1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One More Fiat Car Saved the Lives: Need Advise For Palio D Spare Tyre

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Raaz, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Friends,

Last evening, I was on highway and was on 90 kms/hr speed in my Palio D Car. The road was good and enjoying the ride. The kids were busy in changing the music tunes. Suddenly there was a big sound on the left front side. The car has shaken suddenly and the kids freaked out. I was afraid too but didn't loose the confidence. I applied the brakes and tried to move the car to the complete left side to avoid any collision from the rear. Thankfully there was no traffic at that moment and no collision happened from the backside. Brakes were fantastic and did the finest job in that needy hour. We moved out the car and found the tyre was in a total burst. I also found bumper got little out of shape and the side indicator was broken. Since we wore seat belts, thankfully, no injuries to us. We narrowly missed the fatal accident. Thanks for the superb steering and brakes of Fiat which saved our lives last evening.

The busted tyre was a normal tube tyre made by Bridgestone and was in good condition until now and using as spare tyre since my Yokohama 185/70/R13 A-drive tubeless tyre got punctured.

So, Now, iam in the market for Spare Tyre and hence need your advice.

Should I go and buy Yokohama 185/70/R13 A-drive (The Ones I'm already using as Primary Tyres) Or just a tubed tyre is enough? My office driver says the tubeless tyre is not recommended as spare tyre. I got confused.

Please Kindly advice.

Thanks & Regards,
    Raaj
    Revv likes this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If all 4 Yoko A drives are due for change then I would suggest you to upsize your Palio D tyres. 165 80 R 14 or 185 65 R14.

You can buy Punto's rims from FASS for around Rs. 1000 each and tyres would cost around Rs. 4000 approx.
    Raaz likes this.
  3. Ashok James

Ashok James Novizio

Tenkasi
    Tenkasi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    FYI - Do NOT slam on the brake pedal. Of course, this is easier said than done, as our brains are hardwired to instinctively jam the brake pedal in an emergency. Hard braking is actually the worst thing you can do as it will further imbalance the vehicle and throw it out of control.
    Raaz and kedarbendre like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can always go for tubeless tyre. When on longer journey I prefer to ask tyre shop to put a tube in badly punctured tubeless tyre if the mending cannot hold.
    Raaz likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Raaz
    if you are an highway tourer, then opt for alloy wheel with tubeless tires.The best tention free drive.
    Two years before, i used steel rims, when one of my alloy wheel got damaged at high speed.One cost of alloy wheel will get me 4 steel rims,hence opted for it.Later realised a small bend in steel rim can give you air leak,which is more dangerous on highways,when you are in middle of nowhere.Alloys gives you more confidence.
    Raaz likes this.
  6. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT

Thank You kedarbendre for your kind suggestion. At this moment, I need only spare tyre. Other 4 Yoko A-drive tyres are just fine and are capable of atleast another 20K. But, In future (May be in a year or so), I shall update to R14 or R15 with Alloy Wheels.

Everyday its a lesson. I didn't know about this. Thanks a lot for your kind suggestion on that, Ashok James. :)

@asimpleson, Thank you for your kind suggestion. I too was thinking to buy a tubeless only. But my office driver says, tubeless tyre is tend to loose the air and hence is not recommended as Spare Tyre. This lead me confused and hence I asked the suggestion in this thread. However, now that the folks here are recommending tubeless, I shall go for it. :)

Thank You very much Ganges for sharing your experience. You are correct, a little damage could lead air leak in steel rims. But right now, Vitamin M is not in good shape. I shall surely get Alloy Wheels when I do Tyre Upgrade in future. For Now, I shall prefer to buy just Spare Tyre along with a good steel rim.