1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Oil in Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Shreyas Ravetkar, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Shreyas Ravetkar

Shreyas Ravetkar Timido

Linea 1.4
    Hi Fiatians,
    I am coming up with a new post which shattered me 2 days back, never heard of it before so discussing it.
    I am not a technical guy, few days back I posted regarding warning lights on my dashboard. When discussed here, the most appropriate conclusion i got was the battery problem. My battery went dead on Mumbai Banglore highway and I was stuck in the middle of the road.
    I just called up exide pick up van for the battery issue and they gave me a service battery by which all the warning signals went off, sop was the problem of battery only. But happened to meet a random driver on highway who probably came to help me and he said there is oil in the coolant.. Well i was shocked as I have never heard of such issues before. I got my battery back fully charged and the car is running fine. now what kicks my mind is should I really trust that random driver who said there is oil in the coolant? The temperature indicator shows temperature level normal.
    How do I check if there is oil in the coolant ? Just to verify everything is fine.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

You can start by checking the coolant in the coolant bottle to see if there is any oil in it ;)

Or you can open the engine oil filler cap and see if there is any chocolate shake type formation under the cap.

3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    There are incidences where the water pumps are getting leaked & coolant water is getting mixed with engine oil. So the oil is getting seen in coolant.

But in your case have you observed this? If yes then there is a big problem & you need to sort it out asap.
    If random drivers are saying anything then please confirm the same first & then directly call RSA. Do not take their help as that may be a trap.
  4. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    As mentioned by gurjinder, how about checking the coolant reservoir for signs of oil? It's the one circled in red.

The slimey formation in the engine oil would happen for the reverse scenario: coolant getting into the engine oil. Again, check this for your peace of mind. Also, your oil level on the dipstick will gradually keep increasing, if coolant is indeed getting into the oil flow.

But i dont think you should be too worried if your car is running smoothly.