1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Oil pressure too low stop and turn off the engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Raghavan Kandala, Sep 30, 2015.

1. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Anyone here know how to measure engine oil and how much it should be at?
    Coz, today morning, I checked oil gauge (dipstick), and the oil only covered half of the tip.

I am a little worried right now as the engine oil was topped up only last month when I went to get the glow plugs replaced. Have run about 2K kms since then and today morning when I checked it was at the above mentioned level.

Is it normal (I'm hoping it is normal) and can I continue to drive without any issues, as I have another 5K kms for the next service at 75K Kms.

Or would it be a better idea to take it to FASS and ask them for an oil change and monitor the level from there till the next service?

Any clues anyone?

Thanks in advance.
  2. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    i would advise you to maintain a 10k service interval for oil chnage after 50k run just to be sure everything is fine.
  3. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks bibin. I plan to go for an oil & filter change this weekend. Vecto motors turned me down, so have to look for other options though!
  4. onesky

onesky Timido

kannur
    Hi all
    I have similar B problem with my 2009 Linea Emotion (61,000km Odometer)since last few days with warning "
    OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW STOP AND TURN OFF"

I took to fiat service centre,they tried change pressure switch but warning still on. They think it could be the pressure pump !
    However to get a second opinion I took to another service station where they suspect it as the engine bearing problem!

I would like to know how this issue has been resolved on those cars experience the same problem before ?

Really appreciate your input as the mechanic quoting over 50k to do the work , to be honest the car has been a lemon for me with regular problems with display cluster failure, starting trouble etc

5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    61000 kms and lemon? Is yours a first hand or used vehicle, do tell. I don't mean that 61000 kms is too much for an mjd, typically diesels worldwide, atleast the 'bullet proof' variants run for 3-4lac kms easy till overhaul or repairs are demanded. It depends on varying tunes and designs also though. But generally they must munch lots of miles before demanding attention.

Have you tried changing your engine oil since the error has occurred. Do also keep checking oil levels regularly till the problem either self resolves or there is issue with the pumping of oil which could or should get resolved soon. I wouldn't hesitate to use an oil flush for engine from a reputed brand like Wurth or Liqui moly or any German brand particularly for diesels. Maybe declogging internals of engine could help. That followed by a 5w40 oil and STP diesel oil additive or similar one from liqui moli (not ceratec mind you).

This is just an experiment, and to my best knowledge should not worsen the situation. But be advised still, 'Do it at your own risk!' Intentions of members and advices are based on experiences or empirical evidences at times. So scientific proof and statistics may not be available rather could be against these beliefs or methodologies.

EDIT: A safer option to flush could be using a 15w40 HDEO oil from Mobil or Castrol or Shell. But make sure it's meant for diesel engines. Shell rimula is a good option. Use it for a few hundred kms and flush it.

@onesky
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    After all this is done also try cleaning sump, intake-egr, intercooler etc. Timing chain could also be due for a change or already done?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. onesky

onesky Timido

kannur
    Thanks heaps for your input
    I just did the oil change and replaced oil filter, air filter and fuel filter
    Currently filled with 5w30
    I'm thinking of doing the flush method using 15w40 shell rimula
    Timing chain was done at 50k ,
    What is intake EGR? and inter cooler ?
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Did warning came shortly after oil and filter change ?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    5w30 can kill it. Please don't use thinner oil than recommended. If you still want to use atleast add viscosity modifier like STP for diesel oil.

EGR is egr valve, intercooler is to reduce intake air temperature and improve density of air, but sometimes oil traces can be found in it. Air Intake manifold is most important to clean up maybe every 30k kms or so. But it is upto you how aggressively you want to do preventive maintenance.

@onesky
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. onesky

onesky Timido

kannur
    I changed oil and filter because of warning (5w30) few days ago, but as you guys suggest 5w40 would be best as such I'm planning to change it again next week. The warning is still on and off intermittent

Another question - is it required to add any additives or lubricants to engine oil? Like Selenia WR
    ACEA A3/B3/B4 Fiat 9.55535-N2?

image.jpeg