1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One hell of a Point _ Punto MJD 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    No matter what Enki, your posts always make me smile.
    Keep Punting.
  2. Sir your beauty looks nice in TW colour.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Hi TFI, Completed 15200 KMs on my 90HP so thought today why not to get it serviced!!
    I went to ABS Motors today & day went well without any hick-ups. Only minor problem i had that steering was thrumming when brakes are applied@high speeds. I mean above 130 or so. It was fine below that.

I was having a pretty good idea why it is happening, still to check what they come up with. Well the guy unscrewed the front tires & opened the brake pads. As soon as i saw the condition of the brake pads, i started walking away pretending that i am making a call on my Phone :mrgreen:. Man!! There was no sign of cladding/padding on the shoes & it was metal rubbing against metal.

The guy opened the brake shoe of both the front tires & he walked away too. I was like:confused:. In a few mins, i received call from Service Advisor: Saar, You brake pads are completely worn out, have to replace them.
    Me: How brakes can wear out so early? Thats why i was always apprehensive about FIAT. None of their stuff is durable.
    SA: Saar, I am also surprised how brakes can wear so early but we can't help you here.
    Me: Why? I will make you help me. Give me your GM's contact.
    The SA disconnected the phone. I thought like may be he will replace it under warranty. SA came at bay only & showed me the shoe. Well, he was pretty tense & nervous so i smiled. I told him, don't worry, pls replace them. I was expecting this. Ohhh What sigh of relief he had. He asked me how could i achieve this feat?
    These brakes were gone almost 2000-3000 KMs back. He asked me if i noticed any sparkles littering inside wheels during night drive:-??
    I took it as a joke but he was serious. It irritated me & i made him clear that i am no "Ghost rider". Just mind your business as the newer ones may wear out even earlier.

By the way, I was already planning it as this bad & wild ride will turn into one lethal short-range ballistic missile without good braking no matter if it's a truck or a bus. They rubbed the discs too with sand paper to clean out the linings & front brake pads cost was Rs. 3400. Rest of the stuff came to a collective Rs. 6000 (filters, engine oil). A total bill of Rs. 9937 was charged inclusive of Labour n bla bla charges.

The car is absolutely fine & perfect everywhere. Had under-body inspection, another coating of Anti-rust & Teflon. So the shiny gloss is back. A noticeable improvement in mileage but i felt car a bit slower than earlier. Reason being, the guy disconnected the -ve terminal :A. It was literally taking off earlier. I didn't feel any other difference apart from a little gain in mileage. I will post the scanned copies of the bill receipt tomorrow.

Now i need another good highway drive of 100-200 KMs to bring that tuning back.
    I was really enjoying those shoves during last 3-4 days:A.
    It's taken off again till it's next landing at ABS Motors in Nov-Dec 2012.
    A few pics should never be bad idea for T-Wine 90HP. Here we go:

Washing 3.jpg Washing 1.jpg Washing 2.jpg Before Antirust 1.jpg Antirust Coat.jpg Before Antirust.jpg Antirust in progress 6.jpg Antirust in progress.jpg Antirust in progress 1.jpg Antirust in progress 2.jpg Antirust in progress 3.jpg Antirust in progress 4.jpg Teflon 3.jpg Teflon 1.jpg Teflon 2.jpg
    2 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ENKI, 6000 for the second service appears to be fine. I also paid 6k for my Linea's second service. Didn't change the brake pads though :D.
  5. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    brake pads costing 3400 :eek:. Recently i replaced them for 2700 inclusive of taxes . You need to check out the prices with the dealer again n btw i liked the way u asked for GM contact....:D
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Thanks Ran, I will get it checked for Rs. 700 surplus.

Ramjn, At TASS, It's horrible to leave any stuff what so ever in your car. I collected everything except a Pen Drive inside the glove box. I even cross checked it when it was getting washed. As soon as the wiper guys entered the car after 5 mins it wasn't there. They used to raid a car with 6-7 people diving inside the car with shobby cloth pieces in their hands.
    I also lost my sunglass during 1st dervice. I didn't mind that as it was genuinely a mistake to leave such stuff on the dashboard. I didn't expect it to be back & man, did TASS guys fail onto expectation..!

You can make them work no doubt, but have to a bit careful at such things. These guys are very dangerous on this aspect. Had it been a bad vehicle experience, i would have tied & packed all those wipers inside boot & drop them on NH-8 without stopping it. The team leader checked everybody's pockets but i felt awkward & didn't like the scene. I told him, leave it, it was my fault:(.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now you need to bring that "Hell Point(s)" back :) of your punto.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is Bad. But, it happens with almost all service centers including Maruti and Hyundai. The difference is, the SA makes sure that nothing is left in the car and hands them over the owner even before taking the car for service. They even have a checklist to see if any things are left in the car.

Instpecting the pockets of the mechanics is real bad and embarrasing too. Why should innocent workers also be offended? I would say that the SA should have taken due care to inspect the car well. During my first service, I too left the pendrive in the car and I realized this only after leaving the service center. But, I called the SA and informed about this. Eventually I forgot about this, but while taking delivery of the car in the evening, the SA handed over the pendrive to me .
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Enki, I enjoyed reading your service report like reading a travelogue. Your car might have lost all Enkism in it after the -ve terminal disconnect:p Now you have to train him from beginning. Poor fellow might have forgotten the adventures that it had with bigger engines.

What I hate in service stations is the way they take the car inside as if bringing a starved person in front of food.. They give all kinds of scratches. I don't understand why they can't drive it slowly and carefully.

Some time the car also get a chance to get lifted. Always we get lifted due to excitement when we drive. And this poor fellow is so planted on road so hardly get any chance to get lifted on road like his other counterpart.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yes Sungoa. It's an amazing machine. I am flattened on all 4 croners. Nothing comes to close when it comes to fun & enjoy driving. You may pretend to do that in Maruti or Hyundai for a couple of days, you feel like kicking it on 3rd day when one suffers sore butts & shattered backbone. This thing will always leave you expecting more next time. So interesting & engaging! Insanely sturdy & solid stuff, infact over-engineered as per current automotive standard even when it is an 8 yr old effort. Leave that plastic thing, the key points on which a car rides on roads are so very thought out & ridiculously solidified that one may plan to survive an armageddon inside it:mrgreen:. I couldn't produce a loose screw sound despite of my best efforts. Not slowing down at potholes@all speeds that it can achieve, jumping at brakers/undulations on roads, pulling handbrakes@140 KM/hr, insane turns that one may lose his eyebolls, what ever hell comes to mind. Things got scary & unbelievable but it didn't have a single wrinkle. Whooooo.... This is some macho stuff..!! This is the CAR:cool..!

I pay utmost regards, respect & so thankful to FIAT for creating such GEMs. I hope they will continue like this & not kill passion completely to make more & more money instead. It is also astonishingly unbelievable how people could be such worst judges when everything is so obvious & different. It's like a naked person dancing in a cocktail party, a moon among stars. By far, the best car. The deeper you go, the more you convince yourself. I can't stop laughing whenever i have to ride/drive any other car. Even for cars twice the cost, when you feel bored of their shiny plastics after 2-3 days, they feel like..... sub- standard.
    3 people like this.