is any play introduced in those calipers and the only way to fix then is to replace the caliper itself (which costs about ~5K per caliper) and for palios, those may not be easily available.

- Showed him the strut mounts. He found that one of the strut mount is uneven. The rubber part between the two metallic plates is a lot bigger than the other one. So he asked me to go to the first mechanic who replaced them.

- For the alignment issue and car having difficulties staying in straight line, he said it would be the lower arms which may need replacement but he wouldn't know without inspecting.

Next plan :

- Checked with the original mechanic and he agreed to get the defective strut mount changed. He would also put the pins for the calipers (TVS girlling 700/- pair). For my peace of mind, I also wanted to get the pair of steering ball joints changed but I am not able to get the original ones here in Pune. Checked with KAVA and he has the local ones, so not sure if I should replace them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I observed recently is that when the car is fully loaded (particularly the left front seat with more weight ) the steering feels stable and there is no jerks, shakes felt in the steering when I go over the pothole. The level of front suspension is also stable. But when I drive alone, the right side is little lowered than the left, probably this explains why the right strut mount is little bulged ? Would uneven front suspension lead to wrong alignment/ shake, jerks in steering.
  2. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    - Changed the caliper pins. The sound is gone now (around 1200kms done so far) but not sure if it would come back, the garage person said it should not till next 10K kms.

- As suggested by Sharad and Millenium, got the worn out strut mount replaced from the original mechanic who had screwed it. Did alignment and the alignment guy said that he cannot correct the camber and he said the mechanic needs to do something by drilling the shocks. Yet, he said he managed to get the maximum possible. Don't have the alignment readings right now but he said its a positive camber something like thins from front view \\-----// The car was a lot better after this alignment. The straight line issue was not faced immediately after aligning.

- Did a Pune-Goa trip ~ 1100kms total. The car wasn't totally steady on the highways but a lot manageable than before. The steering was in straight line with front seats occupied during that journey but recently I have noticed that the steering has to be tilted to left to keep straight when I am driving alone and there is no problem when fully loaded/partially loaded. Weird..

- Its hard to explain, but the suspension feels very uneven when driving alone and the play in steering has started showing up again. It was damn hard stable immediately after the alignment and was coming back to its original position pretty quickly after finishing full turn.

Planning to do a full suspension check at Millenium Motors Pune. My car has done around 55K kms now and I really want to enjoy driving it for a lot more. Would you recommend full front suspension overahaul to fix it ? i.e. strut,lower arms, coil sprints, ball joints and tie road (anything else ? ) I know the problem isn't diagnosed correctly yet so it would be hard to recommend anything but if the parts difficult to find at them moment, it would be a lot worse 1-2 years down the line for Palio Stile. Lets hope Millenium is able to debug it and suggest a good fix.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    At 55K it is too early i would say. But i have no idea what sort of components FIAT put into the Stile. Our old Palio D went 100,000kms on it's original suspension, which i got overhauled at 120,000km's. And it's driven on the worst and best of roads. Even with the worn out suspension, the car was stable and composed at high speeds.

What i feel is that your car is not being diagnosed properly.

PM Italia-Linea on the forum and ask him a good mechanic in Pune. He knows his stuff. I assume you are in Pune. Kindly update your location in the profile.
  4. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Thanks Gurjinder. The reason I thought about overhauling is mainly because of availability of the parts in future.. When we have scarcity of those spares in Fiat ASS at the moment, what would be the scene after a year or two Or am I worrying too much :) ? Probably I should wait till it gets correctly diagnosed.

Italia-Linea had actually PMed me the mechanics name last time. It was one of the mechanics for Palio suggested on the forum. Haven't visited him yet. Will visit soon..

Btw, out of curiosity, I read about Bilstein suspensions for Punto somewhere on the forum. My suspension knowledge is limited so was wondering if there are other manufacturers providing full suspension kits for Palio too..
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The aftermarket suspension etc is easily available from the market and so are most other parts. Try asking some parts dealers. But bear in mind, the aftermarket Palio parts are only 1/4th the quality of the OEM parts. But they are available.

I would purchase OEM before going for anything like Bilstein etc. Because it's not needed, really. All we're going to do on our cars is commute, not race them on the track. :)
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    After market suspension is also available for Linea and Punto in Mumbai and they r around 50 % of the price (eg, shockers) of the OEM from SC .The shop name is Kava Auto and they specialize in Fiat spare parts and they claim it to be OEM part from Fiat.But I dont know how come they get part at such a low price and it shouldn't be the defective parts which the manufacturer discards.Have to be careful.
  7. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    @varin : Last time I had inquired about ball joint set at Kava but he did not have the original ones. Will need to check about the other parts once I get this diagnosed correctly. But I guess I would prefer the OEMs if Millenium Motors can provide them. Haven't checked yet..

@Gurjinder : came across this video on basics of alignment and suspension.. Cleared a lot of doubts.. The end part about wrong SAI angle perfectly applies to my car. Check this out :

Suspension basics/ Alignment - YouTube
  8. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Updating this after a pretty long time :

1. The thud noise is gone after the caliper pin replacement. So that is FIXED.
    2. The right side still has the camber problem. Got it checked by the FASS Pandit Auto and they just changed the camber bolt and the angle was back to being positive after 50+kms. While doing the replacement of the camber bolt, I realized what the real problem is :

The car earlier had a -ve camber which is OK for most of the vehicles and used to provide me solid stability in straight line on highways. When changing the inner ball joints, this smarty pants mechanic tried to correct that -ve camber. He overcorrected it by drilling the hole bigger in the Strut and also in the suspension/steering knuckle part which connects to the strut. Now I can't go back to that original position without changing the strut && || steering knuckle. The camber is around +1.5 and expected is around -0.38', refixing the camber bolt and forcefully putting the upperside in gets it to around 0.5' which is still a degree more than expected.

Btw, there are no signs of uneven wear or any sound coming from suspension or anything and FASS as well as other mechanics advise me that everything is all OK and its just 'psychological' and I should live with it, although the alignment readings and the feeling of driving do not support that conclusion.

If I am to fix this , I would be changing :

1. Both struts ~ 10K Fiat Original Magnetti Marelli
    2. Both or atleast right side steering knuckle ~ 3.5K + 3.5 K
    3. Will also get the original inner ball joints ~ 1000/-
    4. Suspension mounts ~ 2.5 K
    5. Minor rubbers + camber bolts etc which go in the assembly ~ 800

+ Labour. All the above parts are available with 99rpm.

Any other suggestions ?