1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Over Revved Brand New Engine!!!!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Aviator, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Oh my god...2 days have passed but i cannot get this thing out of my head!!!!

2 days ago a friend of my friend asked for a small test drive of my Punto Sport 90HP. I could not say no. The second he started the engine, he just launched the car and drove like maniacs. I immediately screamed at him that don't rev it too hard but at that time he was at 4500 RPM :sad1. I really wanted to punch the guy hard but didn't.

My car has done just 200 KM till now as i am not getting any time to drive (Mostly out of town).........I am that kind of a guy who do not care that much for some small scratches or dents on the car but always wants to keep the engine in excellent condition. I really like maintaining the engine as per manufacturer's guidelines.

So i just want to know, will i be facing any kind of issues with the engine, both long term and immediate??? Don't you guys think that 4500 RPM is too much for a brand new engine which is in its break-in period...

One more thing, forget about apologizing, the guy didn't even thanked me for giving the test drive at his door step :shocked
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nothing will happen. Relax. If possible, just get in the car and drive exactly like that guy did. Enjoy the beast :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  3. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    As per my knowledge there is no run-in period for our MJD's, atleast for 76hp ones AFAIK, because i had asked the same question to fiat india and their answer was " there is no run-in period for your car."
  4. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    HAHAHA dude i want to drive her hard but after 1500 KM.

- - - Merged Post - - -

OK but don't you think 4500 RPM on a brand new car is too much????
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    it may seem hard to you but i dont think u should worry about it. I believe every engine goes through test for its optimum performance in the factory, so its not that the engine has never reached 4500 rpm before u saw it. chillax brother!!:drinks
  6. oncemoredieselpower

oncemoredieselpower Novizio

Bangalore
    Relax bro. It should not matter in the long run.

I did not follow any run-in procedure for my Palio. It is still going strong at 173000kms - a friend of mine is driving it around now.

With my new Linea I took it over 4000rpm several times. I think it is not good for the engine to run in lower rpms all the time.
  7. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks man!!! I am chillaxed now :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks brother.....your words really lifted the load off my head!!!!
    2 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    only care to be taken as per the manual is that :
    1. wait to stomp the acc pedal till the engine temp needle is in the center. usually it takes around 10-15 mins..
    2. after a drive, let the engine cool down by idling before shutting down.

Other than this usually people advise not to drive with a hard foot till couple of thousand kms in a new car. but that doesn't mean not taking it to the higher rpms!! it should be taken there gently.

It would be good if you read the entire manual first...
  9. Even my car was driven from mangalore to Hassan before delivery on a bad road and the guy reached 160 kms in 2 hours, imagine the speed at which he has driven. So far i have not found any issues.
  10. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

i don't think revving till 4.5k once is going to have any impact on the multijet engine. You got a strong car with strong heart :) chillax and enjoy your ride.