1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One more Weekend - one more project - Bottle Holder :)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ASHOK RAO

ASHOK RAO

MYSORE
    GOOD JOB

We can also make detachable holder next to hand break.
  2. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    Sadly, the holders didn't fit well on the door :(. The thickness of the clips of the holder on the is less then the thickness of the door. Tried them around the ash tray area, its too loose. The bottle stays there but falls off if there sudden jerk due to braking etc.

Need to find some other place to hook them. Any ideas are welcome.
  3. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Chennai
    The space between the Handrest (while in use) and the Handbrake (while not in use) is very good to hold a 1Litre bottle. Did anyone tried this?
    I find it very easy to keep it there.
  4. turboKarthik

turboKarthik Timido

Bangalore
    Utility-wise, this looks like a good DIY add-on. ;)

However, honestly speaking, such fitments are dangerous. In the unfortunate case of a sudden frontal impact, such fitments (or even the bottles) can fly up like missiles and strike the passengers' face. I would refrain from doing anything like this inside the cabin. Would instead prefer to have the bottles secured inside the door trim panels. Any unsecured add-on inside the cabin can turn into a projectile and potential safety hazard.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Absolutely. Thanks for bringing this point up. I think I need to clarify

1. The position where this bottle holder goes, is right next to the existing cup holder. Last I looked, there was no securing mechanism for anything placed in the cup holder.
    2. Any unsecured object kept in the car will continue to move forward, in case of a frontal collision, due to abrupt deceleration
    3. Junk in the back seat / rear parcel tray are more likely to come flying forward and hit you like a missile, than a water bottle in a secure clamp placed near your feet. The existing cup holders are placed there for a reason
    4. I had considered all these factors before designing that clamp

Since you brought this up, I felt it is necessary to clarify this, lest more people start thinking that this is indeed dangerous. The fact that most of the guys drive around with a lot of unsecured junk in their back seats, demonstrates amply their lack of knowledge.

A request for DIY haters:

DIY is like cooking your own food. Of course you burn a few dishes, but get good at it over a period of time.

If you do not know how to cook, or are too lazy to cook, go to a restaurant. They are in business for a reason. But, please do not be a cheap stake and eat someone else's food for free and then go on to complain about the taste.

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Whoa, Patchyboy getting sentimental:eek:. Nobody's hating your DIY, members are just expressing their views.

Coming back to the DIY, would the front passenger leg space be in any way hindered by the bottle. I mean, would the front passenger feel something is brushing the legs during the travel. I agree the existing cup holders in Punto are usable only for the thermocole cups sizes, I cant keep the My Shaldon perfume in the them for that matter.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nothing sentimental about it buddy. There are few who hate me, not my DIYs. They tend to agree with anyone that disagrees with me, even if the disagreement holds no water. One reason why my signature reads "Judge the dog; not the handler" :D. I mean, if you do not like my straightforwardness, just add me to your ignore list. Why go on about it and in the process demonstrate your lack of knowledge? Come to think of it, even driving your own car is DIY. One can engage a driver to do the driving for them, right?

No issues for the front passenger. The bottle just sits on one side and there is plenty of legroom. I will continue to do modifications that I feel are useful and I will, as always give due consideration to safety. I post them here, not to get accolades, but to share the idea. Not all ideas might be perfect and I am of course open to criticism. But disagreeing with me - not because the idea was bad, but because you do not like me - that only demonstrates immaturity. If the community collectively feels that my ideas are dangerous, I will stop sharing them here. Do let me know.

Rajan
  8. turboKarthik

turboKarthik Timido

Bangalore
    On the contrary, I was not at all objecting or disapproving DIY try-outs like these. In the very first line I actually thanked you for trying out something like this. I myself try out some stuff at times (all minor stuff of course), and I truly respect some of the gems that you have done on your own. I was just expressing my concern that an unsecured item might turn into a projectile. A better idea would perhaps be to secure it by drilling holes (with the compromise of altering OEM plastics) and screwing the holder into the panel. Anyway, I am out of this discussion, considering anything suggested in good spirit will be taken personally and criticised sarcastically.
  9. Rajan,

I eagerly look for new DIY from you every time i hit todays post, that is the kind of attention you have got from me.
    3 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Karthik,

Your first line reads - "Utility-wise, this looks like a good DIY add-on", followed by a wink. And the rest of your post goes on to explain how dangerous it is. I neither see thanks nor any appreciation, not that I expect any of it.

Having said that, my response was not meant only for you. It was for everyone in general and for a few specifically - they will know when they read my response. I have also explained why it is not as dangerous as you have made it out to be. An unsecured perfume bottle in the rear parcel tray is an enormous threat, whereas a bottle of water held by a clamp, close to the footwell is much lesser threat. Think about it - when you are travelling in a bus and the bus brakes suddenly, aren't you more likely to hit your head against the seat in front of you, than jumping up and hitting the roof?

When you brought out a concern, I felt it is necessary to clarify.

Rajan
    2 people like this.