1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio MJD 1.3 Clutch Issue, Compatable Clutchs and Availability for Procurement

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Raviprem, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Raviprem

Raviprem Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi I am Raviprem (Ravi) and new to this Fourum, My hometown is Hyderabad and at present I am staying in Bangalore (since Jan 2005 in between 2 years in Delhi) as I work here ... I own a Palio 1.3 MJD ...

While coming from Vizag My Palio MJD 1.3 clutch died without giving any prior warning symptoms ... it got loosed and started huge noice and died ... I was lucky enough that it died after reaching home at Hyderabad.

I was unable to shift gears ... Hence i had to tow it down to a local mechanic for clutch replacement Hyderaad and left it there.

Please let me know if anyone have taken the vista clutch or punto clutch or is it Valeo clutch?

I understand that the MJD OEM clutch is hydrolic one and Vista clutch is of cable. Is this vista cable clutch or punto clutch comptable with Palio 1.3 MJD? Please also let me know while replacing the clutch, is it necessary or mandatory to replace master / slave cylindres? what could be the approxiate cost for clutch and its related componets like bearing, cylinders, cables, oils, approximate labour and any other if anything i have missed ... any suggestions on duplicate or other make of clutche and its components for economical viability? where can i procure them either in Hyderabad (home town) or in Bangalore (I am staying at present). Please help
  2. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Ravi,

I have replaced Clutch on my PALIO MJD six months back. I have installed the Punto Clutch. You can see Cost breakup as below.

Total cost : 10700 Rs.
    Cost Break-up
    Clutch Assembly with Release bearing - 5300 Rs
    Gear oil 2 litres - 1100 Rs
    Master Cylinder - 1300 Rs
    Labor - 3000 Rs

P.S - Check if Master Cylinder & Slave Cylinder are good. If not replace both of them. Slave Cylinder will cost you around 2600 Rs.
    asimpleson, Raviprem and Ravi like this.
  3. Raviprem

Raviprem Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks Shashank for the detailed reply with costs of each of the component
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Just one suggestion, please get it done from a good FASC at Bangalore, Bangalore TFIans can suggest if you need advice on this. What is the odo and what year of manufacturing is the Palio MJD?
    Raviprem likes this.
  5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I had replaced the clutch on my palio mjd with vista clutch. And it's 20,000 km since the change. It costed 4.7k vs 8k for the oem .
    Raviprem likes this.
  6. Raviprem

Raviprem Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Yeah, I would have given it to a FASS in bangalore but the car was refusing to move as its gears are not responding due to Clutch not working ... Normally i approach kudulu gate Vecto mortors for servicing and repair and this is the first time i have given to an outsider as the mechanic has confirmed it that the clutch cant be repaired and it dosent make any sense to tow it till bangalore for repair :( ..

This is a July 2008 Palio ... Odo ... again its a sad story, it stopped working since 2012 (milage and trip) .. the only option for that as suggested by FASS (Noida and Bangalore) is to replace which incurres a cost of 18000/- odd and labor extra tried to get it repaired in Noida and Delhi but unable to get a meter reparing guy who has experience in this ... recently i shifted back to Bangalore from Delhi / NCR so need to look for people who can repair this ODO ...

The original ODO was replace under warrenty due to the same reason and at that time it was showing some 20K odd KMs, the present one stopped working after 23K odd kms in 2012, in toto i might have ran some 60k odd kms on various road in India

Even the clutch assembly was replaced couple of times under warrenty ... i never felt the low power or hardness in shifting gears, before going on a long drive from bangalore to visakha patnam to hyderabad .... couple of weeks back i got it checked with FASS vecto mortos and the rep confirmed that clutch ok, gears ok, break ok timing belt ok no need of service as it was one in may this year and can be delay it ...
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 4, 2014 ---
    I guess the Vista clutch is a cable one compared to hydrolic clutch in Palio ... was there any kind of special adjustments needs to be done for using the vista clutch?
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Clutch & the Pressure Plate assembly is the same for Vista & Palio Mjd(Made by Valeo) The Clutch release Bearing is the same part used in Punto MJD.

The Cable /Hydraulic clutch operation is at the Clutch Fork, Which is hydraulically activated in Palio and via Cable in Vista.

upload_2014-12-4_11-0-59.png
    prihir, Raviprem and asimpleson like this.
  8. Raviprem

Raviprem Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks Sujit this clears every doubt on clutch functionality and also Cable vs Hydraulic clutch operation ... Thanks again,