1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Oil pressure low signal

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Hitesh, Feb 13, 2011.

1. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Thanks PuntoMJD and Puntojith!

Even I presume that if the engine oil level is lower than expected, the Oil indicator should stay lit. Today morning I did a cold start, the message did not come up but the oil indicator light remained ON for 2-3 sec then went away unlike non-cold starts where the indicator light quickly goes off soon as the car is started. One speculation: the oil level could be low but above the minimum threshold and during cold starts it would be taking time to circulate throughout the engine causing the sensor to pick the actual levels late. I am going to monitor this although at present doesnot sound much of worry. What say?

By the way sorry, I didn't understand the part where you talked about car stalling. :( Would it be connected to lesser engine oil levels?
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If the clutch is not applied before the car comes to a complete halt, the car stalls with the same error message on the MID. I think he was referring to this.
    1 person likes this.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @fiatlover

Engine stalling error is "Insufficient oil pressure" not "low oil pressure" :)
    2 people like this.
  4. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    I have been getting a message - "Insufficient Engine Oil Pressure" constantly and engine turns off while moving. I have to then restart the engine. This always happens when the car slows down e.g. before negotiating a turn and at a speed of about 20 kmph. I have to immediately restart since the power shuts off affecting the brakes and steering - it becomes difficult to turn or stop, especially dangerous if the car in front of me stops suddenly and I need to bring the car to a stop.

I saw a couple of other threads related to issue here and applied some solutions but nothing seems to work and I thought of posting this up before going to the workshop to see if anyone has any inputs on this.

These are the solutions that I have already applied:

1. First of course I checked the oil level which is fine.
    2. I reset the ECU by taking off the terminal wire from the battery and waited a couple of hours before putting it back on, and then drove out for a 10 km trip. It seemed to have been fixed on that trip but started again the next day.

This was some days back and by now it happens every 5 minutes.

I also read up on some other Fiat forums and gathered information on what some possible root causes could be:

1. Oil pressure sensor defective - this could be possible since the symptoms described on the site seemed very similar to my issue.
    2. Could be a software issue - I am not sure about this one. I don't know whether resetting the ECU could be related to this solution because I have already tried it without success although immediately afterwards there was a false illusion of it being fixed.
    3. Idle control valve clogged - I have my doubts about this one because the issue does not happen during idle but when the car is slowing down and at a speed of 20 kmph or less.

I spoke to some Fiat workshops folks even before venturing out to their workshops, but they didn't seem to have come across such a problem before and had no observations except that the oil level must be low(which it is not), and honestly that is the reason behind why I posted here because this Forum has always helped my with my Fiat issues with a lot of inputs from experienced members. I know that the workshop has to check the car first and I will take it there next week when I get some free time(at least one whole day actually for a Fiat car a issue from my experience).

Let me know what you think if you are aware about this issue.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Not advised to continue using the car without resolving the issue especially since the hydraulics shuts off too and you will lose steering and brake input. Also more dangerous is when you switch off the ignition to restart, the possibility of steering getting locked is scary and for real and you may do something awkward in desperation. God save.

If the ASC is unable to diagnose, send mail to fiat , speak to them and get them to coordinte with the SC

Abdul
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Can it be a faulty oil pump?
  7. After solution .please tell your cars state ,i m eager to know what happened to ur car,

- - - Merged Post - - -

After solution .please tell your cars state ,i m eager to know what happened to ur car,
  8. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Why don't you get examiner connected to gather the error details? Did you get hit anytime underneath oil sump? May be oil pump is giving up at lower rpms.
  9. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    Yea I drove it like that for a few days and yes it does feel a bit edgy when the steering and brakes switch off all of a sudden but firstly it is thankfully happening at very slow speeds and secondly I am an extremely seasoned driver having driven all kinds of 4-wheelers for several decades :). But it is risky.

Stopped driving the Linea after the frequency of the issue increased, and using another car now.

Possible, but I don't know.

Hey teacher, sir, your first post here! Yes of course this thread is also for the benefit of all TFI members including you - my threads always give complete details so that the information benefits others too. That's the idea of a Forum.

I think you mean using the examiner at the workshop. Yes I will ask them to do so if they don't spot the defect immediately. Thanks for the suggestion!
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Ask ASS to connect a guage and check oil pressure if it reports ok gauge then sensor is faulty and if pressure is really low then first check oil filter and check again if it again shows low reading oil pump would be faulty.
    Driving in this condition is not recommended as it can lead to engine getting damaged.