1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Non-Fiat driving experience

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by cannonera, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi,
    Owning a Punto, I rarely drive my friends or relative's cars... But on a recent trip was forced to drive my first non-Fiat car, the Polo...
    My experience, jotted below:
    1. Steering: The first reaction was it being too light... Somehow it was too freely moving. Could feel the turning radius lesser than my Punto. Steering adjusted to lowest setting was lower than the Punto. Somehow could never experience how the road was in the entire drive...Horn was too mild for my liking...
    2. Ground Clearance: This is where I felt the most handicap... Having earlier driven my Punto to Chickmaglur ghats where not once I scratched the bottom, driving the Polo in Honnavar I had on multiple occasion scratched its underbelly, couldn't guess it being so low..
    3. Seats: Felt just enough space for two adults & one grownup kid at the rear.. Front seats gave me real back pain no matter what adjustments were made...
    4. Engine Noise: Engine was very noisy, vibrations were less but you can feel that its being overworked always..
    5. Highway Drivability: Although the car seems to accelerate fast I was skeptical while driving at high speed, what with its lighter steering taking even a minute change on to the road. In contrast my Punto's steering felt solid and assured.
    6. Interiors: Never liked beige, but did see the plastics being good overall nothing eyecatching.
    Now, I Can't really understand how with such a wonderful car as a Punto it still not a Leader of Hatches...
    I wish I could ask my friend to see & experience the driving difference on my Punto but I am Too Selfish to allow that :) or maybe 'Driving Nirvana' is only reserved to a select few!!!
  2. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    Once I drove Volkwagen Vento. here are my reactions after driving it.

Power:Loads of Turbo Lag and then suddenly a burst of power. torque was addictive but the handling ,braking and bounciness spoiled everything.

Interiors: Very Spacious but very hard plastics and people like it?:confused: Less Features compared to my linea.

Exteriors: Plain-Jane but very sober and sophisticated.

NOTE:These are strictly my thinking and its not meant to offend anyone.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    With my earlier old gen Swift.
    Steering,over responsive EPS,you turn 2 degree,the car turn 20 degrees,it will be hard to see a Swift without a dent in the wheel arches for the same reason.
    Brakes,over responsive,every one inside get startled with every single braking.
    Too tall,too much of body roll.
    Too small a wheel base,no comfort at all.
    Bad suspension,constantly feel going up and down inside the car through out the whole journey.
    Cramped space at the rear.
    Seating,I always felt like sitting inside a well,with windows almost at the shoulder level.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I have driven Getz quite lot. It is a 1.3 engine and has the best in class rear seat comfort and has a good pick up in initial rpms. Its suspension is also good compared to other hyundai cars. It take humps with ease. When come to drive it is no way comparable to Fiat. When I reach 120 it starts giving a unsafe feeling. It has a hydraulic steering much better than the current i20 and verna. What I found in my punto 1.4 is that it climb the power hill steadily. The linear delivery is encouraging. I never experience a peak and a loss of power in 1.4 punto. Getz is not like that.

The other car that I drive is good old alto BS II 2004 model. It has experienced almost all mini floods that happened when I was in chennai. No under body rusting. For it's engine it has a good pick up. It was quite peppy when I bought it. Then there was a gradual decrease in peppiness as it was getting old. It was a good companion as it never failed in any worst circumstances. I have never taken it above 115 kmph. Some issues that appeared are cabin water leakage due to a block(rust) in the passage. manual window raising unit replacement, rear bearing replacement, a free gear box rattle after the last service. Other problems that occurred not because of the problem of cars are, wire cut by rat, complete carpet and seat wet due to keeping the car with window open in rain, roof tiles falling on the corner of bonnet and a riksha hit on rear side. Some scratches here and there by unknown persons.
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I have 2007 Swift Petrol and Linea MJD and driven both for long distances and also in the same routes many times.
    Swifts steering is little over responsive and in high speed cornering it tends to oversteer a bit.
    City driving is a very good but braking is nowhere near the Linea, I have a paid a price for this thinking that Swift will stop (more used to Linea braking) braking little late, and hit a truck from behind
    damaging its bonnet. Swift is very easy to drive as all levers gear,clutch etc of short travel. In City I still prefer to drive swift (Now petrol price has limited that).
    IMO Swifts body roll is negligible and stiffer suspension makes it a sporty car, I have 195/60 R14 Michelin though which adds to its handling.
    Driver seat has more room (height wise) than Linea I can sit tall and stretch my legs better, though seat is not so comfy.
    Engine is very responsive and never gets out of breath always ready for more rev.
    The car is now 5 years and planning to keep the same for few more years as it still feels new, especially engine is still so smooth :).
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After driving my punto for over 20,000 Kms. recently, driven verna and swift. Felt like driving toy cars. Steering was very light. In corners, verna felt like rolling side to side. But, swift gear ratios are awesome. we can comfortably drive in 3rd gear where as punto needs to be put in 2nd gear.
    2 people like this.
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I took a test drive of Beat Diesel..
    my father's city car is a beat petrol.. and its got a hydraulic power steering.. a go hatch.. but lack initial power
    BEat disel is a better in tems of the power, and hardly feel any turbo lag...
    the diesel got an eps.. and its feels very light , feels unsafe and bumpy...i would prefer the hydraulic power steering. overall a good city car..
    Punto is miles ahead.. except for the space , turning radius and 1&2 gears...
  8. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I took test drive of Etios diesel (top model).

1) Very cheap doors (Punto/Linea miles ahead in overall build quality)
    2) This is sedan but Punto feels big from inside (especially in front row)
    3) Not confident in breaking like Punto
    4) Suspension of Punto is better than Etios
    5) Better turning radius of Etios (but now i am used to for Punto)
    6) Cruising at 100KMPH but above feel unsafe whereas Punto easily crossed 100KMPH
    7) Overall not convinced with Etios diesel so friend booked Bolero :)
  9. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    I have got opportunity to test drive Beat Diesel, Indica Vista quadrajet before doing in Punto..

Beat Diesel is very good city car as it has very less turbo lag and responsive engine. NVH inside the car is not bad. but I tried to go over 80+ engine feel very strained.

next is Vista which is also have the same multijet engine, really like the space inside the car. but not gave enough confidence at higher speeds.

after that I did Punto and booked the car :D..

Before Punto we have alto which was good with out a/c and It could overtake any car with ease. again handling is not that good. I had driven alto that too with out power steering 624km in single day during one trip and I was very tired after the trip.
  10. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    No comparison really, but I drive a Spark 2011 model. The only thing I like about it is the steering is 'light' and very very maneuver friendly. Also you get lot of storage space around the driver's seat to keep mobile, ID, bottles (you can fill whatever you want inside them), etc.Forget about handling. Works out perfectly for me though. I drive Spark inside city and highway runs are on Punto :)

Earlier we had Alto 1.1. Excellent handling. Thats the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of that car.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

No comparison really, but I drive a Spark 2011 model. The only thing I like about it is the steering is 'light' and very very maneuver friendly. Also you get lot of storage space around the driver's seat to keep mobile, ID, bottles (you can fill whatever you want inside them), etc.Forget about handling. Works out perfectly for me though. I drive Spark inside city and highway runs are on Punto :)

Earlier we had Alto 1.1. Excellent handling. Thats the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of that car.
    1 person likes this.