1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ownership Log: T-Jet +

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by shikhar10882, Sep 1, 2012.

1. RKK

RKK Amatore

Mumbai
    This is strange. How can such a windscreen just blast by itself? By any chance did you investigate reason of this?
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry to hear that, shikhar10882. :( Our cars are not safe even within the secured parking lot, it seems.
  3. Did the best I could to find out the reason, but have not been able to arrive at a decisive conclusion. The various versions of opinions I have are:

One Friend - seems something has fallen from top.
    My take - could not see any residual of anything fallen or hit the glass. Besides, I have seen my BIL's Indica, where coconut had fallen full force on this windscreen, still the glass had not come down like this. Besides, the security guy at the parking is ready to swear on his life that there was no one near the car at that time and nothing has fallen.

The usual and the most common - Gas Expansion - This was the opinion of the advisers at the service station. They said your is not the only, or a strange case and that they have seen other similar cases, not only in fiat but others as well. My take, I doubt as, (1) It was not a 'very hot' morning (2) the temperature difference could not have become this impact-full just after 15 mins of parking (3) this reasons can normally causes a crack, such a blast is more rarely heard off.

Being such an absurd event, my own absurd theory: The car was standing besides a electric pole. An EMP could have been generated and hit my rear windscreen. :evilsmile

Anyway, the result is that the investigation still continues in Absence of a decisive conclusion. However, as a precautionary measure, I have double checked that the Fresh Air Intake was on while I switched off the engine today, so that if there is anything of 'air pressure' sorts, that can escape through there.

Could not agree more Ravi Sir...
    This Italian Stallion is OWNER'S PRIDE, ALL OTHER'S ENVY!!! :evil:
  4. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Do Linea come with defogger for rear windshield?
    If yes, by any chance leaving it on during hot days will that lead to such incident?

Im not sure that would be the cause just a question came to my mind.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes, the Linea T-Jet does have a rear defogger. But even if it is switched on, it definitely would have turned off when the engine was turned off. Also, I doubt if the defogger will heat the glass enough to cause it to burst. I somehow suspect a direct impact, considering that the glass not just cracked, but broke into fragments. Also, it appears to be an external impact, looking at most of the fragments inside the car. Had there been expansion - due to whatever reasons - from inside the car, wouldn't the glass explode, rather than implode?

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. ^^^ I second PatchyBoy there.. as the car had been turned Off at least 20 mins before the incidence took place...
    Besides, while this possibility had come to my mind.. but an earlier discussion TFI had negated the possibility , due to which I refrained from thinking about it as a possibility..
    The reference is post #3 of http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-issues-questions/6521-rear-glass-cracked.html

The more people I am showing the pictures to, the more opinion I am getting that it is an external impact.. and that too with something long.. some object that covered a good width of the glass..
    While the investigation continues at my end, I would like to get more opinions..

Thanks for your words @Fiat-Yamaha & @PatchyBoy
    1 person likes this.
  7. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Any chance you had aerosol cans anywhere close to the glass ?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Watching too much MythBusters, I presume :D. As per OP, it was not too hot a morning. Defintely not hot enough to explode an aerosol can.

Rajan
  9. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Well you never know with aerosols..strange creatures they are.

OK I'll stop :p