1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Noise from engine compartment in 5th Gear

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by dhaya76, Jun 9, 2014.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure whether any one of you facing the problem I do in my Linea 1.3 MJD. While driving in 5th gear, when the speed touches around 50 kmph, I near a noise from engine compartment (the moment you press the accellerator, the sound is gone and there is no sound when the car is at 60 kmph speed).

This problem is there since my car crossed around 8K kms. I serviced my car in RDC ekkattuthangal and they replaced around 8 bearings (under gear box) in the car and said that the sound won't be there. But I kept getting the same sound. Last week I raised a complaint in FIAT customer care and got a call from them and they asked me to bring the car again for test drive. After they checked the car, they told me that the problem is because the RPM is around 1000 when the car is in 5th gear and speed is 50 kmph. The sound will come in all fiat diesel cars because at 5th gear the diesel cars will maintain around 1000 RPM. But before accepting that, I wanted to check in another diesel car. I could see the same sound coming from that car as well, not only in 1 car but in another car as well. Really surprised. My friend drives Nissan Sunny diesel and he told me that at 50 kmph, his car maintains around 1250 RPM and he doesn't hear any sound.

I am not sure how many of you heard the sound, if possible can some on check and confirm. Mine is Sep 2013 manufactured car and now it clocked around 22K kms.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I feel that with 50 KM/Hrs in 5th Gear engine is lugging. When you try to accelerate engine noise is evident because ECU try not to stall your car and fighting against your engine and Noise is coming. This is the time one needs to down shift and accelerate.

With my MJD i have seen if my RPM fall below 1300 RPM. My engine start lugging at 1000 RPM i have stalled the car twice. above 1300 engine response is very much evident.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    it should not stall rather still keep lugging.MIght be you have tried this when you were trying to attend the top speed. i.e. from 20Kmph to --- in 5 5th gear.

For Ex:- if you have slowed from top speed : say 100Kmph and removed the leg from A-pedal then car should slow dwon and attain the speed as per the ECU tuned minimum speed @5th gear.This will not stall the car, rather keep lugging.Try this !
    2 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Each car is different. We will have to unserstand and adjust to the car's gear ratios. I never faced such a situation like you have mentioned.

If you are facing this issue with other Fiat cars, then may be you have to change your driving style with your Linea. :)
    2 people like this.
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for your update. As said by Ramjin, I changed my driving style to make sure not to hurt the engine.

I also encountered another issue in the engine compartment (not noticed by me, it was done by the engineer who did the test drive to replicatethe above mentioned issue) with a small sound comes when you put first gear and not moving the car, hope there is no issue with the gear box. Looks like the sound comes under the engine compartment and not visible without putting the car in the ramp. My car is in the service centre to fix the problem.