1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Painting headlamps bezels black??

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by halfclutch, Aug 31, 2012.

1. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    folks!!

I am planning to paint the headlamp bezels of my Punto black to get the smoked look, and i am very keen on doing it myself.
    Can anyone please suggest a paint i should use which can sustain the heat of the bulbs??

Sanket.
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. What about the integrity of the sealed unit? Will it attract moisture once opened for this?
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  6. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can get it with good paint shops.. try some auto paint booths, etc
  7. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Finally i have managed to get the spray cans.
    i will try to remove the headlamps today. can anyone guide me how to remove them or what precautions should i take?
    Also do i need to disconnect battery while removing headlamps?
  8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its a very very strenuous job n its not easy like other car's...and you have to seal it back with much precision , else it ll be a total flop. my friend's car was bezel painted at a pace where they have done many other car's bezel painted, but they underestimated the glue of punto n slightly damaged one HL, after which they did it with the help of some other guy taking more than a day to do it.
    You can see thomas's video here
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/3913-my-exotic-red-ep-abarth-29.html#post123935
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    yes i saw that video already.. i dont think i am brave enough to let anyone do that to my puntos headlamps :eek:
    i was planning to do it with a head gun, would it generate sufficient heat? and i can always use silicon glue to seal it back, m i right?
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    is silicone glue the one which looks like cement upon soldifying? If yes, my friends HL was then sealed with a layer of this after sealing with an inner layer of paste used for sealing windshield. I think you can do it with heat gun, but definitely not possible by heating in oven. All the best in advance.. :mrgreen: