1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Definetely a welcome move!
    I am just thinking of a guy[ALTO k10] who unethically crossed in to my lane. How to show my displeasure to him??? I honked a couple of times to tell him that "You did a mistake".
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Across the world, honking is used only to express the displeasure or to alert the erring vehicle. Only in India it has become a birth right for everyone who are on road.

I very well remember about what my instructor told me when I was learning to drive. He asked me to honk frequently while driving. This is how the driving on Indian roads is being taught.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

We just love honking, don't we? I resolved to not use the horn unless 100% necessary and have been following this rigorously for the past year and a bit. Now-a-days, I only honk if:

1. The vehicle in the adjacent lane is slowly drifting into my lane - specifically if ORVM is folded - to draw attention
    2. Two wheelers blocking the lane by riding in the middle @ 10 kmph, with a mobile phone cradled between the shoulder and ear
    3. Pedestrian suddenly deciding to cross the road, without checking for traffic - again while talking on a mobile phone

All these cases, it is always a short hoot, enough to draw attention. Never a long continuous honk. Personal record - BLR - TRICHY - BLR, without honking even once :D

As an American visiting friend put it - "Indian drivers are a horny lot" :D

5 people like this.
  4. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Though it looks good on paper but How are they going to enforce the law ?
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    A good move, lets see how they enforce this, very tough.

The thing is in India, we honk so much, the importance of honking is gone. Even if you honk multiple times, chances are that the guy in Alto will not put any attention to it. We all see a situation where pedestrian doesn't care if somebody is honking, they are immune to it.
    However if we all observe very less honking, this will have impact.

Ramesh, this is very tough to implement, I think their idea is to spread message that one can drive without honking as well.
    1 person likes this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

I resort to 2 small bursts and since my horns are changed its usually sufficient for folks to become aware of it.
    I hate it when people drive with ORVMs folded.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

While i completely agree that excessive honking has to be curbed, It is absolutely impossible for us to ape west or other countries where they have good roads and clear demarcation between pedestrian lanes and that for vehicles. We don't have anything as such. We see pedestrians loitering on the road happily talking on their phones, the same could also be told about many who are in four wheelers and bikes. In narrow lanes crowd is almost or completely on the road and they just don't bother to budge. Likewise i can cite numerous occasions where you are forced to honk.

I think honking is quite essential in Indian scenario and i really don't know how authorities are going to discern between honking for purpose and excessive honking. This would be yet another spade for them to unnecessarily impose fine on public, rather i would say threaten and extract bribe.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The problem is it's the traffic cops who will decide what's excessive honking! It's going to be subjective and like someone said, Indians are tuned to arguing as it's never their fault but someone else's. Result is the entire drive, in the mind's of the driver's, will be reduced to 'the cops are merely harassing driver's' hence the entire ill effects of honking will never reach the minds of driver's. The government needs to understand that you cannot have a weekly or monthly drive and expect results. Fining is again not the answer - it only results in people believing that the authorities are out to fleece money out of them - legally or illegally. BEFORE such drive's are started, the government has to ensure they create the infrastructure to make people not honk even if they desperately want to. Many of us have driven abroad and despite our best efforts we don't need to honk. First create that same thing on our roads then fine errant driver's. BUT, yes, many of our driver's need to have more patience.

Let me add to this. After the first vehice drives off the vehicle behind that was honking desperately starts crawling at 20kmph when he can easily do better. I never understood this behaviour. Why honk when you are not in a hurry?!

Very true. Road users have already become immune to honking nowaday's. It's almost as if they don't hear anything at all and keep doing what they are doing.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Looks like an offer for festive season do not honk cause diwali crackers are already there..:evilsmile

This one's latest in bangalore - Ride on footpath and you may lose driving licence - Times Of India..

Fact is 65% of the drivers who drive don't hold a valid license and the remaining 25% are those who have a valid license don't know why they have (don't have a vehicle - reqd for address proof, ID proof) but have it with them.. and the rest 10% comprises of the daily commuters in the city traffic
    1 person likes this.
  10. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

In bangalore traffic i went around with my bullet without horns(damaged and lazy to get it fixed) for almost 2 years without any issues. One thing i noticed during this time is that I used to ride very patiently. No hurry, no headaches.. This way i used to get enough time to react if someone accidently jumped in front of the bike. I used to give them a smile instead of giving them an incinerating stare..

Only once i moved to EC and frequent travel on highway did i realized the need for a horn. Even then, you can really restrict the usage. I think everybody has to take a personal resolve not to honk.
    2 people like this.