1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

One hell of a Point _ Punto MJD 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by ENKI, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi ENKI,

i remember in offtopic thread you mentioned about your running shoes profile 205/65/R15.
    Would please share your review in your own style :D .
    Pics will be added advantage.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yesterday, after sufficient wait of 2 days for SA's call on update of my Inter-cooler EW approval, i called him up and asked on developments. His reply was, "mail is sent, we have to see if it gets approved". I got a bit aggressive on this. With all maintenance schedules carried out on time, why approval is still uncertain. Then he said... sir i mean...! I told him that he doesn't mean anything. I decided to call on FIAT's toll free.

The girl speaking was like... Sir, we don't look after cases of warranty. They are a separate team. I asked her the contact details of the team. She didn't have any contacts.

Then i asked her what do they do at toll free... if you don't look for Warranty cases? Most of the maintenance issues are directly/indirectly related to FIAT's commitments/warranty somewhere. She was speechless for a few secs and then started talking like a FIAT person. "Anyways, you tell us sir, How can i help you". I told her to follow up at Torque FIAT in reference to my Intercooler issue. She agreed and said to me that they will call at Torque FIAT and personally follow up on the approval.

Just 30 mins later... i received call of my SA, Mr. Mukesh Kumar.

Sir... Sir... Your Inter cooler is approved and it is already available with us. Kindly get it replaced, if possible today only.

Today... i went there early enough and made sure that my Job card is opened as first one and the car find an empty lift/bay. With-in an Hr or so, i was confirmed that Intercooler is replaced but i have to wait for 10-15 mins. I asked why... SA told me that approval is in progress.

i said... what?? You told me that it already approved.

ohh... did i say so... sir... Actually FIAT se call aa gaya. But you don't worry, we won't take more than 15 mins.

You bet he did it in less than 15 mins. No Labour charges... nothing. Everything covered under warrantee.

So next important thing was... how it is performing after new inter-cooler installation.

It has become mad.... insane!!
    At first instance, when i throttled, it felt like some aftermarket upgrade. I have been driving it right from the day 1, it is best performance till date. Especially in 3rd gear, the difference in performance was unbelievable. It was giving wheel-spin@80 km/hr on sudden but progressive throttle@3000 RPM. It never happened before! Awesome!!

This engine has really become an entirely different beast after some real hard revving of 20 months and 72,000 KMs!! I could also sense that problem with Intercooler wasn't very recent. There could be a crack big enough happened which degraded performance so much that i could notice it. I almost became habitual to 80% efficiency than what it is now, such is the difference.

Performance was really suppressed. After closer inspection of the old Inter-cooler, i noted not one, two but three different cracks. One in front, two in back when i toppled it over. On top of that, the upper tube swallowed to 3-4 times of it's original size. It is of metal but certainly of not the most rigid kind. Under high temperature and lot of air pressure, it must swell. The engine wasn't breathing enough air... that was bad!!

Let pics do the talking, this intercooler is not right for VGT (if you drive aggressively and revvs a lot). Just see what has happened to it :A . I have no idea since when it was eating into performance of my car

IMG-20140305-00041.jpg IMG-20140305-00043.jpg IMG-20140305-00044.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    prabhjot, chethansgangoor and Cinju like this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

6th Service@75,000 KMs

Had 6th Service yesterday. Since 5th Service@60,000 KMs is kind of overhauling, this is easier on pocket. In-fact this is the cheapest Service i had so far. Only Fluids & Filters change, total amount around INR 7500. Torque Motors was really quick this time and my car was ready in 2hr (including washing).

Need inputs on Injector Cleaner. It doesn't need right now but i am thinking about using because of bad fuel quality and it has already covered 75000 KMs. Pls suggest if someone had a positive experience. Planning to have EGR clean-up for next service. Clutch and overall performance is intact so far, so nothing to worry about as of now.

Only problem, i am not able to control myself after new Inter-cooler replacement. The pick up is awesome and i am enjoying it. Last time, Brake pad replacement was done@ 20,000 KMs, highest so far. Looks like another 10,000 KMs Brake-Pads change is around the corner :A
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Through it's 1,00,000 Kms, never missed a beat!

98% of driving is in Jam packed Delhi traffic where it rarely saw 4th gear. When-ever it did, it was revved like hell. This is the car that can't be driven harder, my MPFI Zen used to throw back coolant all over engine compartment with its coolant-reservoir cap missing. Even though I held myself back as much as I could, one it's Gas kit was blown away.

Not the same story with Punto.. Were it a Maruti, It would require million ltrs of coolant with room full of reservoir caps to keep it running. Engine is full of endurance but car's dynamics are also totally unaffected for the amount of testing it was subjected to. In-fact it's performing better than it was new.

I am planning to keep it for next couple of yrs (in anticipation that FIAT will provide a proper up-gradation for Punto meantime), so planning an overhaul for the same.

1. EGR, Exhaust clean-up
    2. Replacement of strut caps (Missed FIAT's recall, a creaking sound when un-loading rear suspension)
    3. Some dent & touching jobs, nothing substantial but as you would expect that it is getting kissed by bikers or fellow cars in Delhi traffic
    4. New tires, planning to switch over to 205/60 R15 (Bridgestone Potenza GIII or MRF ZLO). 65 profile is inducing more and more body roll as it's aging.
    5. Clutch is already due, Not showing any signs but will get it checked during 1,05,000 Service.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 24, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 24, 2015 ---
    IMG-20150120-00064.jpg IMG-20150124-00077.jpg
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Welcome back ENKI. Congrats on touching the 1L mark. :)
    Crazy Fiatian, ENKI and prabhjot like this.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Here you go! ENKI and his Punto back with a bang! 1L milestone (another hell of a point)Wish you many more happy miles with your Punto
    ENKI likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congraulations ENKI for 1Lakh kms.
    Neeraj Bajaj likes this.