1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

No Insurance for car driven "carelessly" through floods

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by ghodlur, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    It is known fact that heavy monsoons cause water logging in a many cities in India however built with lots of planning. There's no respite from these conditions if your travel route has areas plagued with waterlogging but to travel on them. In such travel the engine is prone to water ingress and may fail to work either immediately or over a period of time. For that very reason most Insurance co offer engine protector as an add on package along with the Normal Insurance cover.

The Insurance co offering the various add on packages are as below.

Bajaj Allianz offers Engine Protector
    Barati Axa Offers Hydrostatic Lock Cover
    HDFC Ergo offers Engine and Gearbox protector
    Future Generali offers Engine Protector
    Tata AIG offers Engine Secure

All of the above talk of the same protection but in different words. Buying the above add on doesnt neccessarily guarantee the complete protection when driving through waterlogged areas. Most of the Insurance co in their exclusion clauses have mentioned that an alternate route to the waterlogged areas should always be preferred.

However Insurance co have a right to refuse the claim filed under engine seizure if the vehicle owner has driven the car through the waterlogged area knowingly. This amounts to carelessness on the part of the vehicle owner as per Insurance co and is liable for refusal of the claim. Check the link below.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...consumer-forum

Mods: Searched the forum but couldnt find the related topic thread. If such a topic exists in any thread, kindly merge.
    3 people like this.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure that I do not have this add on. I was not even suggested this from policy bazaar or the agents who contacted me. I think it has to do more with the location, as I drive mostly in south India, where water logging is not that common.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Barring the 2005 floods in Mumbai, where countless car owners had their entire cars soaked in waters let alone engine and some had their cars declared total loss, there are still many areas like railway subways even today which some people need to take to travel east-west within city. Would these be termed as deliberate by the company in case sometimes these things happen; maybe they need to be more clear on this. Some subways have emergency pumps and some have metal bridges within for small cars to pass over within waterlogged subways.

image001.JPG
    1 person likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Policy exclusions always say that if available an alternate route has to be taken even if it is a longer route. But to save time, sometimes we are overcome by over confidence and dare to drive the vehicle through such areas.

Now this brings a question - what is the minimum wading capacity for Fiat vehicles? Has this information been published anywhere? We know GC of the 2012+ models are higher than the predeccessors but are the newer Punto's and Linea's certified to wade through a certain limit of water. At what height are the electronics placed i. safe height. We all know what a slight downpour can do to the car electronics. Fiat's electronics are known to have a mind of their own.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I have read some information somewhere on the forum. The key point IIRC is that water can get through exhaust and cause some terrible issues or was it back-pressures.. :? I am pretty sure, ECU is well shielded against most water logging. Still lots of other things do go kaput as was very evident esp. after the 2005 episode in Mumbai. Some fixed the cars and sold later due to multiple issues and niggles afterwards.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The thumb rule during driving through water logged areas is that the water should not rise above the lower level of the doors provided that the air intake dam is at the same level or higher. Whats the case in Punto & Linea?

For statistics purposes:
    Ford Ecosport has 220 mm GC and wading capacity of 550 mm of water.
    Renault Duster has 225 mm GC and wading capacity of 500 mm of water.
    Tata Safari, Mahindra Scorpio have wading capacity of 300 mm of water.
    Fortuner & Pajero have wading capacity of 700 mm & 600 mm respectively of water
  7. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    For Linea and Punto the top of Air Intake is almost at the level as front grille, so as long as we ensure water does not get in/splash into air intake is it safe for the engine?