1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio 1.6 Restoration!!!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by kk27, Dec 8, 2015.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    You still have an option to use my car's body parts. I have not yet sold it to scrap dealer. Let me know if you are interested.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot Kedar for the offer. it's the Frame which had more rust issues than the Panels. Anyway I did have to get 2 doors & a Bonnet from a FIRE-Red Donor Palio. Because their edges were quite badly rusted & it was near impossible to repair them.

I'm hoping by this thread I'm able to list out what all goes into a ground-up restoration like this, what's the kinda work involved and magnitude of work & detailing that needs to done. So that others can not only take an inspiration but also know what they're getting into before stepping in.

And I'm in a way glad I'm doing this. I feel like I'm saving a legacy of sorts even though not a popular one by all means. I really loved this car and I couldn't see it dying even when I had the engine issue. Also cost wise I think it was a wise decision since getting a new car will cost anywhere upwards of 8-9lkhs Either a Punto evo/ Avventura or even an Abarth. Offcourse I was never gonna buy a Nano or any other alike "tin-can on 4wheels with worse-than-bicycle handling" car anyway, those that sell faster than hot-cakes for 3-5lkhs. So for me whatever money for this restoration is money well spent.

Yes there could've been the avenue of getting a used Evo/ Grande Punto but then that would'nt be half as much fun as getting this car restored :).
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are going to learn a hell a lot of things which ll prove to be useful for your lifetime, the knowledge which you cannot get from any University. That itself will make up for the time and effort spent on it, leave alone money, it is definitely a bargain considering the prices of good cars now..
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @kk27 best of luck buddy. Keen to see your Palio 1.6 in upcoming TFI Meet.
  5. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    There are more updates which came last night from rajendran... apparently the bonnet & both doors & hatch door have been given the "Bondo" - body-shop putty & sanding is being done as we speak.

Will try to upload pics tonight if I get back from work early.

BTW I've been seeing so many restorations on Discovery Turbo, esp on the topic of Bondo. Many restorers face a big issue when they encounter Bondo-Jobs done over dents & dings even holes, that they strictly stay away from it & always resort to New-Factory-body-Panels for restorations.

On the other hand those who are purist restorers and try to salvage as many original parts as they can use Bondo even though they might go thru the same pain of previous bad-bondo jobs!! But here they ensure to get each & every dent out repair holes & rust etc then use bondo for painting purposes. Just as done in my Palio's Case.

Basically you gotta be careful & really be observant of the fact how your mechanic/ restorer is using the bondo? is it being used as a quick cover-up to hide small dents the body panels so that he doesn't spend long hours with dent-pullers & hammer or is it being used to finish up your metal surface after it's been done with denting.

eg look at one of the earlier pics of the bonet I uploaded... it was stripped with a sanding disc to bare metal. And once there was no trace of dents it was finished up with bondo. After ensuring a primer coat was applied so as to ensure it doesn't rust again.
    IMG-20160421-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20160421-WA0009.jpg

This is the reason why it is important not only to have a trusty garage doing your work but also ensuring that you as an individual have some bit of know how of the right process and ensuring that it is followed. Always remember these types of restorations happen once in a life-time and doing a through job is of utmost importance.
  6. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well major work has been complete.

The car has received a base coat & interior coat as well.

The engine bay has also been painted over to Black and engine could be in the car by today.

I have clicked a few pics over the weeks will be uploading them soon enough.

What I've liked to date is RS has been very meticulous in the work. They've redone, applied body seal & coated every look n corner possible on the car. Finishing of the surface just with base coat is so good it could be passed off as final finish it's that good.
    prabhjot, sudipz, jackharrisw and 5 others like this.
  7. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I have always admired the work that RS Motors does. I feel lucky that I bought a FIat Linea and happen to live on the same road as RS Motors :)
    kk27 and prabhjot like this.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Will be posting pics tonight. Hopefully more work could've been done. need to check it out.

But I've a eminent question! Now the site may be closing up on 30th May, should I continue the restoration thread somewhere else? cos now is the more important phase of finishing coming up.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Post all the details on www.myfiatworld.com and continue.

Once this site is up then continue using this thread.

Sent from my Che1-L04 using Tapatalk
  10. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I have a lot to update here! :)
    jackharrisw, ravikn and kedarbendre like this.