1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Our Linea T-Jet 2014 - SBG Emotion

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by kgk, Dec 7, 2014.

1. kgk

kgk Timido

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Prologue

When I was out to buy my first car back in 2007, the buying process was very simple - just go for the Maruti that fits in the budget!! Thus we got the Zen Estilo, which has been part of our life since then.
    We decided to buy our second car in July 2014. The budget was 10L or thereabouts and so began the hunt for the right car! This time around, the process was not so simple!

I started reading up on the internet - Team BHP, Car Magazine reviews etc.
    Both me and the wife would be driving the car ourselves, so we were looking for features that are driver-friendly. So, listed down our priorities:
    1. Safety Features
    2. Good quality and spacious interiors
    3. Decent fuel economy
    4. Good ride quality and handling
    5. Good ground clearance
    Below are the cars that we evaluated:
    1. Nissan Sunny/Renault Scala
    2. Renault Duster
    3. VW Vento Diesel
    4. Honda City Petrol
    5. Ford Ecosport Diesel
    6. Fiat Linea MJD
    7. Fiat Linea T-Jet
    8. VW Vento TSI DSG (TD vehicle was Polo GT TSI)
    9. Maruti Ciaz Petrol
    10. Tata Zest
    11. Fiat Avventura Diesel Emotion
    Every car has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and I was looking for the most VFM one which is strong on all these 5 points.

I was mighty impressed with the TD of the T-Jet, but had heard many negative things about Fiat in India. So started reading more about Fiat cars in India and came across TFI. Many of my doubts about Fiat India in general and Linea T-Jet in particular were answered here. Looking at a few ownership threads, I was pleasantly surprised to see the low cost of ownership as well. Also came across the Avventura thread and was eagerly waiting for the launch and got a TD as soon as the car was available with Pandit.

The final 2 cars to choose from were Avventura Diesel Emotion and the Linea T-Jet Emotion. The main reason two Fiats were on the final shortlist was the tank like build quality - most other cars felt flimsy in comparison. I can compromise a bit on mileage or looks but not on safety.

It was a tough call between these two. I must say the Avventura looks stunning and has the best ride quality of all the cars above. But finally the T-Jet was selected due to the powerful (and legendary) T-Jet engine, features like Cruise Control, Automatic headlamps and wipers, huge boot space and full leather seats. (I don't know what I would have done had they got the T-Jet engine in Avventura...)

Next Post:The Delivery and Dealership Experience
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2014, Original Post Date: Dec 7, 2014 ---
    Delivery and Dealership Experience

The dealership was Pandit Auto, Pune. They were happy to offer me test drives for the MJD (1) for the T-Jet (3) and for the Avventura (2). The staff I interacted with was courteous and sincere. In my view they can improve their communication skills especially when their products have so many unique features but very little marketing.
    The buying experience was smooth. I was going for the T-Jet and was told that there are no discounts on the Jet, never have been. They waived the handling charges and added free floor mats and mudflaps. But that was it. I didn't bargain hard enough I suppose ;)

My biggest grouse with them was the time taken to get the car to their stockyard. I completed the booking on 9th November and was told the car will be there in 10 days. But it actually came on 27th. Lot of time was wasted in waiting for the truck/trailer to transport the car. Finally it was driven to Pune from Ranjangoan! For a car manufactured 5 months ago, the time taken to travel the 50 odd km distance from factory to dealer stockyard is on the higher side, IMO.

