1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by commsanjay, May 22, 2012.

1. commsanjay

Fiat Palio Brake problem

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, i am a Palio owner and having problem as follows: Brake padle is very stiff while applying and i have to brake really hard to make any kind of difference. it is like there is no brake at all. it also makes hissing sound while pumping brake paddle. A[/FONT]fter driving some distance over some time the brake returns to normal i.e. stiffness goes and brakes are as efficient as earlier.
    Kindly help me with how have you solved your problem, what was the defect etc. I am in my native place with almost no competent worshops.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I started having this problem only 4/5 days back suddenly. Can it happen if you reverse your car on lot of big sand heaps as i did the night before i started having this problem? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have change brake paddles about a 2 years back. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]regards[/FONT]
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

check vacuum lines and brake booster
  3. vignessh

I own a '08 model Fiat Palio 1.6 Stile. The car has run approx. 27k kms. Over the course of time, the front discs have developed concentric grooves and therefore the braking performance is not as good as when it was new. Since the discs need to be replaced (along with a fresh set of pads maybe) I was looking for aftermarket replacements of better quality. The Indian 1.6 Palio come with 240mm front discs vs. the rest of the world at 257mm discs - I guess the Punto/Linea runs the same disc. I know a few folks who have upgraded their front disc setup to use the disc/pad/caliper setup from the Adventure (it runs the same 257mm disc in the front), so I know it is possible to run the Punto disc on the Palio.

Could any of you please help with the following:
    1. Info on the dimensions of the Punto/Linea disc i.e thickness, height, centering diameter (also known as front bore in some catalogues).
    2. Info on the brake pad dimensions used on the Punto/Linea i.e length, width and height - there was some talk of the post 2012 models running a smaller brake pad.

This info would help choose the correct disc/pad combination for the upgrade. Also, if anybody has done this sort of upgrade, please could you share your experiences. It will help with sourcing the right parts.

Thanks in advance,
  4. Vignesh any updates on this? i am also trying to upgrade the front discs of S10
  5. Thickness is 22MM
  6. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

I finished the front brake upgrade on my S10 some time back. Rear brake upgrade happening this week. Some pics:Bigger brakes. Doesnt feel like it sicne I'm on 15 inchers tZh4Aff.jpg BIgger caliper = bigger pads. Difference: 4Tj2v47.jpg Magneti Marelli Brake pads. Yumm TsT5SzB.jpg Further upgrades such as slotted discs as well as brembo brake pads are in the pipeline :D
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Nice upgrade mate. Do detail what all needed to be changed. Were you able to retain the existing hub / steering knuckle etc? And ofcourse, a review of the new setup would be nice.