1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio 1.3 MJD vs. Punto 1.2 Active vs. Indica Anniversary

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ByDesign, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ByDesign

ByDesign

New Delhi
    So as I mentioned in my introduction thread, I spent 5 hours test driving cars and came back totally tired. This is how it went. (please note, I've got this on Team BHP as well, but I wanted expert opinions from an all fiat club in India). This hunt is for my first ever car. My family owns cars, but this is my own love :)

Tata Indica Vista

Opened the door and got in, it wasn't exactly premium feeling, but boy oh boy, everything about the car clicked with me.

Visibility was wonderful, it's a one-hand drive car, extremely easy clutch and steering. The version I drove was the Aura (ABS). Engine was very refined throughout the rpm range. Center console placement was refreshing and opens up the field of view in front of the driver. Rear view was good enough. Took her to an empty stretch of road and buried the accelerator. Very pleasing indeed. The acceleration wasn't all powerful like my i10 1.2 Kappa, but it was refined. More than adequate for city and highway driving.

I took a look at the Anniversary Limited Edition too. The interiors were so good, I got tears in my eyes. Very very plush leather stitched seats, leather dash and side doors, dual tone dark maroon and beige with nice stitches. No ABS and air bags, but hell I fell for the Drivetech engine on the Aura version, and the complete leather interiors and finish blew me away on the Limited Edition.

The Beauty Palio 1.3 MJD SDE

I was taken a floor above, and there waiting silently in the middle was a beautiful dark silver Palio MJD. The car my friends, has such presence and charisma oozing out of it. I just smiled and knelt before the car and felt the headlights and grill, pure love. Such beautiful design, so solid, and yet such presence. The curves are extremely lovable, gentle yet built like a tank. The bonnet was as heavy as a Gujrati's suitcase immigrating to London. I grunted as I lifted it. The best part is yet to arrive...

The owner of the showroom is a friend and decided to get the car out on the road just so I could drive her. The tire pressure was checked, I revved the engine and took her out on the road. The steering felt heavy and my back started to pain mildly after a few minutes of driving on bumpy roads. I adjusted the seat and felt better immediately. The A/C didn't seem to slow the engine down, and chilled the interior superbly. Much better than the Punto (my colleagues 1.4 Emotion which we drove to the showroom) and the Indica Vista. Just on the 2nd fan speed, the cabin was cold, the outside must have been at least 35 with an unbearable humidity. The engine grunted at me at low revs, typical diesel engine feel, NVH wasn't extremely pleasant inside, with most of the engine's vibrations felt inside. Therefore I sadly add, that ride quality wasn't nearly as comfy as the Indica, but then again the palio was diesel. The doors closed with 'thuds' when we got out of the Palio. I instantly fell in love with this car. Something inside said this has to be it. The owner assured me good spares availability and superb FE and no complaints from previous owners.

Punto 1.2 Active

The car I actually test drove was the 1.2 Dynamic, but the one I'm interested in (within my budget) is the 1.2 active. Black interiors, no music system, front power windows, power steering and no multifunction display. After reading ROM's review of the 1.2 punto, my mind was filled with apprehension. However when I turned her on (no pun intended) she purred like a loving Siamese cat. Beautiful beautiful NVH levels, and she swallowed (no pun intended) all the bumps on the road with relative ease. On reaching an empty stretch of roach, I pushed as far as it would go (no pun intended) and she took it like a champ (no pun intended). As ROM rightly put it, on shifting and quick releasing the clutch, she shuddered and jerked. I quickly learned how to tame her, let the clutch go slow and rev just a wee bit on release. Nothing too extreme. Absolutely loved this car, apart from the small rear view.

Summary

I'll sum up the on-road prices here, plus say that I'm EXTREMELY confused. I feel like weeping. Why can't I own all three of these awesome cars? Prices folks: (all prices are On Road, Delhi)

1. Indica Vista Limited Edition - 4.6 Lacs

2. Indica Vista Aqua (frnt power windows, ac, power steering, this option is if I want to save some money and put in my own music system) - 4.07 Lacs

3. Fiat Palio 1.3 MJD (AKA the Warrior Princess) - 3.99 Lacs after almost 1Lac discount!!! (Variant offers Power Steering, front power windows, fog lamps, and of course, it's diesel for under 4Lacs! Well, its 4 Lacs.)

4. Fiat Punto 1.2 Active - 4.46 Lacs

I hope you enjoyed the read, as much as I enjoyed driving these beauties, photos are attached for your viewing pleasure. All questions are welcome. Please help me decide guys, I'm completely lost!!!!! And I haven't mentioned stuff like rear leg space etc. since this car is just for me, i.e. single use.

2010-07-10_13-23-48_948_New Delhi.jpg

2010-07-10_13-24-45_56_New Delhi.jpg

2010-07-10_15-19-06_950_New Delhi.jpg

2010-07-10_15-20-10_255_New Delhi.jpg

2010-07-10_16-48-59_200_New Delhi.jpg

2010-07-10_16-49-38_414_New Delhi.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Palio 1.3 MJD vs. Punto 1.2 Active vs. Indica Anniversar

Really confusing.
    My vote goes for Palio, for its engine, otherwise Punto, for its look.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

One basic question : which one do you prefer ? Petrol or Diesel ?

I would rule out the Palio.

Either go with Indica or Punto.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

I TD the vista Safire ABS & the 1.2 Active. (same 1.2 FIRE)
    Found the Vista's drivetech4 (new gear box) almost similar but kind of good to my 1.4 FIRE E+ & the 1.2 Punto.

If you compare the Vista ABS to a punto then it has to be 1.2 Emotion. NOT 1.2 active.

But since its between:
    Vista Aqua, 1.2 Active
    Go for the punto!!

Dont bother for the Palio, its outdated & feels OLD on the inside.
    Dont let the discount fool you..

Vista Limited Edition is not worth it without the safety options!!
  5. Re: Palio 1.3 MJD vs. Punto 1.2 Active vs. Indica Anniversar

I would agree with Chaos, and it seems you want are car to drive around and are not much bothered with whether its a diesel or petrol. If thats the case then from handling manners I would go with Punto.
  6. ByDesign

ByDesign

New Delhi

The palio's out of this race. Just too old I guess.

Ok here's the thing, the punto emotion is completely out of my budget. It's officially now narrowed down to this.

Indica vs Punto, and I'm trying to keep it below 4.7 Lacs on road. The indica variants below this price margin are Aura ABS and below (Limited Edition, Aura, Aqua) and the punto variants below this is just the 1.2 emotion which is 4.46L on road. I don't see ABS on any punto 1.2.
  7. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger

Go for Punto1.2
  8. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

choose between the Punto variants... BTW are u looking for alot of leg room in the car.. If so then go for the vista or Punto is the car u need to drive
  9. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

If you can buy the Vista ABS go for it.... safety first..

BTW have you booked???
  10. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

hey if u looking for abs go with the vista.. also vista is far more roomier than the Punto.. but trust me the drive pleasure is far superior in the Punto than any other car in its class...