1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One more Weekend - one more project - Bottle Holder :)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Agreed. But I found that bottle a bit of an hassle when shifting. Also, since the circular band is open ended and expandable, this can hold a 1 lt bottle as well :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Dear Rajan, Good job you are elgible for a patent from FIAT ..;-)

thx..Surya
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Wow!! very innovative work. Just be aware while taking on and off that clamp. The beige paint on the original cup holder will come off. ITs not that great quality. Easily scratchable.

Can you let me know the technical details of this ABS plastics and how to Form them? Also what kind of shops is this available in and @ what price?
  4. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Practical and simple yet Effective. Wonderful.. keep the ideas flowing.. Team, we should ensure Patchy get enough supply of ABS for such DIY useful projects.. what say? Patchyboy can you click n share the pics of your sand heater? I certainly would like to make some for my cars.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the tip. Since the design of the bottle holder is just to clip on to something, it need not be clipped to the central console in the position pictured. It is also possible to clip this to the passenger side door, at the small storage space on the front, just before the window switch. I have personally not purchased ABS, yet, so no idea about the cost. I will ask around and will certainly share details.

Thanks for the kind words. The sand heater is a very simple contraption. Just take a foot long (shorter / longer will also work :D) piece of rectangular section aluminium channel. Seal off one end with cardboard / wood. Fill with sand and seal off the other end as well. Now pop this contraption into the oven or heat on a stovetop. It takes about 3 minutes to reach optimum heat. The sand filling helps retain the heat for longer duration. The next time I do something with ABS, I will shoot a video and upload it. I understand that it is also possible to use a handheld hot air blower to form ABS. Need to buy one of those.

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. addy

addy Amatore

Bangalore
    Super idea Rajan. Looks neat and cozy:). Lack of bottle holders is one of the sore points in a Linea. A question, will the clamp be strong enough to hold a 1 litre bottle full of water? From the pics, I was thinking it could be otherwise.

So, as others have mentioned if you decide to produce this in bulk, put me in the queue :evilsmile
  7. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I believe the clamp is quite strong. I carry around a 1 litre steel flask without problems so far :D. No Sir, no plans to mass produce, not for FIAT car owners for sure. Everyone who likes the post and say awesome now, will for sure say - "Poor quality plastics, rubber lining could have been better, etc" the moment they have to pay for it :evilsmile

Just kidding. The truth is, I do not have the time or resources to set up a manufacturing facility. Maybe, some day when I retire or something :D

Thanks for the praise buddy. I have seen similar contraptions that go into the window. They tend to oscillate like a pendulum in stop go traffic and leave ugly scratches on the panels :D

Only downside with my clamp - The bottle really fits snugly in the clamp and it is easier to just take the bottle with the clamp still attached to it, when one needs a drink :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    Just got the two cup holders today! Purchased from Amazon. Paid around USD 5.

DSC03175.jpg
    3 people like this.
  10. issac

issac Timido

Ernakulam
    That looks cool :cool, please do post the pic once you fix it in your car