1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio 1.6 Restoration!!!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by kk27, Dec 8, 2015.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Pics not uploading Some server error

DSC03210.JPG

DSC03214.JPG

DSC03218.JPG

DSC03219.JPG

DSC03221.JPG
    varoon9999 likes this.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
  3. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    awesome detail work. They are really working honestly on it.
  4. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    well have been a little silent on this thread since the work detail increased & I too didn't get much time.

Here are some updates I clicked last week.

Right side Frame repair
    DSC03227.JPG

Bottom Part
    DSC03228.JPG

Wiper motor bay which was rusted
    DSC03229.JPG

Here there was a gaping hole! now ...

DSC03230.JPG

Preventive repair
    DSC03231.JPG

the work is going on a bit slow paced compared to my expectations but I'm not complaining. There's just one guy who's great at this job & many times he has to tend to accident cases. And I'd rather wait one more month than have someone else work on my car. The guy named Mahesh, he's super concentrated in his work & super detailed. His work is almost factory spec quality & that's what I want.

Last what I saw was the rear inner door edges were being repaired since it also had quite a bit of rust. I must say RS Motors work is through & they're leaving no stone unturned, Mr. Deshmukh & Rajendran both are totally involved in this & accept that it's going slow, but I'm equally harping on the point that I'm in no hurry to get the car back.

Honestly this is almost like a dream coming true... I'm most of the time on Discovery Turbo & Always felt I should also have one of those beautiful restorations done as shown on many programs :).
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Good to see the progress. Lots of work is still pending and I am pretty sure that it will take another month or 2 to complete the restoration.

Good luck bro. Cheers.
  6. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hehe... well they say it's almost done with body work. & post that it'll be swiftly done. Let's hope.

I'm almost forgetting driving :)
    Harshad Dighe and varoon9999 like this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I'm glad that you have someone like RS motors to do work at this level of intricacy. I've always wanted a red GTX but landed up with a yellow one. Great work coming there.

And it is good to see that parts are still available, atleast the mechanical spares. Good luck on the restoration. I keep looking at this post for more.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks @Vidhyashankar Trying to keep updating & logging as much as possible between tight work schedule.

So some more updates are here....
    #MaheshBhai working on the minutest of dents.

IMG-20160418-WA0020.jpg

Right Side Rear Door inside... the metal is rusted. The technique is to rub off rusted material & replace it with melting more in place & then hammering it with a hammer & shaping tool while hot. Real Meticulous work.
    DSC03392.JPG

Fuel Cap Area. DSC03395.JPG

DSC03394.JPG
    Right Rear Door hinge brackets
    DSC03393.JPG

Left side rear door - pic taken from the inside. Just have a look at the finishing
    DSC03396.JPG

DSC03398.JPG

Right side Front door bottom.. finished work.
    DSC03399.JPG

Right side front door Top part
    DSC03400.JPG

Front dash panel finished.
    DSC03401.JPG

Compare to the earlier uploaded image where the finishing was not complete only metal work was done... look at the difference.
    DSC03402.JPG

Entire front & Windshield area is done & finished.
    DSC03403.JPG

Rear Hatch door is almost done.
    DSC03409.JPG DSC03410.JPG

The donor Bonnet being prepared & checked for rust.
    DSC03411.JPG

Those wondering why so much time is being taken in this work... here's the culprit
    DSC03407.JPG

This is is the bottom edge of the dickey - where you'll have a rubber strip running along! It is this type of rust which is hardest to deal with, as you cannot cut out that part. instead as explained earlier the rusted part has to be rubbed out & new metal melted in place & then shaped accordingly. Very very tedious & methodical work.

Till date I'm really very satisfied with the work in progress Though it would have been nicer if the car was painted by now but I couldn't be happier that they chose to do a through job instead of just slap paint over it & then hand me something which will last not more than 2-3yrs. Honestly the level of work going on here is clearly gonna save this car another 7-8yrs if not longer.
  9. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    BTW Sometimes I wonder... should have I gone for buying a completely rust free donor car & saved so much work instead :)
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Well @kk27 you have such a superb team at RS who are actually able to restore this car like a Phoenix from the ashes. Yes, you could have saved a lot of work by getting a rust free car. But look on the bright side, you are in a place where you have a team still able to restore it. So have fun! Besides, you're too far into the project now.