1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio 1.6 Restoration!!!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by kk27, Dec 8, 2015.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hey guys,

If you recall I had just recently got a new engine fitted to my lovely Palio 1.6! Now that its running in immaculate condition & most of the major mechanicals are sorted I'd like completely restore the car & address a few cosmetic & rusting issues.

Since this is my first ever restoration I'd like to start by knowing what steps should I follow? what all issues can be faced & what things do I need to take car of since it's a Mumbai car & rusting is a big problem, where can I look up for parts in the used market etc & what has it costed to others for a bare-shell restoration in the past.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Was expecting atleast a few replies here!!!
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @kk27, what better than to check @Italia-Linea's palio gtx blog. Please go through that and post your questions. For mumbai what you need is galvanic treated steel. VW cars for example are good and have shown much better resistance to harsher sea winds of Mumbai maybe because of better treated steel from vendor and/or a superior hot dip etch and coating method for anti-rust body shell treatment.

A complete restoration could be good if you could shell more money on good material and protective treatments including zinc rich priming solutions. There is no short cut to rust treatment. One has to cut out the affected portion and weld fresh sheet. Temporary filler and fiber patches are well..very temporary! Alternatively you can get full doors or panels from Kurla in ready to sand, prime and paint condition. These are refurbished as well, but luck plays an important factor to find a cheap and good deal worth the effort.

For added measures on the inside panels you could use industrial grade zinc rich primer upto 65-69% or above 90% category primer based material. That level of restoration will be needed for harsh Mumbai climates.
  4. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    @kk27 - Happy to see you going for restoration of your beloved Palio. As asimpleson suggested please check Italia-Linea's blog. Waiting eagerly for your restoration..
  5. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well Finally at the year end I took the plunge.... & gave the palio for restoration! the work will be done slow & steady as I do not wish to hurry-up anything.

20160109_162427-jpg.85721.jpg

20160109_162501-jpg.85722.jpg

20160109_162536-jpg.85723.jpg

20160109_163235-jpg.85724.jpg

Yet to examine floors & behind the dashboard.

There's quite a bit of rust on the car!! the previous owner did not care for the car at all!!
    Though now that I've taken the plunge I know it neither will be easy nor cheap, but I cannot see a legendary car like this go to dust & hope to own it for a long time to come.

here's a few shots of initial dis-assembly of the car!!
    20160109_162320.jpg

Some rusting & sign of worries.........
    20160109_162427.jpg

The right side of the dash panel has considerable rust & infact the firewall (the smaller yellow arrow) from that position is completely gone. There's a nice big hole there. So either firewall + Dash panel replacement or patch-work yet to decide.

20160109_162501.jpg

Quite some rust on doors too!! While they said they'll see how bad rust is, but as per me 2 doors will need to be replaced.
    20160109_162536.jpg

20160109_163235.jpg
    Some work will need to be done on the rear quarter panel, though this looks like surface rust but I don't wanna take any chances.

More updates as the car progresses.

I've a few things on my mind for the colours too. Will be doing a brighter shade of red & will add accents with Abarth-Yellow. & Wheels will be painted in Gun-metal since painting it Black is just too main-stream, too common & according to me Black hides the nice flower design of the wheels. This is just a plan.. not sure how & what the final outcome will be.

20160109_162320-jpg.85720.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. hydrofuel

hydrofuel Timido

mumbai
    Since you are from Kandivli, are you doing it at RS Motors kandivli?
    Is it GTX or sport, which year model?
    Its interesting thread. I shall keep track of it.
    Any tentative minimum budget earmarked?
  7. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Great to see one more 1.6 being saved. I had restored my car a few years back and went through a entire strip down work.
    Since you have completed the mechanical work all you are left with the cosmetic and patch work to get over.
    Would suggest to replace the glass beading and preferably dismount the engine and get the car painted. Make sure you have a good patch worker and denter as the palio is prone to rust. Always use good quality materials for body preparations as the body filler and base work goes in showing out the quality of paint. Try to get the car painted in a dust free booth and preferably temperature controlled.

Best of luck and keep updating the progress
    mchanna, prabhjot and kk27 like this.
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @hydrofulel - Yes it's being done by RS, coz not only they've maintained my car post my ownership but I have seen their work, so while they need a bit of constant monitoring & followup but they do a great job.

@Nimish - yes I've sorted this thing mechanically, just rear defogger doesn't work but really never required it anyway. The engine would be down since firewall will need replacing - atleast that's what looks like it. & their paint jobs & dent work is very nice, they have professional dent puller machines & equipments. & they have a proper paint booth though not a totally closed one but they have installed the synthetic separators those seen at Meat-storages which helps keep outside particles & temperature intact.

I'll be going there today since they've called me to show the car & what all parts are needing to be replaced.

As far as cost is concerned I'm actually being open-ended about it since I know t's basically like opening a pandora's box due to rust etc, & i'm aware how these things go.

Things as of now planned
    - full body strip-down painting
    - wind-shield replacement
    - All beadings
    - Inside painting along with 3M rubburized paint
    - Seats will be probably re-trimed a little later.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. Aman Alam

Aman Alam Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Does your Palio also have original seat covers made of cloth?
    You'd get that cleaned as well, right?
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @kk27 when your restoration getting completed? Any timeline?

My Palio S10 is also stripped downa and will be getting new paints and lots of new things and the project will be completed in first week of February.
    AVS10 likes this.