1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ownership Review: Punto Evo Active

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sam812, Oct 6, 2014.

1. sam812

sam812 Novizio

delhi
    Hi everyone

This is a total unbiased review. And I'm gonna keep it short. All the things are in my opinion. Sorry if it hurts anyone.

Deciding the car
    Surely there were a lot of options.
    Swift: very famous for mileage and ass but the built quality is exceptionally poor. New car doors even make a noise while closing them. The windows vibrate while opening and closing. So it was a straight no.
    I20: good quality plastic, loads of features but then expensive even. And if I'm paying so much i would want a sturdy quality car which the Koreans don't provide.
    Figo: Ford has good quality but has really outdated looks on Figo.
    Polo: we already had it in petrol so dint wanna get the same car.
    Punto: heard a lot about its built and comfy driveablity. So checked out the looks and the new Evo is really beautiful. Made up my mind and bought it.

Car Quality and Driving Experience
    Well I can really say the car is built like a tank. Heavy doors, excellent suspension and low cabin noise for a diesel car. It can take any potholes or bumps and few low height speed breakers. They have improved the horn. And yes the ac is the best I have seen.

Driving a punto is not that easy. I don't know how people say its so easy and comfortable. The gear ratios are weird. 1st and 2nd are still fine but as soon as u slot to third there is a big drop in the rpm. If u accelerate too much to maintain it FE drops. Then comes the gearbox. It is so Rubbery. If u drive a polo or i20 or even swift(i cant believe swift does one thing better) the gears are so slick. Its so fun slotting them. Feels like a sports car(at least polo's does). Punto is way behind on that. Steering is a bit too hard for city driving. I'm not a fan of i20 toy steering but it shouldn't be like a manual steering too. Once u reach 1700-1800 rpm on 3rd gear then the pick up is quite swift. What i love is the sound while revving it above 1800rpm.its like wow. Last problem is the rear glass due to big c-bars is so small, so reversing and parking needs a lot of experience.

Comparing it to polo, I'd say polo is better because the plastic quality is much better. Its easy to drive. Build quality is of polo is no less than punto, better maybe. Plus they have a wonderful gearbox. And VW ass is better than FASS.
    But at the end of the day, driving punto is like very adventurous for me because it's like i have so much to learn and master and is challenging and i like that. I hope the ass improves and they should tune the engine better for city driving. Its fun to drive a punto.

Mod Note: Kindly avoid SMS lingo in the posts. Please refer to the TFI rules here - http://teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi man. Finally have it now, eh? Cheers.

You sound like this is your first diesel, you'll soon get used to the gear ratios, and how to keep it revving just right. But sure: this is a highway, higher gear, higher speed-biased car. The weighty feelsome steering will be a joy, maybe even a saviour when you take the Evo mjd out on open roads, as will the wider tyres and the awesome brakes. That is really where the Punto Evo distinguishes itself from all competition, including the Polo, which imo is better in some respects (NOT ass, though!) but behind the Punto in others (build, steering, brakes, ride-and-handling, price, reliability, durability).

Hope you're planning a highway drive soon: you'll discover the true character of this car, then!

regards
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  3. confusedintelligence

confusedintelligence Timido

Lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Well punto is not for a head to head technical comparison. Gear shift issues I agree with, but that's all I can agree with. The hydraulic steering will prove its worth when you go for some real driving, the response you get is not just amazing but also assuring that it's you who's driving. I guess you are hugely mistaken when you say it's not easy. It is easy but engaging. It is a drivers car build for enthusiasts. Polo is indeed a nice car but the space, the comfort, the looks the engine is nowhere near the Punto. My personal experience is, you can't get it all, the point is how much you can live with.

Reversing and such issues will fade away soon, but then you will be left with one hell of a car, a true head turner (evo). The tremendous GC will give you the liberty of an occasional off roading and trust me then only you will know the worth of it. I can point out so many niceties but I will wait for my own post on buying and ownership.
    prabhjot and mangeshtendulkar like this.
  4. sam812

sam812 Novizio

delhi
    Hope it happens soon. One thing more, the seats of the car is very comfortable like cushiony, feels like sitting on a couch. And yes the braking is amazing too.
    Will upload pictures soon.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Now thats quite short review. You havent mentioned anything about your buying & delivery experience, suggest you put in some words regarding the same related to cost, which dealer, what accessories etc. Its good to compare cars no doubt but the quoted statement makes me surprised, I have heard a lot more horror stories about VW after sales than Fiats.

I am surprised when you say the rpm drops when slotted in 3rd gear. At what rpms are you changing gears? Normally the best rpm is 1800-2200 when the turbo actually starts to kick in.

For rear parking problems, suggest to get the rear parking sensors installed. Will make your life a lot more easier.

Also please post a few snaps of your car, it would do justice to your ownership review. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. sam812

sam812 Novizio

delhi
    Overall experience at dealer was average. I bought it from Tuli Fiat Wazirpur. The SE always tried to twist the talks and knew very little about the car. While test driving the variant was emotion so i asked him if the rear ac vent could be close so he's like "yeh aise hi hai" which was like he's just trying to sugarcoat the bugs. Also during the delivery they had no proof of registration to give us so my dad asked him to give it in writing that he had done so to which they were very reluctant and it took them an hour. The delivery was scheduled on 1st October but their lift was broken so had to delayed and i got the delivery on 3rd. Im still very skeptical about their service. Their sales manager dint know that the first service is to be done after 5000kms.

On road Delhi price is like 5.93 and they had a 12.5 k discount which I further negotiated to 5.72 with zero depreciation insurance. Free accessories given to me were mats, mud guards, neck cushion and door sill. But these people are very slow even though their showroom remains empty (or it was whenever i went).
    Also i told them no stickers advertising the dealer but they still stuck it "Tuli Fiat".

Everything else was just average nothing that good.
    prabhjot and ghodlur like this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Sam,

There is a review section where you can write reviews about the dealer, do make it a point to mention your pains there. Will help other members when dealing with the dealer. As of now there is no review available for Tuli Fiat.

Cant the sticker be removed? I hope its not obstructing the rear view if pasted on the rear glass.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please use this http://www.teamfiat.com/reviews/fiat-dealer-service/Fiat-dealers/tuli-fiat-delhi.66/.
  9. sam812

sam812 Novizio

delhi
    Actually the sticker is below punto Evo written on the boot. And I didn't try to remove because I think it will leave marks

One question I haven't got the number plate till yet and they have just stuck my reg no dl blah blah on the car. Is it safe to take it to Noida? I mean I'll travel interstate without a number plate but i do have a paper saying they have registered my car with this number?

Mod Note: Kindly avoid SMS lingo and use proper punctuation in the posts. Please refer to the TFI rules here - http://teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I would advise aagainst travelling insterstate without proper registration no and number plates. God forbid in case of any claims, it will go against you when driving without a registration no. Although you have the papers of car purchase, but still you dont have any proof of the registration certificate (RC). If you have the RC reciept along with the roadtax receipt, then you can think of, but why take the risk? If its too urgent then think of alternate transportation
    confusedintelligence likes this.