1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

NO HONKING DAY

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Honestly its too tough to drive without honking on the streets of bangalore which are filled with idiots...Just for example,last month I went to Palace ground and put the indicator before entering the ground,long enough for people to notice and not tailgate me..But a stupid man was soo interested in looking at his mobile that he didnt notice me,luckily i noticed him on my rear view mirror and honked a couple of times till he noticed me and went past me,while passing me he gave a sheepish smile and went away...
    There are people who dont use their rear view or side mirrors and cut lanes as if its their right of way,honking is the only way to make them come back to reality that there are other cars/bikes on the road...

I am dead against excessive and unnecessarily honking,but @most places its necessary..
    1 person likes this.
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah! Even I too felt the same last time when I visited Goa! Rest of India should look at Goa drivers for inspiration :up

Well, even I encounter this many times and it really boils my temper out :firey Once in a signal a biker made a very interesting comment to another biker who cut accross his lane. His comment was - "Boss, your bike has rear view mirrors to notice people coming from behind; not for your morning shave :evilsmile Though the comment was funny, it had a strong message!
  3. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    We had heard of instances where people caught with violations especially the drunken offense, Latest one is the incident where a couple were caught with drunken driving refused to accept, abused, broke the camera and assaulted the cop..
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Even after Portuguese have left there are still quite a few "Foreign" things to Goa !

For starters, there is huge space available with big landscapes - Goa is well distributed geographically. There are no throngs of people like you find in a bustling city like Mumbai or other. Cars still stop when a pedestrian crosses the road like abroad to give respect. And when that happens, there is no unending line of people crossing the road. But yeah, Goa is quite disciplined in Traffic violations.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Traffic signal at airport stops in the evening. But some how vehicles follow their turns. If it were cochin,chennai or Hyderabad I couldn't imagine the situation even if there is less traffic. Definitely there will be at least one accident each day.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    In Bangalore, multitasking means speaking on mobile, smoking, and driving at the same time.
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Today evening, at Jacobs Saat Rasta, my Linea was idling at a signal in B2B traffic and was just about to start as the Green signal was about to glow. Suddenly, something went past brushing the left front door turning the ORVM on the other side. I was just about to shout and then realised, she was an old lady, rag-picker, with heavy load on the back of her shoulder in a big blue plastic bag. That bag got brushed with my Linea. Anger took place of sympathy.

Such is the state of our country. Today itself, at 4 different signals, there were 4 different guys who walked/ ran past my Linea thumping it or using it as a support to run, jump (I realised only when the car was bit shaken every time). Somehow today was a special day as it happened 5 times.

As much as we like less-honking, it's not practical in conditions prevalent in India. It seems about 5-10 years away. If RTO intends to put hefty fine, my question to RTO would be - first give me some decent space on the road to drive a car, give some space to pedestrians to walk so they don't have to walk on the main road, if such facility given like skywalk in Mumbai then first enforce/ implement it having some system so that people use it, only then come to me with such "fancy" no-honking drive. Proper infrastructure/ systems are needed to think about all these. However, looking at the progress our country has made in last decade, this is not very far, at the most 5-10 years away, it seems.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Population, population population. God knows when it will go down?
  9. Maybe by AD 2212...
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Population is actually the root cause of most of the issues or grouses we have towards govt/ system/ infrastructure etc etc.

However, it has it's own advantages - it presents bigger market, it makes available cheap labour etc. But still, it's bigger a problem than advantages.