1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

NO HONKING DAY

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Nowadays, traffic lights are mere recommendations to most driver's. People honk even when the light is red irritating you to drive past the red light. If you actually do that just so the moron's at the back stop honking, you see them following you at 25kmph when you are managing to comfortably drive at 40kmph!! Hence, I believe this behaviour is not due to impatience but simply because these people can do it and get away with it. Indiscipline , rudeness & uncouth behavior is in our blood.

Another idiocity nowadays is the way people drive around a roundabout. Instead of going around the roundabout to take a right or left turn, they just take a sharp left or right and drive away. This happens in front of the traffic cops and not a single vehicle is stopped for doing this, maybe the cops are looking for sun films! Amazing that even cops don't know the traffic rules.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @amit
    If you properly handle the roundabout, other people look at you as if you are an Idiot and don't know the driving rules.
    Anyways, I always follow roundabouts religiously.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    All the days of the year are No Honking Days in Bhutan, so it seemed to me during my recent Bhutan trip.:) I didn't hear any honking even in busy Norzin Lam, Thimphu, where it was difficult to get a parking slot in the day time. No honking, no road rage, everybody follows the traffic rules there. I enjoyed my driving in Bhutan. The irony I found was, the same Bhutanese drivers after entering Jaigaon, India, happily honked, disobeyed all the rules, joined the mainstream India by following the dictum 'Be a Roman while you are at Rome'!:)
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Very true.
    More than 90% of usage of horn is because of chaotic drive. Most of the trucks will have the message 'sound horn' on rear.
    In India we can see auto drivers using horn, slang and hands at same time except indicators. :(
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I rarely honk when driving. One occasion where I honk for sure is when I get to see any motorcycle rider driving while speaking on a mobile phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I do honk at signals when the person takes his sweet own time to move the vehicle off the block. They don't seem to care about vehicle struck behind them whilst talking to co-passengers or on the phone. I also honk for the MTC buses because you never know which way they are going to sway, they probably do mood swings!
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But they never bother to give pass signal or stop signal when you honk behind them.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Honk if you wish to pay a hefty fine in Bangalore

If you are one of those who drive other road users round the bend by incessant honking, be prepared to be slapped with a hefty fine throughout this month in Bangalore.

In an effort to reduce rising noise levels in the city, the Regional Transport Office (RTO) has launched a drive against those who honk excessively. RTO Joint Commissioner (Enforcement) H.G Kumar said the RTO is fining and booking errant motorists for both air and noise pollution.

Full news - The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Honk if you wish to pay a hefty fine

Welcome move. But, what I don't understand is why should this be only for this month? This can be made as a permanent drive. I wish this gets extended to other cities as well.
    6 people like this.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is surely an welcome move! Honking is the most ridiculous thing on Indian roads. Unless strict measures are enforced, problem only worsens. Adding to this you can find various 'melodies' in private busses honks. Phew, decibel level would be worst than a train siren. Sometimes I wonder whether the famous IPL horn was inspired by these pvt busses honk sounds :evilsmile

Yes, this has to be enforced permanently. Why only for November? People have become used to honk and drive. Its like along with licence to drive; they get licence to honk as well. We have lost the patience of waiting even for couple of seconds. Since this topic has come up, am putting down a list of circumstance where honking can be absolutely avoided (please add on, atleast we TFIans can pledge to avoid it)

- At the signal, people expect the vehicle in front to take rocket start as soon as the signal turn green! Else, honk honk honk ....
    - At the signal, in case the vehicle in front fails to start or switches off while trying to move from stand still; gone case! Honk honk honk ... Give that person a break. By honking people make matters worse for the driver. He / She panics and continues to stall the vehicle which other wise could have been sorted out in few seconds. I dont understand which fool on this earth would like to be stranded on the road? Only because there is an issue, he / she would not be able to move the vehicle.
    - In bumper to bumper traffic, people expect you to take every inch of space available, else honk honk honk ...
    - Enter any one way road, switch on highbeam along with non stop hoooonk!!
    -
    -

Many times I feel that for India, vehicles should be fitted with a feature that disables honk sound if continously used for more than 5 secs!!!! :evil:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    5 people like this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    this is a good move.. but its difficult to fine ppl as we are famous in arguing.. its never our mistake and always someone else's ..
    Anyway bangalore cops even by brute force at least can curb this nasty habit. I'm happy that they are at least attempting to do something new.