1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One Plus One:2014Flagship Killer

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by magnan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Bingo Viny..! You summed it up well.. :)

They probably don't give extra storage since it is observed that it creates extra lag and deteriorates phone performance as apps start building up, especially since some memory like SD cards don't come with quality onboard controller & storage chips like some CF cards come with better controllers for speed.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That shouldn't be cited as a reason in my opinion. The S2 was able to effortlessly browse a 500 GIG Harddisk through OTG when powered externally and I am running a 32 GB card in my S2 from the day it was introduced in India and the only memory related problem I faced was with respect to Cyanogenmod hogging up the internal storage with log files for internet disconnects.

The class 4 32 Gig Sandisk is still running like a champ and if you ask me why class 4, at that time the class 4 was having better random read/write speeds than a class 10 which had better sequential read/write speeds.

The more practical reason for not offering an SD card I think is because the way the MI3 was packaged inside. But still, its not that hard to get it done atleast in Mi4 with removable back cover.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Agree with other aspects you suggest about sequential or random read write performances, after all you are using it and know better what you are experiencing.

What other reason could it be, space and cost is hardly a matter for not integrating SD card readers, we do get them even on 1.5k phones or burner phones as they call them in general in US (called burner for illegal uses to avoid tracking trail)
  4. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I think its more of a design thing than a technical constrain. They are trying to mimic unibody design of Lumia,HTC and I phone I guess. Xioami offers expandable storage in a 6 k phone ( Redmi 1S and not in its Flagship MI3. That is exactly what has stumped me.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Precisely what I am saying, see the quality of NAND flash if I am right, maybe a deciding factor given the performance and overall tweaks used in the hardware. You will find less people complaining of lag etc. in these phones. The overall quality of SOC is responsible for such decisions of leaving out lower end options out of equation.

EDIT: for eg. Mediatek uses better manufacturing or better tested and designed chips of circuit designs etc. for the SOCs ending with T (as in Turbo) having higher CPU clock rate or better GPU implementations making these premium chips not available in sub 8k or sub 12k category phones.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2014 ---
    EDIT2: all right there is perhaps much more to it that what I mentioned. Clearly it has to do with Google's own path of development rather than just the manufacturing angle. Perhaps what we discussed is a very tiny probablity in the real realm of things related to mobile phone and mobile platform development.

A bit more if you are interested.
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7255579

Do take this discussion to offline or other gadget thread or topics so that we don't cannibalize this thread further. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Hybrid USB are now available and Mi4 might be supporting USB OTG. Then why to worry for non-expandability of the mobile phone storage. I am using 16 GB micro hybrid USB and it sits in purse easily.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Why not offer SD card options given that costs and compactness are major factors. Also the fact that Class 10 SD cards are getting cheaper by the day. So it's great to use micro hybrid USB, but let that be an addition and not a substitution like investing in a micro hybrid when already 10 microSD cards are lying around.

I would like a phone with 5.5" OLED, Wolfson DAC with Supercurio's mods, Cyanogenmod, 4gb infineon quality ram, One glass solution of Corning Gorilla 5 with oleophobic coating, with 5000mAH battery and 256GB microSD card support-UHS 3 ;). You will find people dying for more when these specs are available for cheap and making this look not so greedy then... :p The day is not too far..:joyful:

EDIT : forgot to add 5nm processor fab.. :smuggrin:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  8. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    MI3 already support USB OTG
  9. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Hi Viny.
    I am having sharable invites. If you need one, tell me with your email address. Early.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  10. B Balaji

B Balaji Timido

Chennai
    Hi ,
    Thanks in advance.

Please share to my mail id balameinfo r gmail.com if you invites.