1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio 1.6 Restoration!!!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by kk27, Dec 8, 2015.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Mine is a lot of work since there's a ton of rust, I've not at all hurried them I've given them time upto Feb end to finish things properly. I'm very clear I'm not at all restless or hurried for this & I'm all for one to wait & get the job done perfectly.
  2. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    This is quite heartening to see the restoration efforts. Guess its about time I embark on restoring mine.
    Too my good luck there is a garage close by specializing in FIAT (the owner is himself has a S10 with about 140000+ kms on the odo) both with the mechanical and body work. He does maintain my Baleno and also help fixed a few notorious issues with S10 (fuel pump, TD sensor, etc).

On a side note: Do you guys get jitters leaving these in some one else hands.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Yes offcourse. :)
  4. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Looks like yougot a good start. All the best!

One suggestion from me. Get rid of the fender indicators and get the holes closed up by the tinker fellow. It looks better that way mimicking a S10 fender.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Irrespective of my mixed or rather polar different experiences there I can say the restores there have been top notch. No short cut work. Wish you all the best Kaushik.
  6. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    hi Kaushik(kk27), can you share how much approx costing did the RS quoted for complete restoration? Also , can you tell me if they said, they can take care of rusted part by hard welding or so on? Any changes to the front firewall or cowlpanel (if i am spelling correctly)? M searching for cowlpanel , everywhere but no luck so far.
  7. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Although I'll be honest that RS has asked me not to share prices since I'm one of their special customers! But the thing is right now eve
    n they're clueless on the final bill.

Just strip down painting the costing would've been about 55-60k odd but with loads of rusts & many other parts this might go upwards quite a bit + there are smaller bits like weather strips & seals & glue etc which adds up the cost considerably. So even I'm a lil open on this one.
  8. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hey any updates on your Palio, pls :) ?
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Yeah looking for the progress of your restoration.
  10. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Sorry guys... was not able to update the thread.

the work has been slow but very crucial things have been done.

The car has been completely stripped down to a bare shell. Used doors have also been scrapped & fitted up.

Thankfully there's no rust on the dash panel, or Floor or the insides of the car. Even the firewall apart from that hole I showed earlier everything is in order. So we'll be just patching it up.

The crucial bits done was some lvl2 rusting on the Chasis on the A pillar where the Door hinges are fixed was cut out for being sure & safe & replaced. Similarly on the hood hinge was also repaired.

Some bondo works were found on the car which is being stripped & filled with metal. What I like about the guy who's been assigned to my car is that he's a thoroughbred in his work. Every detail is being checked & worked.

Though what I'm unhappy about is that too many cars come for denting work at RS both Fiat & non Fiats even LandRovers etc. So work progress is anything but fast. Though I'm hoping that once the rust & body issues are done it'll be quick work.

I don't have pics right now will upload them from home.
    varunrtr likes this.