1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Painting the Punto's headlight black

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by charan, May 27, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Actually even though there is a drawback in blackening i wanted to get it done as well just to make the car look more sporty.
    That got me thinking.
    Most of us use our cars for city drives only where this loss of 15-20% hardly matters. Heck all of us have seen vehicles without headlights zooming past us in the cities.
    Considering this I had an idea of actually buying 3M tints (the dark shade) and putting it over the head lamp directly . It wouldn't cost much and you spare the disassenbly of the headlights
    Secondly while going for highway drives it can simply be peeled off and once your back you can either choose to repaste it or have another one done.

This is only a thought though. I think these tints have some sort of a sticky material that might spoil the dome altogether. But anyway there are many such options should the idea be really important.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    See this picture for reference. Just imagine the White areas to be Black

Linea HL White.JPG

Image source - KitUp

From this image, I believe it is quite apparent that the lighting intensity will not be affected, by painting these areas Black or White or even Body Colour. Hope we have a light engineer in the forum who can give us some knowledgeable insight.

Rajan
  3. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Yes, I am unable to see the headlight work here completely due to the quality of the picture, please post some close up pics if you can.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I know there is a risk and you are suggesting a safer option but the look would be entirely different, after a couple of months it would look like the headlights been aged and they would look old and you would anyways peel off the tints but the paint job inside would actually look sporty.

- - - Merged Post - - -
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

here's my beauty...

red.jpg
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I feel the best guys to resolve our issue are the ones who have already got it done

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thomas as you smoked the headlight except reflectors does it affect on light throw? What bulbs you have in your car's headlights.
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

1)Once those lights are opened, resealing is a different game. From outside it looks good..but once u open the bonnet, you see all the touching up and seal.. not a very clean look.. may be this depends on the quality of work..
    In my case, the claps got broken and as fixed with some superglue.
    One headlamps fogs up during rains.. so clearly depends on the quality of the work..

2)I have been using Philips 100/90 with hella relay from the day i bought my car.Personally I felt stock headlights to be poor, even with the bulb upgrade, i find the light throw and spread to be poor or below average.
    So 15-20% does makeup to a lot..In the initial few days, the difference in light is very noticeable until u get used to it. at times i still find it hard to see the road esp due to more powerful lights from the on coming cars..

- - - Merged Post - - -

Try flyeyes kit... it doesn't work on our taillights due to the bulge.. but its fits fine on headlamps.
    uploading picture for reference. flyeyes.jpg
  8. @thomman85, how long you using this setup?
    Is there any color fading??what are the chances of resealing getting screwed up??
    This setup definitely makes the car look hotter, but cant compromise with the light throw at night.
    Even I am using the same setup of 100/90 with relay and am satisfied with the light throw,so is it worth that risk??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

i stuck around to see how my car headlamps were opened and it was a pain to watch

10. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Thomas, have u smoked the entire headlight(Including the transparent cover) or just painted the inside component?