1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

NO HONKING DAY

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: Why do People Honk ?

Did you see the similarity between these incidents? I already stated this in my opening post.

"People who honk are Bad Drivers and vice-versa. " The best part is they want you to honk too. So, its a viscous circle :banghead:
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Exactly Chandu, all have a distant dream that i wont honk and i should have a red carpet in front of me while i drive so that circumstances dont compel me to honk.

But only to avert collisions and spats on roads i do honk. I am not crazy to honk un-necessary. Its an additional task apart from Clutch, brake, accelerator and gear. I would love to delete the additional activity of honking.

But i prefer to better drive safe than be sorry later on. In many cities if you try to overtake and brush someone from behind, just because you have not alerted him, surely the person is going to bash you and damage your car. I dont want to land up in this situation just because i want to follow US or European Fantacies.

If India has less population and big roads i am sure no one would have learnt the habit of honking.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is too generic statement coming from you just because you have this mind block or philosophy. Driving is more than just honking. You cannot just generalise that bad drivers honk. Bad drivers change lanes , go zip zap , squeeze in in tight places, try surpirse overtakings without alerting :) and judging people based on how your drive yourself.
    To benchmark how others people should drive based on your own philosophy is disastrous in india.
    Just because we dont change lanes so person in front also wont - this cannot be guranteed.

Check the video i posted - there was a simple solution while overtaking to avoid near collision.

Also there are these kind of idiots as in video below

3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Honk to request before overtaking ... Else

4. GoDofWaR

GoDofWaR Novizio

mumbai, india
    apart from honking there's also a serious problem of people not waiting for someone to reverse their car.instead some people (human-beings,cyclists,bikes,ricks,hatchbacks) always get an urge to go through that small gap even when they know that it could be dangerous or cause traffic jams.why can't people have patience and logic while driving.About the honking thing, it is absolutely important that people restrain themselves in traffic jams coz its not gonna get the traffic moving.while overtaking a bus,truck,ricks,cyclists i take special precaution of honking because i dont really wanna screw my fiat's paint job and the recurring after-thoughts that i get that it was my fault, i should have honked or i should have done something different.its a big dimag ko shot thinking about it.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    If the traffic is moving at snails pace and you dont have any chance of moving ahead obviously there is no use of honking. Also one the signal turns green its imparent that person next to you is going to move. So no use of honking again.

GoDofWar - you are right, its better be safe than to feel sorry later on. The person in front of you will have simple question, why dint u honk and alert me.
    And on top of that police have a golden rule - person hitting from behind is always the culprit.

I have always experienced that when i honk, person ahead of me sees in mirror and doesnt change lane untill i overtake. Also heavy vehicles give me extra bit of space to overtake and dont squeeze me in tight gap.

When they have written at back " HORN OK, PLEASE " how can i dishonor his request :)
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Its really a Hectic to drive in Mumbai where you have these F1 Drivers zooming out with the Honking at all times.

As i am in Kuwait, do visit New Mumbai every year for 45 days, as i drive in Kuwait we never honk, Honking is just done to wave a friend that too just a very short.. or else to shout to someone with a big Honk. thats it. But the Loud horn you will hardly hear as all follow the lane discipline.

When i am in Bombay i never horn and just flash lights for overtaking, But these people don't understand the sign, and will not see the ORVM unless you Honk at them. Apart from these the Pedestrians dont walk on the Footpath, Rather they are on the ROAD.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    When i was in Germany i never used to honk. Then suddenly i saw 10-20 cars honking madly. Then my friend told me the reason - Marriage celebration. When one gets married and is returning home from church with the baraat they honk madly.
    2 people like this.
  8. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I srsly hate honking, be in my car or bike, but there are some situations wherein one cannot avoid honking

1. When you are in the right most lane and there is a cab / truck / trailer ahead of you is going at speeds of 30-40 competing with another truck / cab in the left lane as if they are racing for the F1 Championship
    2. When rickshaws in mumbai drive on the right most lane at their top speed around 50 thinking they are pilots flying a plane and when you honk they slow down further.
    3. BEST bus drivers are the worst here who change lanes as if "unke baap ki road hai" and you are forced to honk or stop in the middle of the road
    4. When you are at the signal and cars from your left and right try to squeeze you and move ahead as soon as possible as if the F1 race has just started and they are losing track position
    5. People walking in a narrow lane in the middle as they its a park
    6. When you are at a good speed on a straight road and suddenly from nowhere someone from either a left or a right intersection tries to cross your path at a speed of 10-20 and shows you his hand to stop
    1 person likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i tried no-honking for 2 days and believe me it was the worst experience I've ever had driving my car..
    i mean blr traffic is sort of manageable if you can think on your feet and have a bit of 6th sense but the point is sooner or later someone will bump into you simply because you didn't honk and let him know.
    That's the attitude followed in india..

So i feel rather than a No honking approach a Minimal honking approach would add a great deal of silence to our roads..
    I mean i'm currently in chennai and my god .... An auto which is easily 200 yards behind me starts honking from that distance itself and expects me to give way???
    He can't even come close to my car and yet he honks..

So the idea here is to really see if we can have proper training and ensure that we honk less..

PS :: My way .... In City i usually stick to a short double burst and wait , on the highways i usually use PASS (day and night) and see if the guy in front acknowledges if not depending on the scenario i give a 3sec beep and that has so far got the attention needed
    3 people like this.
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It's not to stop honking. It's about when to honk? where to honk?

I saw lots of people honking in no horn zone, specially near hospitals. Which is strictly avoided.

We can stop unnecessary honking at no horn zone or near school or near hospitals. That will also do the job.

I really don't like to honk at all but here in pune if you are not honking then some one will come in front of you from no where.

So I have to honk. But not continuous. This can work with some 10% responsible drivers.

But when it came to cab drivers then continuous honk also wont work. As they are in hurry like never before. If they stopped their lap time will get increased by another 60 min. which they can't afford. :) So no more honking to all F1 cab drivers.

Keep your drive safe & keep speed in limit in city which can avoid unnecessary honking. It's my funda for no extra honking... :)
    1 person likes this.