1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One hell of a Point _ Punto MJD 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yep Ramjn/Kiran/Cinju, sure. I will get it adjusted in 3rd service whatever is negotiated with TASS.

Sun, I am still cursing myself for the 2 nd service. It's local Delhi drive you know. If i manage to touch high speeds, can't sustain it for 1 min. It is becoming difficult & that fantasized GRUNT is still missing. Yes, Engine is sounding better somewhat & feels like breathing easy. Why it shouldn't? When the mechanic was taking out the air filter, it slipped out of his hand & fell on the floor. Very next second, All 5 people standing near by were sneezing & coughing:mrgreen:.

What i have realized, it's limit is set between 80%-100%. The ECU keeps on hopping among. You give it the most terrible conditions, it will bring back that 100% with-in 10 mins. Still, i would say FIAT is utter rubbish with this innovative stuff:A. Let me claim it once i achieve that again. I will come to know in a snap because it had me crave for it. The very first shove i experienced next morning after that long trip, had me murmured typical Haryanvi "O Teri Ki" (What the hell, OoooouuuCCChhh:D) & 3 finger out of 5 slipped off the steering. So unusual it was.

P.S. to some of the wellwishers: Pls don't jump start with stats. I am a mere poor mortal & not some angel:cry:. Pls forgive. Thanks:cool!
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It will come back to glory again. No way to escape. I am suspecting a small leak in my exhaust. That crucial 5%(or less than that) performance, that no body else can feel than the owner, whose heart is fused with that of his car. I think what you are experiencing is also the same. If you take the car to TASS they will tell nothing like this. But the sensitive heart can feel the difference.
    2 people like this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rishtha Wohi SOch Nayi :D
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I am fan of your quotes SUN. You have the talent of summarizing the things people would need a book to express upon.
    Exactly like you say, one in his car moves as single entity. Get your exhaust checked & get it fixed else you will keep on having sleepless nights. Do it for your own good.
    For me, the performance has gone back which it was prior to the long trip. Since i drove in that state of tune, that's what my base for not taking to TASS. I more like back to it's default. It was always fast enough before experiencing that grunt by the way:D. Now it feels like..... you know!
    1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Guys, Let me give you some food for thought.
    Today at office, we thought of having lunch somewhere outside & we left in 2 vehicles. One was my 90 HP & other one was Manza Q jet (whatever). Since we had a discussion during lunch that they both have same engines, decided to have a friendly sprint on a lonely stretch off to Sector-58 just out of curiosity.

Well, to everyone's amazement, Punto absolutely murdered Manza not once but four times. We didn't had it beyond 120-130 km/hr on hardly a KMs stretch, but in the top range, Punto was literally disappearing to Q jet(whatever?). That was indeed funny but i was more like:confused. I never expected it to such an extent. Let me clarify that 90 HP is still not performing what i call best, which was the condition it was in some 1 week ago. It has sort of tuned down itself during all city drive i had since a week. Manza had far more highway run than my 90 HP & has clocked around 15000 KMs (recently serviced like mine) against 17000 KMs of mine. The guy belongs to Badaun (UP) & leave at the weekends for long highway drive.

During 4th attempt, we swapped our cars & the guy easily sailed across in my 90 HP with 3 guys in it against me who was alone in Q jet (whatever?). It was intentionally done to check if it can give some idea on how better it is performing. The guy has decided now to take his Manza to TASS as he had a serious performance complex. understandable, i second him on this, but turbo spool, pick up & everything was OK in his car. It was just that 90 HP was literally rushing away with too much authority suddenly after 80 km/hr like it doesn't want to be around. I think max. 1 min to disappear to Q jet (whatever?).

That is too much of difference to digest for the same engine/gear box. Had the gear box been different, it could easily be the factor since Gearboxes are nothing but true reflection of engine power transmitted to tires. Better gear boxes do facilitate noticeable better performance with the same engine.
    What else? In wildest thoughts, may Manza's air drag & it's awkward shape (not looks perfectly aerodynamics though not sure) was eating into performance while it was gaining speed? Pls note European Punto has the best air drag coefficient of 0.30 among all hatch backs in India. I don't think so, some other Manza will make any difference here. I drove it & hardly feel the difference till Punto was running alongside.
    3 people like this.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Enki but when you compare a 75 hp punto with an Indica Vista Qjet, I think the opposite may happen. The Qjet accelerates much better than punto. I am not talking about speeds higher than 120 Kph. Do they both share the same gear box ?:confused:
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I just noticed you have brought vista into equation instead of Manza. It was more than a surprise actually, a shock! Manza should have an edge on performance with smaller/thinner wheels. I think we people (including me) have been underestimating the hard work put into dynamics by these experienced manufacturers, like Wind tunnel testing & bla bla. They are worth than 20-30% performance if not more. They are actually one of the main reason of good top range, high speed stability etc. People say that Punto/Linea heavy weight help them for stabilization. I don't agree with that. For eg. swift with 2 occupants = Punto. Will it be equally stable?

By that Formula, F1 cars should fly in the air with total restricted weight of 600 KG including driver:mrgreen:. On ground, 600Kg F1 car becomes 3 Tonne Megalithic vehicle @300 Km/hr. All because of it's dynamics which manipulates the Air Drag to it's advantage for stability rather than a disadvantage. Having said that, a diffuser torn apart at high speed in an F1 car is fatal!! It will simply fly in the air due to mismatched aerodynamics.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Enki, A swift with 2 persons cannot be equal to Punto. Not only the weight, but the weight distribution is also important.
    Have you tried the performance difference with all windows rolled down and with all windows rolled up. This may give some numerical figures on the effect of aerodynamics on performance.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yes Sungoa,Your point is valid but it's more tricky than just weight distribution. For windows rolled down, i have something to tell. Once cruising at some NA speed, my friend asked me to roll down the panes for a few puffs. As soon as i rolled down both the panes together, the whole car rocked (sort of an imbalance) & the air coming inside literally made it difficult to keep our eyes open::OO. I immediately removed my foot from the accelerator.

What else, i have also read about under-body covers can make as much as 2-4 % difference with vehicle's performance. They don't let the air trapped under-body of a car which becomes considerable drag at high speed. So in case, just don't take under-body cover as merely for protection from scrapes.

Lesson learnt: Not only it will limit performance but it will affect the default balance of the car dramatically. Sure that will make difference. For yesterday with Q jet (whatever?), panes were rolled on since temp. was high & both the cars had their AC on.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Enki, There is no updates for long time. How the TW 90 HP is performing these days?