1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

oil leak???

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Nov 5, 2012.

1. dear friends,
    today morning during my regular check up of engine and underside I found oilmarks on the side and undersurface of oil pan..I took it off with my finger and appeared as a black greasy material.. no oil drops was noted on floor till now. my car has done 26825 kms so far. please throw some light into the issue. has any seal has gone or is it be neglected as no visible oil marks on ground noted so far?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Please check the engine from where the oil is leaking. Also check oil level too. If any other car was parked earlier before you parked your car.
    This might be a case too.
    If you are able to locate any oil leakage marks on engin then take your car to service center for the fixing & top up the oil level....
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    There are 2 chances. Its left over oil while draining the oil at service centre or drops while pouring the oil in the engine. Else its small oil mist leak from o rings.
  4. dear italia linea,

actually the surface appears to be wet ..I mean not in drop like marks. I traced its origin near the joint where the oil pan is attched to the upper engine block.. I don't know whether it's a fresh leak or not? thank you for ur suggestion.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Check the engine oil level. How long ago was it when you topped it last and how far has it gone down? If it was long ago and there is not much drop in the level, there shouldn't be anything to worry. Also check another Punto and see if the wetness of the area is similar.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes even i had this problem. Next time during oil change ask them to open the oil pan and change the gasket. Also with the gasket ask them to use silicone sealent. Dont worry about it much
  7. dear friends,
    went to concorde today morning. Mr Sajeevan ,fiat job team leader attended the problem and traced the cause. It was a minor leak from the joint of oil sump. actually it is attched to the upper engine block with nuts and a paste.that paste has gone loose..so the minor leak. they cleaned the area, repasted it.(under warranty)..now ok. got the vehicle back at 4.30 pm. thank you fellow members for the suggestion and a special thanks to Sajeevan for the work he has done.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    Hi friends,

There is an oil leak from our punto, its found on the right side of engine. Oil is leaking into the engine guard. But I'm not sure if its the engine oil. How do we find out if its engine oil or transmission oil or turbo oil? Its black in colour.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The turbo uses the engine oil only and most probably it'll be that leaking from somewhere. Have it checked whenever you visit the service centre and meanwhile keep an eye on the engine oil level.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  10. LotusFeet

LotusFeet Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I notice couple of oil drops below the bonnet area when the car is parked for a while. I observed it today. What could be the issue?