1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Now ready with this beautiful beast - My Punto 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by abhi_k, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    Congrats Abhi for your wonderful possession....

It is alwayz better to go for the paint sealant treatment as early as possible. After that it is better to do the same yourself to save some $$$..... which I follow....
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    No need to go now IMO, can be done post monsoon. Thats what I have planned for.
  3. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Paint sealant will help keep the showroom gloss especially in monsoon if done as soon as possible. It will cost more for a old car than a new one.. It helps protect the paint from UV rays, Bird droppings and harsh sunlight... get it done ASAP!!
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. If you keep your car parked outside,You can go after the monsoon,these frequent spells of rain will ruin the glossy looks...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Paint sealant treatment must be done ASAP, to prevent swirl marks on the car. Ideally a direct drive to 3M from the showroom on taking delivery of the car would be best. If you wait for sometime and then get it done, you would have already accumulated some swirl marks on the car. If you are keen on getting it done, get it done NOW.

Rajan
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Paint sealant does not prevent swirl marks.

Swirl marks happen even if the car is washed improperly the very next day after the treatment.

I had done paint sealant for both my cars while new, now I repent them. As they are no better than a good coating of wax on the car.

If you have a passion for detailing, better do it yourself.

For avoiding swirl marks, remember no dry wiping, only MF cloths to be used gently. If you using the one bucket method for wash, make sure all the loose dust is removed using a Jopasu sorts of a duster. Else, even if you use MF cloth, you will end up creating swirl marks.
    5 people like this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Exactly same thoughts, hence decided to go for it after the monsoon. Even the 3M guy suggested the same, he never forced/coaxed me to get it done immediately.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for that info Driv3r. When I had approached 3M for this treatment, though my car was technically new (was lying 2 years in the dealer's yard), I was told that it would not be possible, as there were too many swirl marks and they cannot be removed completely. I was also told that this treatment needs to be done as soon as possible, after buying the car. Shared the same.

Now I am glad I did not get that treatment done :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

PatchyBoy, well, there are two types of paint sealant treatments.

One, for brand new cars.
    Two, for older cars, with few scratches and swirls thrown in.

Option one is just a hog-wash, and that is what our thread starter would be given. They do unnecessary steps, like claying which is not needed for a freshly painted car, and again machine polish which removes microns of clear coat, and then the so called sealant which is nothing but 3M synthetic wax.

Option 2 is reasonable because, you would go there only if your car has swirls and scratches. And certainly claying a car of this vintage helps to remove all contaminats it has gathered till date. Tree sap, tar, bird droppings, etc. And there is an additional step where they rub down the whole car and also sand the surface gently. Mind you this removes many microns of clear coat and am facing the brunt of this on my 90HP. But end result, your car would look new.

Bottom line, in my books, paint sealant for a new car=waste of money. :) Wash and wax your car periodically as intended and you are definitely good.
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks again for the detailed explanation. I am no detailing expert, but like to clean the car myself. I am not very keen on getting a glossy shiny surface, but am quite satisfied with a clean car. So, I never went back to 3M after that. Now thanks to your post, looks like I did not miss anything :D

Rajan