1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Oil pressure too low stop and turn off the engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Raghavan Kandala, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Raghavan Kandala

Raghavan Kandala Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello all,

I own a 2012 Punto MJD and my car's MID is throwing up this message. Here is the story :

In Jan this year (ODO reading at about 20K), I saw this message on the MID and took the car to the Service Center (Vecto Motors) immediately. Car went up and the oil drained down and found that the oil consumption is more than normal (Engine Oil replaced at 14K - hardly 5K run in 10 months). They suggested to topup the oil and do a test run for 1000KM and check the reduction in the level. So, we did that and took the car back after 2000 KM (almost 1100KM of highway driving in these 2K KM) and the engine oil consumption was normal. By the end of this exercise, it was time for the annual service and that happened and the engine oil was replaced (at 23K).

Few days back, I noticed the same message on the MID and was totally disappointed at it. I thought it was some ECU / Sensor related thing as this message will popup only when I take a sharp right turn. But, didn't want to take any chance and spoke to the SA and I was asked to bring the car this morning. The ODO reading stands at 28K.

Got a call from the SA in the evening and the oil level has gone down by 700ml which seems to be more than usual. They sent this report to FIAT and they got a response that engine needs to be overhauled.

When I bought the car, I also bought an extended warranty which is valid till 2016 March. I was told by the SA that under extended warranty only a percentage of the expense is covered and not the entire amount. I don't remember the sales guy telling me this at the time of purchase. Is this true ?

I haven't heard any other sounds from the engine and it was running smooth as usual and I am expecting the damage to be minimal (a particular part gone bad). I asked the SA what is engine overhaul and he said they will examine each block in the Engine and replace all the parts in the block that is causing the problem irrespective of if all are gone or only one or few are gone. This sounds little weird to me, anyone heard about this ?

I am very disappointed at the moment that such a brilliant engine is throwing major problems at just 19K. My plan was to keep the car for a long time and that is the reason to go for a diesel car though my running is low. I am contemplating this idea now.

What next ?

SA will send a list of parts that may require to be replaced and an estimate to FIAT guys and they will send back a response with what and how much of the estimate is covered under extended warranty. I am pretty anxious at the moment about that number after reading a similar story on T-Bhp (Fiat punto engine failure @57K km)

My extended warranty expires in another 6 months and the warranty on the replaced parts is also only for 6 months.

All of this will take some days and until then I am car less :-(

If the estimate is very high, what options do I have here ?
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Get a second opinion from either KHT or Aadya and see whats in store.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    if the engine is drinking oil you should see a blue smoke. have you seen it? any oil leaks? Is there any other symptoms in the car apart from error on MID? i think we dont have to pay if the part is covered in EW. People who has used EW can confirm that.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 30, 2015 ---
    These are the symptoms of engine overhaul.
    1.excessive smoke coming out of the Engine breather pipe. More so at idling.
    2.Reduced acceleration from low speed.
    3.Excessive consumption of engine oil.
    4.Need to heat up the glow plugs for some time prior to cranking the engine on a cold start.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. Raghavan Kandala

Raghavan Kandala Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Deepak , I have certainly not observed excessive smoke coming out of the Engine breather pipe. I haven't felt any reduction in acceleration at low speeds as well.

As of now, excessive consumption of engine oil is the only visible symptom. I always wait for a minute or two before cranking up the engine after I turn on the ignition and post that I idle it for couple of minutes.

Let's see how it goes. Spending my anxious moments with fingers crossed.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems like no escape from the situation.Most of the cases of Oil consumption leads to engine overhaul.Sorry to hear about it.Please keep us updated about how things are going forward.Have they done engine compression test ?
  6. Raghavan Kandala

Raghavan Kandala Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges, I can check with the SA if they have done this or not. But, what is it and what does it tell us ?
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This test tells you, how is your engine valves,piston rings are performing(if any wear and tear).Inshort, how healthy is your engine.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    They test each cylinder against factory settings during overhauling. If any part is deviating from default setting, they gonna replace that. But if you are seeing only consumption I suggest to take a second opinion from aadya motors. Please contact Raghu ram there. Keep us posted.
  9. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Engine Oil consumption can also be thru the Turbo OR even the heat Exchanger as well.

Get a second opinion at another service center. Get a Compression test. If the results of compression test are fine. get the fass to check the heat exchanger and turbo.

Does your run any other oil than what was done at FASS ?
    sriramr9 likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if its due to the turbo,then the car pickup will be affected drastically.