1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

odo started blinking.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by deepam, Dec 11, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Try cleaning the board with IPA. If you have a friend which is into electronics and a spare working blue and me unit from other car you can figure out which thing is blown after testing by multimeter and change that part if available in market.
    Butyl pad is already installed in your car.
    sk.kashyap.92 likes this.
  2. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @sk.kashyap.92 Looking at the water marks all over the unit I am afraid your B&M unit is probably dead. However, it does not cost much for cleaning with Iso Propyl Alcohol as suggested by @vIjAy_kHaSa. First clean the board and contacts thoroughly using IPA. Use a lint free cloth - that is very important to avoid lint fibers in the connectors and causing loose contacts later. Let the excess alcohol evaporate. Then thoroughly dry the board using a hair dryer on medium or low heat. Hold the hair dryer at least 2-3 inches away from the board when you blow hot air on the board. After that assemble the whole thing and try your luck!

CAUTION: IPA is highly inflammable. Keep away from flames and sparks during the whole process. Work in a well ventilated room with open windows. If possible wear a protective glove on your hand to avoid IPA irritating skin (general precaution to be taken with any chemical except H2O and NaCl :) ). Tightly close the bottle after you are done with the cleaning to avoid remaining IPA vanishing into the air!
    vIjAy_kHaSa and sk.kashyap.92 like this.
  4. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi ravi,thanks for the detail information. i think I should get this checked with a computer guy.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I doubt even a computer guy will be able to help much unless the circuit details (like different test points and expected voltage/current there) are available. We don't have any such information available for B&M boards. That is why @vIjAy_kHaSa had suggested you to compare voltage of some points with a known good B&M unit to guess which component may be faulty. However, looking at the water marks in the pictures you have posted I feel too much water had gone into the unit. Because of such a major drowning event, not just some components may be faulty, the board holding the components can also have gone bad. Modern electronics uses multi-layered boards. Water may enter the space between the layers because the edge of the boards are not sealed in case of low end boards like this. Your chances of rescuing it are very remote if the tracks between the layers have given up because of water or short circuit resulting from water. Even if the board has not gone bad and you identify faulty component sourcing the component can be almost impossible for such special devices because component dealers won't stock them. Therefore my suggestion is try cleaning and drying first. If that does not give results, I would say bad luck.
    vIjAy_kHaSa likes this.
  6. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi ravi,thanks for the detail information. i think I should get this checked with a computer guy.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2015 ---
    hi ravi. .i will try getting the same cleaned by a computer repairing guy.hope same gets working. .fingers crossed.. but still don't understand reason for water logging if butyl pad is properly installed. .
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You know this butyl pad treatment from Fiat is a dumb treatment, just a quick fix. That is why it has failed miserably. They should have either placed the B&M unit in another place or sealed it completely water proof when they know condensed water drips on the B&M unit. Instead they took a quick and dirty solution of "butyl pad" which turned out to be "futile pad". A great manager I worked with in 1998 had told never do "quick and dirty" work because it "remains dirty for ever but never quick". How true!
    VahanPujari likes this.
  8. Utpal Saikia

Utpal Saikia Timido

Jorhat, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh
    Linea 1.3
    Hi, everyone,
    The odo started blinking in my linea also and after a few days the entire MIDI went blank, while the B&M and the media player are working fine. My car runs only about 7 days per month and remains idle for rest of the time. Now im thinking of cleaning the B&M box and see if it solves the problem. However I am wondering no one here has experienced the MIDI issue. Could they have the same cause ? any comment/advice ?
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Agreed.

Firstly, AC colling coil turns bad and replaced.
    While replacing it, something happened which might have resulted in AC condensation water falling on B&M unit
    The placement of B&M unit is questionable since Fiat knew that the probability of condensation water falling on it is very high.
    Then the dreaded thing happens & B&M unit stops working.
    They say change B&M unit which probably costs >Rs. 10,000, I guess
    Customer will ask about changing it in warranty (for having suffered the issue for no fault for his). FASS might deny if it's out of warranty.
    Customer will send mails & make calls to Fiat higher ups, After few frenetic calls in which everybody would have spent working it for a few hours / days, a "goodwill gesture" from Fiat shall come through approving a "goodwill warranty" on an exception.

Why does Fiat fall in such vicious circles again & again?
    RaviHegde likes this.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Engineering does not think proactively and design in such a way that problems don't arise. It is the same old problem we see in software engineering. The later a problem is detected, costlier it is to fix it because of its impact on so many other things. Then what we do is patch work. That will remain a headache for ever. In case of B&M unit, once this problem of water condensation was detected engineering head should have had the guts to take this mistake to the management and get approval to change the design. Instead seemingly cheap butyl pad approach is taken which will keep the management happy for the moment, and, also the engineering does not get beaten up. But it makes the customers very unhappy. End of the day there is no winner in this game - everybody is a loser. This is the way organizations take wrong approach and waste lot of their energy in handling so much of support calls, escalations, warranty claims ... all unnecessary in the first place if the design is changed. Only god knows when the light bulb in the head of these "higher ups" lights up!

Note: Instead of taking a chance I am going to open my B&M unit right away and seal it so that condensed water cannot enter it!