1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Painting Linea Alloys and Rear Drum/Hub

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by GP_Freak, Jul 23, 2014.

1. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Friends. I was very interested to do some basic cosmetic mods and always wanted to go go for a 17-18 inch wheels for my ride. But cost was a big deciding factor. Then came in so many unexpected expenses which had depleted my saving by a huge margin. My Linea was in Due for a Tyre change along with insurance renewal, So getting new alloys was out of the budget. 16 inchers in Tjet was costing a bomb when compared to the stock 15 inchers in MJD.So decided to Paint the stock Alloys in to some wacky colours. Yes you read it right. Wacky colours. Got a set of 4 Michelin 3 Pst as the rubber to go in the alloy post painting.

Since I wanted the alloys to have a full treatment, I wanted to paint after removing the old tyres. Here comes the trickiest part. How would I get all the 4 alloys at the same time?

It’s done like this
    Tyre Removed1.jpg Tyre Removed2.jpg Old Tyres.jpg

The Stepney was put in the front left and all the other three places were supported with Stones with paper in between the stoned and the bottom of the car.

Then the alloys were taken to my friend's shop and the old tyres were removed and dropped at Caranation Ambattur. Here is where the story is going to get interesting.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    5u3zEr0, vanandwiz, DCpunto and 3 others like this.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The Colour chosen for the Alloy was something similar to Candy Orange with metallic finish. I was Quoted 1000 per Alloy and asked the Caranation team to Wash/Sand/Putty/Primer/Colour/Clear coat/Buffing.

Ie. To have a very thorough surface preparation as I didn’t want the paint to flake off.

In the meantime, I had noticed the amount of Rust in the rear hub and wanted to get that removed and painted.
    20140719_163119.jpg
    The Bolts used to fix the alloy in the hub was also heavily rusted. Since the car had no wheels, the painting had wait till the tyres are fixed in the car, or it need to done at my place. Didn't want to remove keep fixing and removing the tyres from the car and hence I bought the following stuff for DIY.

1. 60 Grit sanding paper 4 sheets – Rs 20
    2. 80 Grit sanding paper 4 sheets – Rs 20
    3. 2 sheets each in 400,600,800,100,1200 ( cost around Rs 100 and to be used for another DIY project as well)
    4. Red Oxide 200 ml – Rs 48
    5. Thinner 500 Ml – Rs 60
    6. 3 brushes of different Size Rs 60
    7. Water Based Gold Paint – Rs 120
    8. White rattle can with white primer – Cosmoslac – 400 bucks ( remaining from the previous DIY)
    9. Masking tape – Rs 25
    10. 8 new Bolts -Rs 1200
    11. Fiat emblem for Alloy - Rs 300 ,1 No.

Dry sanded the Hub using 60 and 80 Grit sheets until all the old paint and rust were off the Hub.
    20140719_163106.jpg 20140719_170031.jpg
    Then washed and wet sanded using 400 Grit and washed again. Left it to dry for half hour and cleaned using a thinner to remove all the residues which were not coming off when washing with water( trust me, you will be surprised by the amount of residues which comes off when cleaning with Thinner and a white cloth)Masking was done with the masking tape and new paper.
    20140719_184119.jpg 20140719_184429.jpg 20140719_184440.jpg

Lesson Learnt. Use handbrake when sanding and then remove the handbrake and rotate hub and sand again. I was so caught up in sanding; I forgot to rotate and had to redo sanding second time.

The Red oxide is really thick and needs to be thinned with the Thinner and was painted on the hub. A second coat was applied after 15 Minutes and the White spray primer was applied after an Hour to have a white base coat to enhance the colour to be applied on top of it

20140720_144943.jpg 20140720_144931.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    5u3zEr0, vanandwiz, zenwalker and 3 others like this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    in Parallel, I got the info that the alloys where painted and ready. Went and saw and the workmanship was not so great, proper sanding was not done and felt that the Quality was not so good. Picked up the alloys half heartedly and left it at Berton Tyres and left for home. The colour turned out to be good though. It was already late and hence without inspecting much I had asked Mr.Anand to keep the tyres and weights ready so balancing can be done the next day.

Lets see how the alloys looked after the Candy Orange treatment.

Alloy 1.jpg Alloy 5.jpg Alloy 2.jpg Alloy 3.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Not the same colour Varun. A similar shade was preferred, but later dropped that. This is totally different. Check the pics. More colours to come.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    More colors??
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @GP_freak,

Have you lived upto your handle? Its freakish to get the alloys painted in orange. But must admit your DIY patience.

One bad thing which I noticed was the wheel hubs being placed on the stones, I think there should jave a better way to place them. Alternatively you could have arranged for the another 3 jacks before starting the work. I felt looking at the pics the car was dangerously placed.

How much did the alloy painting cost?
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, more colours. The next day morning my friend Mr.Anand from Berton tyres inspected the Alloys and he was not at all happy with the painting quality and he called me and expressed his concern over phone as advised me to get it repainted. Since I was in office, he shipped the alloys to Carnation for repainting.

After a couple of days, the alloys were ready and so I went to collect the same. It was around 6.30 Pm and it was already getting dark. Boy o Boy, I didn’t know there was a big surprise in store for me. I was preparing the seats and cushion in my Alto to carry over the alloys to Berton Tyres .

When I happen to the see the alloys, I was Dumbstruck. Is that Nailpolish smeared on my Alloys or is it Pink ? It was looking in different Colour from different angle.

Your feedbacks on this colour please. The white colour power like thing is due to buffing and its to be cleaned off with a soft cloth.
    20140722_185438.jpg 20140722_185445.jpg 20140722_185451.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Unique choice.
    Once put on Linea, it might give better view, how it will look finally. I liked earlier, little lighter colors.
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    One crazy creativity going on here :lol: :lol:
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes more colours.

I had done more freakish things like this before IMG_3259.JPG

Nope Buddy, the Hubs are not placed on the stones. The stones are under the rear lower arm and stack of paper had been used for padding. Please check the pics once again. I think the angle of the pictures are not clear I guess. The jacks which we carry around if used will topple of when three tyres are removed as the footing area of the jacks are very small( and I don't trust them) The Heavy duty Hydraulic jack used in Wheel alignment centres would have worked, but my friend had only two of them and hence I didn't want to disturb his business by robbing him of his tools.

The Job is not yet done and for the Third time it has gone for Painting. Keeping my fingers crossed. Don't know what colour is going to come out. Current cost is 3.6k with Bill and Tax Since Mr.Anand of Berton Tyres has a working realationship with Mr.Harry of Caranation,the cost was discounted. Other shops asked me for 5-6 K for the Job. Please note that the painting is not done only in the face of the Alloy and its Done fully.