1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

NO HONKING DAY

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by J Ravi, Jun 11, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Very true. Seriously. Try to think over. If your earlier car was a hatch like WagonR or Zen or Alto etc, when you honk, was the guy in front (who is trying to come in your lane in front of you) continue to intrude in your lane ignoring soft sweet horn. Compare that with the effect of a nice loud horn (almost Skoda-like) of Punto, now is that guy giving way immediately retracting his way back to his lane courtesy Punto horn ?

And Punto / Linea has both - 1. Good Brakes, 2. Nice loud Horn :mrgreen: :clap
  2. Though there are situations where you can avoid honking, we honk more as a sign of warning. A few months back I used to honk only if absolutely necessary. Seeing this my wife used to scream 'Come out of your US driving style. This is India'. And when she drives, she mostly honks to warn other vehicles to not step on her lane but then it is so frequent . Now even I have learned the hard way that honking is more of a self defense after I almost rammed into another two wheeler who was coming out of a gully without looking at the vehicles on the main road.
    I try my best to avoid honking but inevitably it happens:)
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Exactly the same as I do, assuming the other guy is going to break rules & going to come in my lane unexpectedly. Honking for warning others might be a bit frequent. So be it. After the accident has happened, what use is it to establish whether the other guy turned abruptly without any signal or its your fault etc. Prevention is better than cure. Atleast thats my theory on driving.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Absolutely right. Better some noise rather than dents. :evilsmile
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I tend to agree totally with VahanPujari's fundas on driving.

"Defensive driving" is a term that one hears quite often. It basically means that you have to assume that everyone else on the road, driver or pedestrian, is a complete moron, and that you are the only sane and sensible individual on the road. You have to have the ability to cater for the mistakes of everyone else. In a country like ours the horn becomes a very valuable and useful tool for defensive driving.

The examples given by VahanPujari in his first post are all followed by me when I drive, and in retrospect, it has saved me from near accidents a number of times. In addition, I also tend to give a short beep of the horn on all blind turns on two lane roads - quite often I have had drivers approaching in the wrong lane, or attempting to overtake at these places.

Where I find that honking can be minimised, at least in Delhi, is at traffic lights when the light turns green. In a lighter vein, I understand that the definition of a nanosecond is the time interval between the traffic lights turning green, and the horn from the guy behind you.

Johnny
  6. nik

nik

Thane
    Bad Habits of indian drivers that require a sound honk:

1) Driving parellel and SLOW so no other could pass till infinity, or unless you h***
    2) Slower vehicles tending to go diagonally rather than straight, often a tyre in each lane.
    3) Vehicles taking off from stop at side of road, diagonally rather than straight even when they have a clear road ahead.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I have observed that the use of horn is very less in Goa compared to my experience in Chennai and kerala.
    yesterday I was traveling between Edappilly and Vytila(ernakulam) Most of bike riders are using the right lane with speed between 50-60 kmph.
    When I was overtaking a truck there was a bike who was still right lane completely blocking me. The only option lefd give way. t to me to go behind him and press the horn till he get loose his tolerance, But the guy still didn't move.He deserves two hydrogen bomb each for his two ears. Finally the truck slowed down and I could able to overtake and changed to left lane.:mad:
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't understand why people at the last rows at signals honk even when signal has not turned green for the lane and the traffic is flowing from the other lane whose signal has green. This the situation when we can avoid honking.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

I experience this everyday and that's the reason my horn blew up in 6 months and i had to get it replaced under warranty. The new one is about to die too ;). I sometimes get so frustrated that i feel like getting a front Bumper "Impact bar" installed on my GP and crash into everyone who doesn't follow lanes and can't hear my horn.
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vj v1
    Man cool!