1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

painting tyre letters

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Shadowfax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sham,
    I did apply that wood varnish liquid. Still it stayed for like a month then it started to wear off here and there and i am sure this is because of the rubbing with the ground in pot holes and stuffs. Because this paint rub off is not even. It looks whereever the spot had hit with stones or rubbed off to the ground there the paint is gone.

This time ill rub the surface with a bit of emery paper to make it a bit rough, that way paint will stay a bit more than on smoother surface.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    My try on this :

311827_10150307110672478_221463952_n.jpg

182429_494404867477_671124_n.jpg
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Awaiting your results

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Dont do it.
    That might have untested consequences. you are not suppose to rub them to make it coarse
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Well i thought of making the surface rough than its being smooth. Especially the embossed surface (Wordings) on tyre is smoother than the rest of the area. So just a smooth tiny rub wud make it a bit more rough. I thought!!
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The insides of the mould are coated with a release agent to enable the formed tyre to be released easily. The release agent on the contact area wears off pretty quickly, but that on the non-contact area - the area where the lettering is - takes a lot of time to wear off. This will not allow the paint to adhere properly. Rubbing the area with thinner and then cleaning with IPA before painting might improve adhesion.

Rajan
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tried on my Punto & Palio. Used Asian paint :)
    IMAG_0403.jpg IMG_1412.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i just got this idea and see if it will work.
    Pick up a can on white com-paint aerosol , mask off everything else and spray.
    I think it will look much better than actually paining .(whether it will stick to rubber or not is something to be seen)
    2 people like this.
  9. gkabillan

gkabillan Timido

Erode
    KUWAIT
    guys,go to stationery shop and ask for a paint marker.i think this will do the job.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I had bought that also . Industry grade white markers that are used to label machines . But even that didn't work to my satisfaction.
    I'm still contemplating buying a white spray paint and trying my luck once again. lets see