1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Our T-Jet Dynamic Minimal Grey -- Journey begins

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by rusticnomad, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Not very good at story telling but still would try and give a best shot.
    We (as a family) are impulsive buyers when it comes to vehicles. We never look at resale value as deciding factor and diesels have never been our favorite. There's more to life than "Kitna Detee Hai". In fact we sold our Opel Astra as scrap by weight for 20K :)

Requirement:
    1. It had to be a petrol vehicle
    2. It had to be a sedan as we sold Opel Astra as scrap by weight last year before we bought Ford Figo ZXI in December.
    3. It had to be something that not everyone drives.
    4. It had to be a driver's car as when I am in the vehicle I simply cannot trust anyone else behind the wheels. So I wasn't looking for a CAAAAAR! That's why nothing was even in consideration from the likes of Sunny, Scala etc.
    5. Budget (around 8.5 lakhs and no way above 9.0 lakhs)
    6. Safety and other bells & whistles.

The shorlist:

1. Linea T-Jet -- Had been yearning (but not earning enough to get one) to get a FIAT sedan from the day I saw Siena
    2. Skoda Rapid
    3. VW Vento

The TD Phase:

Skoda Rapid was always a doubtful candidate owing to many horror stories floating around the net. Following factors went right against them
    1. Online request for a TD went answered for 4 days. In fact had to call the dealer requesting for a TD.
    2. Online request for RFQ got no response.
    3. On asking a simple query on their FB page -- Convince me why i should by Rapid and not T-jet - resulted in the post being deleted and I was banned from posting any further.
    4. They did not have a Petrol TD and came with a Diesel TD vehicle and told me if I want a petrol to test it would take 4 days.
    5. Even their Area manager called but never explained why i was banned from FB page.

I did a 30km long TD of their diesel vehicle even after making up my mind not to buy. Just needed them to pay some price for banning me on their FB page. The clutch had a scaring vibration and the SA said this is for ensuring that half clutch driving is not done. This really put me off because I had read many horror stories about clutch failures in Skoda.

Vento:Ruled out as it came from the same genes as RAPID. In addition, relatively more Ventos on road as comapred to TJet.

T-Jet
    : Dealer sent a diesel vehicle whereas we had made it clear that it has to be T-Jet. This was done without a fuss and in fact the new Linea T-Jet (with barely 100 KM on ODO) was made available with no loss of time and a 30 km drive (done shared by 3 of us) left everyone spell bound. While son was behind the wheels he started slowing down seeing a series of speed-breakers ahead and I told him not to slow down. Took over the speak breakers @70+ and didn't feel much inside. Everything else has been said so many times on this forum so wouldn't repeat it again :)

T-Jet it had to be and decison was made without much thinking and then started the negotiations for freebies. Couldn't manage much beyond:

1 lac discount (70k + free insurance -- the stadnard that was on offer for all) on T-Jet Dynamic MY 2014 (pre-facelift model) + Fiat branded reverse parking sensor + Linea branded footmaps.

Loan was through in les than 48 hours. Courtsey HDFC bank where we also have our current a/c.
    Paid 21K as booking amount though dealer as asking for 1 lakh. This was done on March 28th.

The shortlived agony:

PDI was commted by dealer to be on 6th April. Then there was is shortlived painful wait because of a cat-fight between the delaer and FIAt India (already discussed here so not repeating).

PDI (on 11th April):
    Armed wth PDI checklist did a PDI today and this lasted around 45 mintes. Few small issues:

1. A mark on the left door panel just above runner board. I was told that this would be off during polishing and this is due to paint protection stickers:

DSC_0107.jpg

2. The usual fit and finish problem of uneven gap (right to left the gap is not same) as seen between bonnet and the front grill. Don't this anything can be done. This is FIAT trademark:

DSC_0116.jpg

3. During glass roll up on left door two bands of dust were showing up. Told them to get the doors checked for any dust accumulation inside.

4. Another minor eye sore. Take a look at rear quarter glass:
    DSC_0120.jpg

5. Another Fiat trademark. Look at the glovebox. This was promsied to be fixed:
    DSC_0115.jpg

6. The beige sections on door looked a bit dirty. This was agreed to be cleaned.

Rest of the stuff -- engine bay, under body, tires, electricals, AC etc was all normal. Wipers would check on the day of delivery.

Post PDI at Showroom:
    Went to showroom at around 5 PM or so for paying the margin money so that loan disbursal formalities could start. No hassles here and the ar was at showroom so here are few pics of showroom and the car:

The Jet at showroom with parking sensors fitted

DSC_0123.jpg

More of Jet -- the gentleman seen is the GM at the Dealership:
    DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

More of Showroom
    DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Delivery:

Driving out on 12th morning for a 1000km (up/dn combined -- not on Jet but it would be 4 month old Figo) and will be back on 16th. So most probaly we will schedule delivery on the 18th. The current trip would have been on Jet if there was no cat fight between the dealer and Fiat India. But, as the saying goes -- If ifs and ands were pots and pans there would be no need for tinkers!. So the next long trip is reserved for the Jet :)

The next problem:

Wife still drives her National Car - Maruti 800. Now she says she wants a NANO and I said NO NO. Not sure how long i would be able to win :)

Phew! This is the longest post ever that I did on any forum so far.

Thanks for reading.
    8 people like this.
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats rusticnomad!! Jet is looking beautiful, I didn't understood your 'eyesore' comment for rear quarter glass. Please enlighten :)

Happy Tjetting!
  3. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks pabhishek!
    On the eye-sore:

Pl take a look closely at the horizontal black strip (one with the chrome) at the lower rear edge of quarter glass. It extends onto pillar instead of flushing with the section that it is supposed to be flushing with. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to be, but this does look out of place when viewed from close proximity.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Heartiest congratulations rusticnomad on bringing home the Jet. The car looks all gleaming and ready to hit the tarmac.

One suggestion - although you took the speed breaker at high speeds, dont do it when you drive even if you feel the urge atleast not during the run in period. Once the horses are let loose you can do so but with utmost caution.

Happy Jetting and drive carefully.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats, hope that your initial wait and initial hiccups to get this car will no longer be a pain. ;)
    Forget the past with Skoda and Fiat dealer and enjoy the T-Jet to fullest. ::T
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Will check in My jet too
  7. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @ghodlur
    Thanks. Will surely not take speed breakers at those speeds. That was a TD so was done on purpose.

@asimpleson
    Yes those issues are a thing of the past now :)
    Waiting to be back at station and take delivery on 18th.

@pabhishek
    Pl do update on how it is in your case.
  8. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Many Congratulations for your Jet, though it is yet to be delivered.
    Wish you many happy mile munching with the Jet and a niggle free performance.
    Enjoy flying the Jet and Drive safe.

Why didn't you go for the body coloured sensors.
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Mine is also likewise. But too small to notice. I will excuse FIAT for this :)
  10. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Arryan
    Thanks. Had mentioned to them about body colored sensors at ordering stage but amidst all the "hulla-gulla" possibly this slipped from their radar. They were, apparently, too occupied in ensuring that the issue of delay is resolved quickly and everyone concerned did move ahead quickly after I logged a complain and got a ticket number. IIRC, I read somewhere (Team BHP or here, can't recall exactly) that Fiat gives black sensors as accessories by default. Maybe I am wrong.

@pabhishek
    I guess we can forgive them, but this does reflect on the need to beef up QC. I guess this is more due to the defect in dimensions of the piece involved. I would again raise this issue but would not trouble them too much on this. I already raised this issue with cc to customer support at Fiat. I am sure this cannot be "by design".