1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

PaddleShifter's RCA dilemma (2 vs 3) for future proofing

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Mar 12, 2014.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    After searching at most shops of Chandigarh, I have dropped the idea of JVC and decided to go for Pioneer. Reasons:

01. Pioneer steering remote controls is available at most shops. JVC accessories are unheard of.
    02. JVC HUs are not stocked by anyone. Even the main distributor in Chandigarh does not stock JVC R80BT, R90BT or any other JVC except 2 or 3 basic ones.
    03. Reality is that no one pays above 6-7k for a 1-DIN HU in Chandigarh and above this, people buy 2-DIN HUs. My simple demand for a JVC KD-X80BT or X90BT branded me as "internet waale bhaiya (bro with internet knowledge)".
    04. Its Pioneer everywhere. Now when I asked for a 8550BT or 8650BT, 3 main distributors refused that they do not stock these high end HUs.

Now, exhausted common sense says that pick something that gives you everything you ask for i.e.,
    - Bluetooth+USB
    - Steering mounted remote control
    - 3 RCA (if possible) else 2 RCA would do as a mono amp will 98% sureity will not be added in future.

Pioneer models offering these include:
    01. Pioneer DEH-4590BT (~6600INR)
    02. Pioneer DEH-6690BT (~7800INR)

These two above are from a trusted shop. He is also recommending a 7550 model without bluetooth.

Apart from this another shop is having a stock of Pioneer DEH-8550BT that he is offering for around ~8500INR. Its a big shop but I never went to him in the past. So was not sure whether to go for it or not.

How can we detect that the HU is fake or not. What all are the things to look for?
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Yashik bro just make names of shops public, can help more. Big shops does't always mean you get big discounts or big products :-D Just let me know the names, mayb I could help :)
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Is steering mounted control (remote) a must have. Because Sony makes a head unit where the rear CO-AX or Components are converted to mini-subwoofers via a setting in HU, giving you an option to switch back to simple front rear configuration if particular music genre doesnt rely on heavy bass. A very good and practical feature I discovered when installed in a friend's Ritz Diesel recently. This guy too does not want to upgrade to subwoofers later. It is a very good compromise in price vs SQ. The car has JBL components in front and Sony (higher RMS) components in rear for extra bass which are capable of handling lower frequencies.

The best feature in Sony HUs IMHO is Dynamic Bass (DM++) feature which is excellent given that 95-99% of all music via CD or USB is digital media files. What it does is that it will make your music sound much more cleaner and crisper actually boosting the sound levels (frequecies) to within perfect listening tolerances (without distortion). It even makes cheapish speakers to reproduce some great sound.

As regards 3RCA, if you are not willing to buy a monoblock later and go the whole nine yards in every ICE department including buying Capacitors for AMPs or ported Subs with Class D amps and complimenting components and premium wiring kits etc. there is no point going for 3RCA. However if you can shell out some more for 3RCA you can have the added technical benefit that may come in handy making your system futureproof to an extent (certainly will help if you buy a monoblock later). The future HUs as you maybe aware have incorporated 3way-4way active crossovers built-in (currently a feature in high end HUs). You will need to decide the feasibility in terms of cost vs output you are expecting and put a full stop somewhere.

If sourcing HU shops is a problem maybe some of us can help you in that department, once you zero in on the model.

PS.: Another interesting SQ technology is Alpine Tuneit, please google it for more information.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  4. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Paddleshifter, I am not sure if you have completed your HU upgrade....But ever since I upgraded my HU on Jan this year, I have been waiting to add a Sub. I was planning to do that in May this year...

But, the day I responded to your post (on 13th Mar), something was reverberating in my ears....Sub...Sub...Sub.....I have already zeroed in on Rockford....

That evening, I went to a known shop to just to get the pricing....Saw the RF 12 inch Sub (with enclosure)......Got the deal for Rs 6K (not sure if it too high or low)....Got it installed, paid the money...Didn;t expect to do that on that day...But the outcome was very good...I am just loving the music a step higher now.....
    1 person likes this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

I would suggest you to go for a HU with 3RCA. 3RCA outs as the name suggest gives you perfect sound output to individual channels that you would add later via amplifiers. Subwoofer is meant for planing bass only and a separate RCA connection to that will filter only low frequencies. The other 2 channels you can use for front and rear speakers which frequencies above 80hz.

Getting a HU like JVC 90BT will give you time alignment and pefect sound stage upfront.

Many guys who claim to have good set up forget the fact that correct way of listening to music is the front sound stage and not rear. People tend to put cheap speakers upfront and good powerful in the rear. This is totally wrong.
    1 person likes this.