1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Painting the Punto's headlight black

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by charan, May 27, 2013.

1. charan

charan

Bangalore
    I am planning to get the interiors of the headlights painted black :cool:, i know it would look awesome but it also involves dismantling of the headlight unit :confused:.

Whoever has done this before could you please throw some light along with some pictures as I am planning to get this done in a couple of weeks.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If you are planning to switch to projectors then you can think about complete smoking of headlight or else have a look of thomman's car.

DSC_0587.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  3. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Kedar, Projectors are a huge deal of money and since Punto does't come with the dual bulb headlight I actually haven't liked the angel eyes also.

I am looking for the cheaper version of getting the inside part painted black and I have spoken to a dealer here who told me the estimate would be about 2.5k.
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Keep me in the loop charan, even i was thinking about gettting something similar done..

We should probably ask A1 car care who are famous for alloy and brake pad painting, maybe they are capable of doing this.
  5. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Sure Mohan.

Ilyaz and his brother Aleem from A1 are a very well known to me since last 3-4 years at least, they are extremely good with tires & alloys and decent with Alignment/Balancing and headlight focus but wouldn't trust them with headlight painting.They are extreme cut-throat people :devil, they can charge you a bomb for a simple work, anytime you go there make sure you bargain hard.

Krishna introduced me to a guy name sathya from Evo at cambridge layout who seems to be well qualified and experienced in these matters, I am getting it done by him, will keep you posted.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Are you talking about something like this done >>

trax21.jpg
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    spare a thought for the reduced intensity of light output that you will get post the blackening. Then decide
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think it is only the non-functional areas that are blackened, which theoretically should not affect intensity. I believe intensity would be affected only if the clear lens is blackened externally.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I"m not sure but only a trial would give the right opinion but my gut feeling says that every portion of that silvering inside is designed so that it focus the beam more and more until a good throw is achieved. Reducing that area might have untested results.
    I agree that outside blackening will no doubt have reduction but not sure if its the same story from the inside as well because if you carefully look into the reflectors you will see that the contours are not actually plain now that should be there for a reason.
    That's my hunch ,anyway!
  10. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Black, what you say is right, the spread/throw of the light will possibly deteriorate by 15-20% by blackening the areas those are in front of the bulb, I am still contemplating to spare/not spare that space and paint the rest and that is the reason I have asked everyone with this paint job to post pics so the best ones could be finalized.

I am sure lot of them want to get this done but they are worried about 2 factors;

1. Resealing of the headlight unit as once you dismantle it the quality of work would not be upto the mark to reseal as there could be water seepage/other damages to the headlight.
    2. Light spread/throw if the entire area is blackened.

But, if this job is done through a qualified/experienced professional with proper design/implication and implement it rightly then it shouldn't be an issue.

P.S: I have changed my bulbs to 100/90 with relay kit so light would be relatively brighter.