1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Whenever people see bullet coming they anyways know that something huge is coming from the ''grrr-grrr'',sound...:evilsmile and give way...
    2 people like this.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Exactly - Especially within the City where the biker move criss-cross depending on their mood. If you hit them unknowingly the first question they ask is Why didn't you honk? People are so much used to honking here and it's going to be extremely difficult unless there is a fundamental change in road behavior.
    2 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

Was being dropped home in the company cab the other day after a troubleshooting session at 3:00 AM. The driver insisted on honking every few minutes, though there was not a soul in sight. When I asked him what he was honking for, he smiled and casually replied -" To stay awake" :A :A

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This is really a good move.... when this will be implimented in Pune????? God Knows...
  5. shams

shams Esperto

i too honk for the above three reasons only but i end up honking atleast 25-30 times in a 45min-1 hr drive during peak traffic hours. can't help it as thats how people drive here.. i have noticed that road manners are quite worse in hyd and chennai when compared to bangalore!

- - - Merged Post - - -

very true.. it does make a difference if we drive slowly!!
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    No matter the size of the vehicle here.. Horns really matters a lot. Last time i heard a loud noise from behind as if a huge Lorry is coming from behind when i saw in the mirror it was a bike for my surprise.. People are using it as a assault weapon or a firing gun for all those encounters in the urban jungle like - Bengaluru traffic :hit its a must have accessory :evilsmile
  7. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Actually i enjoyed riding the bullet most when my horn was not there:) mostly because i would never go beyond 50km/hr and thats when you hit the sweet spot of the RE 350 STD..

Once i moved to EC it was altogether a different ball game with BMTC buses running amok after SILK board signal.. The traffic at Bommanahalli signal gives me a nervous breakdown with the horns honking all together... the other danger were the signals jn and vehicles from service road.. even if you have the green signal there would be some vehicles cutting your path from the service road.. I always fear getting hit by some cabs while crossing the hosa road signal.. its total lawless signal i have seen in my life
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    This is a good move but, I also doubt if this would really yield any good results from the road users. Like teky said, Indians are so much used to honking. Over 90% of the population here won't even know that honking is unethical. They believe strongly that honking and driving is the safest way to drive. If this needs to be changed, it has to start from the bottom (I mean the infrastructure and licensing needs to be streamlined). This will not be of much use if they just start penalizing without even creating any awareness.

On a side note, many days I have driven without honking even once in Chennai city. This is really possible if we drivers, have some patience. :)
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Unfortunately, there are few fundamental differences in other countries and India. Across the world, there is much more land than the heads whereas in India, there are more heads than land, not literally (population density in other countries is far far lesser than India). Here, you'll find all footpaths are overflooded and people are walking on the road as if they are roaming in a garden, completely deaf to everything as if they own the roads and are the kings. Skywalks made specifically to reduce these overflooding on the road are usually empty and not used, as people do not want to take trouble of climbing it but prefer to overflood the roads.

What you guys are saying is possible in posh upmarket areas like South Mumbai and likewise. There you can observe any kind of discipline in honking or others. Consequently, what your driving instructor advised you is correct from his view point and from the environment he is coming from.

There are not less than 5 incidents with me and that too in my apartment complex. When I was driving out of the apartment complex very slowly respecting the people walking in front of the car, when my car passed nearer to them, they shouted "arey horn to bajao, Horn bhi nahi bajata hai". This happened not less than 5 times.

That's the issue. The problem is the above and several similar items where horn is necessary constitutes more than 95% of our driving in the city !
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

In Goan roads usage of horn is minimal compared to many other places.
    1 person likes this.