1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

No indication when break pad goes out fully and making dots on disks?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sageeshr, May 12, 2015.

1. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I'm a little disappointed to hear the break disks got damaged due to pads wear out. Had I knew the pads wearing out by any sort of sensing while driving,would have replaced it on time. I have never felt any disturbance in breaking as well as never there were a sound from it. By the way its my 3rd service as covered 30K Kms in 1 yr 2 months. I read somewhere that,life of break pads varies from 30K Kms to 40K Kms. If so mine is just 30K Kms and it not only wear out but also damaged the disk.How can it happen? Is it normal?

Have any one come across such situation yet,please let me know..!
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hmm ... pads are supposed to make noise when they wear out before they start eating the disk. Unfortunately in your case they silently ate the disk! I rotate tyres every 5k. I watch the pads closely when I rotate the tyres. I change the pads when they are near the end of their life. I changed the stock pads at close to 30k when I found them very thin. Probably they could have survived for few thousands more. Why take risk - changed them.
  3. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    He he...the best practice...! Let me also try to follow,but this time close to Rs 4000 has just gone along with it:(
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I can see from your profile pic that you have alloy wheels. Brake pads are easy to inspect with alloys - just use a flash and you can easily see the outer pad thickness. I also inspect the pads during tyre rotation.

The only problem is with the inside pads that are hard to inspect.
  5. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Their normal life is around 25K Kms......You will get vibrations while barking which can be felt strongly on steering when the pads are worn out......
  6. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks guys! Though late its really great to know.
    @ prashantgupta84: You correctly said the life is 25K Kms,service adviser also pointed the same.He has even praised me for getting 5K Kms extra;).