1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One hell of a Point _ Punto MJD 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Thanks all. TFI is very generous to new joinees. Since it's site for fiat enthusiasts only, i wrote from depth of my heart without masking any emotions or angers.

@Vivek lko: no dear, i am not a pro but like ripping out cars in a sane manner. You can easily carry 150+ speeds in punto in floating highway traffic (barring too many two wheelers as they are awful with their predictability). I do that once a day, Try yourself. But can never imagine doing that in any other car. If you need to come back to control, just gently put your foot on brake & it will come down at 100-120 without punishing your brakes.
    I was trying to break down 0-100 timings of 14-15 secs which i could break into
    0-25 : 5-6 secs (it was for 0-25 & 0-100, just skipped a line)
    25-65: 3-4 secs
    65-100: 4-5 secs
    But i bet you do have possibly industries best 25-190 under your foot (except Chevrolet Cruze with Fiat's 1.9 JTD :mad::mad::mad:)
    Regarding ECU, i was aware about it's adaptability so drove it "like i have stolen it from very first minute". I have also heard that Fiat's engines are tuned to give only 80-85% for first 10000 Kms.
    I am a firm believer of notion that engine pistons & ring setup can be given max. treatment during 10000 Kms. I did that on my Zen which used to climb so easily to speeds above 140 k mph & used to have a bit of Ferrari's feeling (FE part only :shock: as it's consumption dramatically dropped whenever i did that). For five ppl on board, obviously you have 2 ton weight (in my case all my friends are more than 90 Kg) & it should hamper the things but you look concerned. I would suggest you to drive aggressively for next 200 Kms (take occasional throttle in 2nd-3rd gear) & notice if there are any changes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    ENKI Welcome to TFI, with your Grande,
    Enjoyed reading the introduction section as you have written all that is in your heart.
    Be safe on roads and enjoy the beauty,,,,
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

that was one of the best intro...

congratulations on your new buy...
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome & Really liked your into..
  5. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

ENKI the max speed quoted in manual is 165. How come you were able to achieve 190 ? Can it be due to speedo error ? But 25KmpH speedo error seems to be to large though!!!

Oops I never knew cruze has FIATs 1.9JTD..I thought it was there own!!!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Cruze does not have FIAT's 1.9 JTD.

It has its own 2.0 engine, developed by VM Motori. Ofcourse, VM Motori is now co-owned by FIAT. :D
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Vivek, obviously i am referring to the speedometer here. There could be the speedo-error but trust me you have full throttle start a deep breath at 100 km h, by the time you finish, it's on 165. I am sure Fiat's Speed-error is comparatively lesser than other automakers (Maruti has 15% as per auto car's in-gear acceleration comparison where they show the actual speed achieved in different gears). I would suggest you to check those stats.
    All i can say, You try it yourself. you will be pretty amazed that it goes way beyond 165 comfortably.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

One heck of an Intro that was! Loved every bit of it, you indeed seem to have some magical writing skills.

Enjoy the Italian beast!
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

@Gurjinder Sir, the rabbit hole goes much deeper. Let me tell you one thing. All US automaker's are totally junk with no technological know-how, It's Europe. Fiat had to sell it's injector design, ECU & other production permission/rights to Bosch & VM Motori to bail itself out (Fiat's Magnetti Marelli was the only ECU source for common rail's at that time).
    GM sole purpose for tie-up with FIAT in 2001 was to get it's technical know-how of Diesel engine that they needed to penetrate Europe market. A joint plant at Mirafori for production of these engines was set up & then GM dumped FIAt by paying just 2 Billion for compensation.

If you want a even bigger shock, even Ford TDCI is older version of Multijet by product of such a joint venture. It appears funny when 2nd grade Indian auto magazines comment TDCI engine to be more refined than Multijet. That makes me laugh. They don't know that Fiat has deliberately allow engine noise into the cabin to create growl feeling. They think that's it's one unrefined engine. How come an automaker with 115 yrs of experience can go wrong with that. On top of that the motorcycle makers (who fancy themselves as car makers) are getting that right. Sure!!

FIAT made a pact with VM-Motori in 2005. At the same point, to meet extra demands for OPEL (Europe) in 2007, GM immediately bought the 50% of VM Motori (FIAT was furious with VM Motori but they themselves were fighting for their survival). Don't trust me, check out term "Multijet" on Wikipedia. For the other half, Hyundai was approaching & FIAT forcibly had to purchase the rest of 50 % to have some sort of a hold in 2009.
    FIAT has been tricked & looted very badly. Some of their world's first DOHC engine concept (1962), World's first semi-automatic (1997), World's first galvanized vehicle (Tipo 1985), world's first traction control concept for front wheel drive (D) segment cars (Alfa Romeo 164) in 80s. Every automaker (including Audi & BMW) had Alfa romeo's cars at their R&D to check out how Alfa romeo could manage this.

Hope you got the point that FIAT is not that good at business. Even with TATA, look what they have given them in return for 500-1000 cars to be sold monthly. They can easily charge TATA a few billion dollars for so many engines being sold in Indica's & Manza's. FIAT is more than just an automaker.
    3 people like this.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

ENKI, I fully agree with the viewpoint that the fountainhead of innovation has been Europe indeed.

And i appreciate your deep understanding of FIATs affairs, but the only point was that Cruze is using an engine developed by VM Motori and not the FIAT 1.9 JTD.

Also, the 1.4 ford tdci engine is surely not an older iteration of the Multijet. It seems to be a product of Peugeot+Ford combine. Peugeot used the same engine themselves and branded it as 1.4 Hdi.