1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Now ready with this beautiful beast - My Punto 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by abhi_k, Aug 8, 2013.

1. abhi_k

Before I start, I will like to thank you all who helped me in making my decision for my 2nd car.

Finally I got held of Italian beauty on Sunday, 04.08.2013. Must say, the new glistering Punto in the color of Tuscan wine, standing in front of the showroom, was looking stunning.
    This is my second car and the first diesel car. Previously being an owner of swift (ZXI) I was looking for a car which could out run swift in handling, comfort and driving dynamics. I didn’t go on trying many options.

My options included:
    1. Swift Dzire
    2. Honda Amaze
    3. Hyundai i20
    4. Ford Ecosposrt
    5. Punto 90HP

Since I have already driven swift and experienced the ownership, I dropped the idea of Dzire, being the same car except boot.

Honda Amaze is definitely a very good car which comes with Honda sticker, means a reliable machine. It is also very good to drive and great in handling. Here I was looking for petrol option only which is proven and one of the best engine running on Indian road. But I was not very convinced with its exterior build quality and didn’t like interior at all. Also it was equipped with lesser number of features compared to others.

Although Hyundai I20 is in different league in terms of interior quality, long list of available features and interior space. But that’s it. I didn’t like the handling, ride comfort and the way suspension is set up. It is absolutely not a driver’s car.

Ford Ecosport, a good option available with long listed modern features and giving a proud sense of owning an SUV. But has huge waiting period. Since I was looking for immediate ownership, I dropped this option from my list.

And finally Punto 90HP, which I ultimately end up owning - a great car with stunning look, awesome ride comfort, excellent handling and also with lots of added features.

Some positive factors about this Italian beauty which inspired me in going for it:
    1. Unmatched build quality in its segment. Even better than many cars above its segment. Built like a tank
    2. Superb handling with very precise steering
    3. Great ride quality on all kind of roads
    4. Stability at very high speed. The way it keeps itself planted on road at very high speed.
    5. Superb cornering capability, even at very high speed
    6. Awesome suspension. Greatly tuned for low speed as well as high speed drive
    7. Best in class Ground clearance. 185-mm, perfect fr current road condition in Bangalore J
    8. Great driver seating position with very supportive driver seat
    9. Engine refinement
    10. Great engine with 93 HP power
    11. Pick up from 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear onwards
    12. Some very useful features which was not available in swift - such as blue & me, speed alarm, service reminder, follow me head lamp, AC vent beneath the front seat
    13. Excellent Voice recognition system which recognizes our Indian accent very well.
    14. 15,000 km/1 year service interval
    15. Boot size , 280 ltr, good enough for a hatch

Some improvement which I could think of:
    1. Definitely interior quality fit and finish. Many panel gaps here and there.
    2. They can even get better color combination compared to current black and dull grey. I think all in black will be even better
    3. Storage space and interior space management. Can be made to match up with the size how it looks from outside
    4. Rear bench space
    5. They can add up a cabin light in the middle also
    6. Sound quality of ICE

Something I didn’t like much:
    1. Rubbery and imprecise gear shift. Hoping this to get improved with more KM adds on in ODO
    2. Turbo lag below 2,000 rpm
    3. Gear ratio distribution. Very short 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear and long 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear feels quite sluggish
    4. Lack of control for USB other than steering control. Co-passenger cannot navigate to his/her choice and always driver need to pitch in for meeting their expectation
    5. USB plugin in glove box, which is also little hard to locate
    6. 14 inch non-alloy spare wheel
    7. Very narrow driver’s foot well. My number is 10 and depending on the make of footwear, I sometime find it very difficult to adjust. Sometimes even my footwear touches steering column.

Some points compared to Swift:
    1. Punto’s steering is at heavier side. While it is bliss at high speed, highway driving. But it requires a little effort at parking speed and when driving in narrow streets with many turns and curves.While with Swift it is quite easy to steer around. Punto has HPS while Swift has EPS
    2. Turning radius is large in Punto
    3. Build quality is far better than the Swift
    4. In terms of ride and handling it is ahead of Swift with good margin
    5. Suspension is better than the Swift

Dealer I approached was KHT Fiat (Fiat Caffe). From the point when I first approached to them till the delivery of car, everything was taken care in very neat way. SA was very courteous and helpful. He answered all my queries properly, to my satisfaction level. From booking to purchasing everything went smoothly. Within a week of booking I got my car.

Some hick-ups:
    On delivery day during inspection I noticed some issues:
    1. Door-sills requested by me was not fixed
    2. Saw minor scratch on top portion of door handled for both front doors
    3. Very minor, invisible (still I was able to see :)) scratch near fuel lid
    4. Rubber trim below the right rear window was uneven and not properly sticked

I brought these things in notice to SA at that point only. He noted down all points and assured me that he will get these fixed. He asked me to come on Monday and he will get fixed all the above mentioned issues and will fix number plates. But due to office commitment I couldn't go myself and requested him for pickup and drop. He arranged the same and on Tuesday a guy came to my home and picked the car for these works. Same day around after 4 hours he dropped my car at home with all the above mentioned work done + number plates fixed.

Must say, I am quite satisfied with the way SA took care of this.

Now I am looking forward to enjoy this gorgeous powerful beast to as much as possible. It is time to know and understand her more closely so that I could be able to take best out of it.
    By the way I saw a thread going on FIAT meet. I missed this time, but will definitely like to be part of next meet :).
    5 people like this.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Abhi, Congratulations for your new possession, Please post pics.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Congratulations on the 90HP. Its time for you to update your profile to include your drive. :)
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Congrats abhi. You forgot the pics ;)
  5. abhi_k

@Surya & @Zen : Thanks buddy.....pictures will follow soon
    @ramjn: Thanks for reminding. did it now :)
  6. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Congratulations on the Punto 90!
    Wish you lots of happy miles ahead! :)

I've experienced this too. I'm a size 10 but i usually prefer my regular wears to be 11. But with the Punto a 11 footwear brushes the steering column almost everytime i tap the brake!

So that's got me switching down to size 10 everytime i drive! Glad i m able to manage with 10 :-D

May be that foot size 11 is unheard-of in Italia! :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Mods sorry about the repeat post! Please delete
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

You should have got the remote control. Then no need of driver only control music options. It works for USB/CD music play. Not yet tried for Radio.
    Who was your SA? Its good that their names are mentioned in our Ownership buying reports. They do deserve alot amount of appreciation due to their hard work, care and dealing with us and our doubts patiently. My opinion :)
  9. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Congrats Abhi for getting Tuscan Wine 90hp to home,TW is one of the Grand colour in Punto and with powerful engine 90hp,must say Awesome review given by you,one thing i want to say here is though Punto's steering is HPS compared to EPS steering of Swift in new 2013 models Fiat has made steering of Punto even more lighter at low speeds and weigh heavy at high speeds compared to 2011 or 2012 models which had little bit heavy steering at low speeds.post lots of pics of ur Beast 90hp.waiting for pics.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Congratulations on the 90hp scorcher, Add to that the intoxicating Tuscan wine colour and you have a supermodel having beauty with brains. The Punto does have an head turning effect when on roads. We need a lot of pics to drool.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Hold yourselves till the run in period before you unleash the 90 horses.