The PDI was completed on 28th. Thanks again to all the TFI members who clarified my doubts about the PDI. All the car needed was cleaning as there were some white spots on the inside and outside. Here's few pictures taken during PDI
    upload_2014-12-7_21-21-56.jpeg

upload_2014-12-7_21-22-56.jpeg

I wanted the delivery after completing RTO formalities. This was done fast enough and finally we fixed the date to 6th December, which also happens to be our marriage anniversary :)

Here are some pictures from the delivery:

The car being cleaned
    upload_2014-12-7_21-27-35.jpeg

The intriguing Sunbeam Gold Colour
    upload_2014-12-7_21-28-21.jpeg

upload_2014-12-7_21-29-5.jpeg

The engine, after cleaning
    upload_2014-12-7_21-29-50.jpeg

upload_2014-12-7_21-30-25.jpeg

upload_2014-12-7_21-31-8.jpeg
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hearty congratulations for your Jet. The car and the dashboard in the night looks stunning. Happy and safe motoring
    kgk likes this.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations! AVventura or jet , you just can't go wrong!
    prabhjot and kgk like this.
  4. kgk

kgk Timido

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Update after the first highway drive on 7th December:
    Went for a quick trip to Lonavala via the expressway, after filling petrol at Shell Hinjewadi. The traffic was fairly light on the Sunday afternoon. Had set the speed limit of 100 kph/ never crossing 2500rpm. Succeeded in this test of self-control with the help of cruise control :) The automatic headlamps worked well in the tunnels. Even when doing 90-100 kph, the steering was perfect, car felt stable, the AC was quite effective and the rear curtain helped too. I guess, I'm just repeating the strengths of the car that everyone here knows.. These are the driver centric features that make the Linea such a good value proposition, apart from being such a pleasure to drive. I have already started taking the longer route to and from office!! ;)

On a different note, can anyone suggest good place in Pune or online, to buy a good quality car washing/cleaning kit? Should I postpone the 3M paint sealant treatment.. from what the person at 3M Baner described, I doubt if it's really required in the first year...
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    It's addictive! I am afraid you won't recover from hangover of Tjet . I still remember when I took my jet from the same place:)
    kgk likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @kgk

Great going man, isn't the T-Jet sunbeam gold just a pure pleasure, a great satisfaction? To look at, to feel and to drive?! ;-)

Thanks for the succinct write-up, too: I especially appreciate how you zero-ed in on the two Fiats without too much ambivalence/drama (instigated by hearsay). I wish more folks would do the same, because the facts, objectively considered, do make them segment best-buys IMO, by a distance. No?

all the best, 'mind it'! (the jet, i mean)

cheers
    kgk likes this.
  7. VIJENDRA SINGH

VIJENDRA SINGH Amatore

DIBIYAPUR
    Linea T-Jet
    @kgk , congratulations for the Jet. The drive is addictive & nice writeup buddy.
    kgk likes this.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @kgk

Congratulations - this car is both a beauty and a beast if there can be one combined. Like deepika in chennai express and carrie-ann moss from the matrix all rolled in one :p

Enjoy the ride and if only Fiat started providing more such exciting options. Personally for me the Avventura does not even compare - the T rules all the way.

p.s. Maybe they will have a 1.8 in a few years when I am ready to upgrade.
    kgk likes this.
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Congratulations, words cannot express the beauty of Linea with TJet+ -- one has to experience :)

Wishing you happy miles ahead
    kgk likes this.
  10. kgk

kgk Timido

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks everyone. An update after 2 weeks of getting the T-Jet. The odo reads 700+ km and mileage is ~14kmpl (MID), which is great, considering :) This includes a Pune-Mumbai round trip. (The expressway is a great place to experience the pleasure of driving this car! )

Got the Remote Key on the 18th, in less than the 2 weeks promised by the dealer. Also did the "amigo" program, which IMO is a good initiative to reach out. I hope FIAT also does involve a third party to get owners' feedback.

Facing a slight problem while playing few songs from the USB memory stick in my car. It just makes a screeching noise (as if the file is corrupt) and I have to manually shift to the next song. Same songs play well in my laptop from the USB device, so the file is not corrupt for sure. I have a Lumia Windows phone and have downloaded the songs from Nokia Music.
    Using this memory stick:http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=505811827&pf_rd_i=1375411031

Anyone faced this?
    prabhjot likes this.