1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Occassionally engine doesn't crank

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ugandhar, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

I completed 19k kms with my car, but i see some strange problem which i can't start my car in first attempt. We have 3 positions for key 1. STOP -Engine off 2. MAR- Electrical works 3. AVV- Engine starting.

If i keep changing the key position from 1 to 2 position for 3 or 4 times then i can start my engine. it's happening from 10k kms onwards and in my second free service the same has been said in FASS. And they suggested this way of changing key position and try to start. it makes glow plug to heat and then it will start... And there is No problem with the battery.
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Diesel car needs a longer crank to start the car and it is unlike petrol car.
    One should wait for all warning lights to go off once you've moved the key position to MAR and then do a longer crank the car starts.
    See if you are getting a Key Code error(Amber light with a key) on the dash after starting the car ?
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ugandhar
    Can You to understa please elaborate I am unablend
    There are 2 possibilities
    1) YOU are cranking and you are not getting the cranking noise
    2) You are cranking but engine is refusing to fire and you are getting the cranking noise

Which one is the conditon
  4. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Anup no key error code
    @kkual 2nd one
  5. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    It could be the starter relay, get it checked.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Car Not Starting when Battery is Fully Charged
    Some of the common reasons are :-

» Very Low Fuel Levels or Spark Plug has gone and need replacement

» Is your car over-heating, check Fluid Levels, Coolant Levels. Switch off AC and park the car on side

» Switch on Head Lights. Problem in Ignition Switch, if on turning on ignition, the car headlights does not dim a little

» Starter Motor might have gone. Open Bonnet, on turning on ignition - does the motor fan moves or not. If not - starter motor needs to be worked up

» Worse on, Clutch Disc Failure could also attribute to car been stopped in between. In event of Clutch Failure, your car will not move an inch

» On Petrol Cars, Spark Plugs might have gone. But, the problem should start occurring days before with ignition and does not occur on sudden

Worse, if unable to diagnose - you may need to get in touch with garage

http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.php?option=com_latestnews&view=detail&n_id=522&Itemid=10
    drknaresh likes this.
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ugandhar

If its condition 2 then few reasons
    1) Preheating is not taking: either some glow plugs are gone ,weak or not getting proper current due to harness deffect, fuse etc.: To check if glow plugs are the culprit drive the car for some km till the engine gets heated up to good level ( not just when the the temp needle is in center but few km more than that) then stop the engine and restart if its in 1 shot then certainly glow plugs.
    2) Engine is not getting the right amount of fuel it deserves. Reasons can be due to choked injector, malfunctioning secondary or primary pump, choked filters. These can be easily checked by FASS by connecting their PC when the car is being cranked and is not starting.
    These can be checked by you also with simple tests but it will be a long write up so better get hold of SC.

Now if they are saying that it is normal which it isn't because what they are saying is valid for engine which have bigger displacement and run in colder climate you need to convince them. Go to their workshop and tell them to start any other punto close to your odo reading or their showroom car this way you can prove your point.
    May be this helps

There can be many more reasons but these are more predominant
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  8. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I left my car yesterday and today morning car started with in one attempt at FASS... Any way initial finding is frequent battery discharge happening.. still waiting for the final response from them.

What is the Battery warranty for new car.. Mine 1 year 8 months old , Will it come under warranty ?
  9. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Solution: FASS found bad wiring which is related to Reverse parking sensor which is done by FASS itself.. and it's discharging battery everyday night from past 1 year 8 months.. Now they resolved the wiring issue and changed the Battery water and charged for 8 hours and given the car to me. and the battery may give problems later and i need to change the same...