1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One more Weekend - one more project - Bottle Holder :)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

Ok those who have clicked "Like" will get a free holder at Factory visit from Patchyboy :)
    I use the door pockets for bottles, safe place, just in case if it leaks out, then also liquid will not mess up the interiors :)
  2. sungoa2010

I clicked like but not registered for factory visit. :sadblue
    May be Fiat can consider providing a foldable cup holder in future
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

Dont worry patchyboy can ship it to you with any member going that way :p
    2 people like this.
  4. PatchyBoy, get ready with the holder.. I am on the way:D
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

PATCHYBOY thats a nice innovative mod.. something very useful..

6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow! Amazing patchyboy! When will you start accepting bulk orders from TFIans? May be FIAT will contact you soon as well :-D
  7. mathuranuj

mathuranuj Amatore

Hi Patchyboy, where did you buy these ABS sheets from and how did you mould them?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Great stuff once again.

Doesn't it interfere with the passenger's legs? What are the chances that this will come off due to passenger's leg movement. Also, the soft foam material takes care of rattles I guess?
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Thanks for all the likes guys. I have shipped it in bulk to Viny and you can collect your bottle holder from him :evilsmile

I got a few strips that are used to cover the cable manager from the networking vendor our company uses. Bought would not be the right term. It was actually scrap and he was throwing it away anyways :p

No moulding involved. I have a foot long piece of rectagular section aluminium channel filled with sand. I heat that up on the stovetop / oven and then lay the ABS strip over it. In about 15 seconds, the ABS softens to about the consistency of rubber and can be bent / twisted into whatever shape. But I get less than 30 seconds to finsih the shaping, post which the ABS hardens. The circular shape was achieved, by laying an 8" long strip of ABS on the heated channel and then wrapping it around a glass bottle and holding it in place till it sets.

My wife, the usual co-driver, did not find it intrusive. Not sure if taller people would find it to be a problem. Yes, the soft foam is to prevent rattles. We went for a shot 35 km drive after fabricating this and there were no rattles or the contraption did not fall off in bumps. So, I guess it must fare OK. A 1 lt bottle is a really tight fit. A 600 ml coke bottle is snug :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice DIY, great work.

The bottle size which you put in holder should come easily in normal place, see below its 500 ml bottle of Aquafina.

1 person likes this.