1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Options for Aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by hello2anand, Jan 8, 2014.

1. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Hello TFIATians,

I was happy with the OEM HU untill the B&M stopped working :A...so NO USB/iPod connectivity...FIAT SS told me that I need to replace the B&M unit which would cost me Rs 13 K approx....Can;t spend that much due to budget constraint as I have already spent for service & changing the tyres....Writing CDs is a pain & thankfully, thats the only option I have...

Now, I am looking to replace my OEM HU with a suitable one...Here are some of my requirements...Can you please guide

1) There should not be any cut in wires while replacing the HU...If so, whats the recommended brand ?
    2) Should have USB/AUX/iPod connectivity
    3) Since I dont have an Amp/SW, how will I ensure by replacing with a new HU, the quality of sound remains same as what it was before ???
    4) Does it make sense to buy an Amp without a SW ?
    5) Everyone in my family are music lovers...On an average, We turn off music only for approx 10% of our journey time
    6) I am happy with my JBL speakers (replaced 2 years back with the stock ones), so guessing no need to change that...
    7) My Budget Rs. 10 K

I am new to ICE, so some of my Qs may/may not make sense....:confused:...Hope you dont mind it....

My current speakers.....

Front - Component JBL-GT5-S265c
    Rear - Co-Axial - JBL-GT5-S205
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I think B&M box is covered under warrenty. Please check if it is possible to get it changed under warrenty if your car is in warrenty.
  3. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Yeah..I did check with them & they said it is not part of warranty...Though the car is under extended warranty, Electronic components are outside warranty
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Check with other dealers as well and if possible send an email to FIAT and clarify if it is not covered under warrenty.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    I second Kedar on that. Please double check this. May be some other service center may replace it under warranty. There is still a lot of ambiguity on what is and is not covered under warranty. Moreover regarding the new HU, please check the other threads on the forum, there is tons of information available. You may also want to check the thread by Italia-Linea about his HU.
  6. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    My two cents in response to your questions:

1. Any decent installer will know how to install using the correct adaptors without touching the original factory wiring. You can choose any aftermarket brand for HU - this choice won't play any role in wiring.
    2. Tons of choices from Pioneer, JVC, Alpine etc
    3. In fact, any half-decent aftermarket HU will improve the sound over what was being offered by the lame stock HU.
    4. Yes in case you want to upgrade the speakers etc later, then it would make sense to invest in an amp even without going for a sub. With the current setup, you can leave it for now.
    5. You and your folks will surely enjoy the improvement in sound quality offered by the change in HU.
    6. If it ain't broke, why fix it!
    7. Not in sync with current prices, but this budget should be enough. You would need the fascia as well which you can get at the service center for 250 bucks or so. Aftermarket ones will cost over 1000 bucks, so try and get it from SC.

Hope it helps.
    1 person likes this.