1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ownership Log: T-Jet +

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by shikhar10882, Sep 1, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Well, the TASS has checked the obvious so it's a bummer of a situation. As you say, the bushes remain to be checked. But it's a long shot. Even the bushes when worn out don't make such a noise.

One way to rule out the suspension would be swapping in a working suspension from another car. But that's easier said than done.....
  2. I doubt that I will get that opportunity. Don't own any other Linea, and I doubt if TASS will ever do that for me!!!
    The guy attending the car at TASS was quite sincere in his efforts to find the fault and tried his best to identify. But he also had two limitations:
    1. Everything was checked independently, and on individual basis, each thing seemed to be working noiseless.
    2. The sound could not be re-produced as the sound normally crops up after 15 odd kms of drive, and that drive was not possible as a test drive.

The limitation I face is, the long journeys of the car, i.e, greater than 15 kms are normally done at late evenings / nights, and there is no way I can make any the concerned rectifying team listen to the sound!!
    So yes, as you said, it is a bummer.

Maybe I should wait for sometime, time the sound is more regular / the reproduction scenario are more uniformed. But, I am just not comfortable psychologically driving a car with some sound coming!!!
  3. gurjinder

Did they check the mountings, say, of the fuel tank, exhaust and also the anti roll bar fitted in the rear "dead axle".
  4. We (i was hovering under the car with the guy) did check the mountings of the exhaust and that of the dead axle!!
    Fuel tank, that needs to be checked (thanks for the pointer)!!
    However, the guy said that the Anti Roll bars are only in the front and not in rear!!!
    Please confirm!!
  5. gurjinder

There is one in the rear as well. It is placed 'inside' of the torsion beam - the so called "dead axle".

If you can, see underneath the car from behind with a torch. You should be able to see it.

6. First thing to be done tomorrow... (If it does not rain, that is)!!!
    So.. tomorrow's check list includes: 1. Rear anti roll bar joints and 2. fuel tank mounting.

By the way someone pointed out about the bearings...
    What is your take on that?
    My take was - the worn out bearing, although may start making sound when heated up, say after 5-7 kms of running, but, will produce more or less of a rhythmic sound.. and not random!!!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. gurjinder

Yeah quite unlikely. The bearing noise will be constant and generally above 40kmph and more of a humming nature unless the bearing has disintegrated completely - highly unlikely.

Do get a thorough underbody wash done as well.
  8. Added to the list of things to be done...
    Thanks a ton..
    In fact.. was considering that to be the first thing to be done... and have talked to my washing centre guy...

Will keep you updated!!!
  9. S A SHAH

S A SHAH Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Dear Shikhar,
    The area inside the boot, you are talking of, is without the lining... it is the tin(metal) sheet with those holes etc open and could not be seen from outside when the boot is open. Yes the back of the back-seat is covered with the lining. I don't have the photos available now, hopefully next time I 'll click some and definitely post those here.

About the strange sound in the back portion of the car, once I encountered the 'chrr chrr sounds' in the back portion appearing from inside of the car...... my children could locate that sound coming while on any type of road. It was found that the extreme sides of the leather seats(of Tjet+) are rubbing with the inside wall (handle area) of the door, especially when passengers are sitting on the seats.
    Hope this helps.
    Rest I ignore all the minor sounds and rattles appearing ther in. The door settings are not in order.... they could not rectify it while IInd-free service at TATA-services.
    SHAH,S A
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Hard to imagine such source of sound... but yes, that definitely helps as a pointer to find a possible source. Thank you sir.. shall check tomrrow.

Although I had once suspected the spare tyre not being tightened properly, and it moving as one of the possible sources, but checked it and found it in order..

But this leather thingy... surely worth a trial!!!